• Register Today It's free!

Finally pulled the trigger

Sp0rtTr4c

Reaction score
City, State
So. Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
04' Sport Trac
I finally went ahead and dropped my deposit down for the suspension on my Sport trac. I am going to go with a front set up similar to mid travel and pretty much a long travel rear set up. This is the start of a long build for this truck. After the suspension I will be doing 33s on 15" steel wheels, a nice stereo, tint, new windshield, roll cage, exhaust, custom fabbed front and rear bumpers, seats/harnesses, re gear, etc.

The suspension plans are as follows:
F:
Custom spindles with Dana 35 hubs, Uniball upper arms, stainless brake lines, heimed tie rod extension, 2.5x8 remote reservoir King shocks, Lower control arm bracing, upper a arm gusseting, limit straps. Should yield 9-10 inches of travel.
R:
Deaver g50e leaf springs, Warrior shackles, 2.5x16 remote reservoir King shocks, Bed cage that will still allow use of the bed. Should yield 15-17 inches of travel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool just post lots of pics.

Nice! Good luck with your build. Are you doing it yourself?

I will post lots of pics.

Thanks Breeze. No I am having Btf Fabrication in Upland, Ca do the suspension. I am very mechanically oriented but neither me or my dad can weld very good so this is a job for the professionals.

This sounds like an awesome project. I know what you mean about letting the pros handle it as I had a friend that owns a fab shop do my SAS so I don't have to worry about it falling apart going down te highway at 70mph.

Yea sometimes you gotta bring in the professionals. Either way it sounds like an amazing project. I will definitely be watching this one :popcorn:

Thanks guys I have been planning this since before I even bought the truck. I had an aunt with an 01 maroon trac and ever since I saw it and rode in it I knew I wanted to build one for the desert. Everything should be ready within 2 months and then I will go drop off the truck and get her back within 2 weeks ready to drive.

If I recall, Deaver has a new spring pack to replace the G50E packs. Those are modified Ranger springs, the new ones are designed specifically for the Explorer. Its not on their website yet, you can call and ask them about it though.

Just called them. Part number is J19, made to order, available with whatever lift you want.

Just called them. Part number is J19, made to order, available with whatever lift you want.

Really? Awesome I am going to have to look in to this. Thank you.

sounds like a cool build! i'd probably go for 44 hubs just for that added strength. i'm not sure if you could use the stock spindle for that or not. another thing is the lack of width that our trucks have. the 2.5 could be too large and an 8 might be too tall depending on the height of the hoop you have which you won't have too much room to work with. i wanted to have a hoop off of the face of the frame but had to be built on top of the frame which contacts my a/c compressor. it would probably help more if you looked at btf's long travel kit or camburgs 6.0 kit for ideas. the stock lower ball joints will also be an issue on how much travel your truck has. i replaced mine with johnny joints. if you want pics of my setup, its pretty much what you said you want up front just with necessary changes to make everything fit. i have been pondering the idea of going ahead and extending my a arms anyway and get some more space in there. not trying to rain on your parade because it does sound like a badass project, especially with the rear, just going ahead and letting you know what to look out for before you see it.

Sp0rt, awesome! Goodluck on the on the build.
Cannot wait to see the improved ST - it always to see the progress/changes of any trucks or vehicles from stock to whatever their new self.

Shooter thanks for the heads up but he has never had any problems with the d35 hub and I don't plan on beating on the truck that hard, plus it has the 5x4.5 bolt pattern. He has already built a few sport tracs so he knows what he needs to do, that is one of the reasons I chose his shop. Camburg actually runs 2.0x8.5 shocks on there kit so I have no doubt that an 8 will fit. The stock lower ball joints are being trashed and replaced with high angle ball joints. It should all come together smoothly but you never know anything can happen, I have learned that many times in the past.

Sp0rt, awesome! Goodluck on the on the build.
Cannot wait to see the improved ST - it always to see the progress/changes of any trucks or vehicles from stock to whatever their new self.

Thank you!

If I recall, Deaver has a new spring pack to replace the G50E packs. Those are modified Ranger springs, the new ones are designed specifically for the Explorer. Its not on their website yet, you can call and ask them about it though.

Yup you were right. Thanks for that info. Those are the ones I will be getting now. Good thing I posted this thread because I am ordering the Deavers on Friday. :thumbsup:

Haha, glad I could help man. Can't wait for you to get all this together, I love watching builds as they progress :D

Haha, glad I could help man. Can't wait for you to get all this together, I love watching builds as they progress :D

I can't wait either, it is pretty much all that I think about.

Small update:

The truck should be going in to the shop sometime before Monday of next week and should be under surgery for about 2 weeks. Then it will go to the tire shop for new meats and then to 4wheelparts for gears and I might go with a Detroit locker and get rid of the e locker. The wait is going to suck but it will be worth it in the end.

You dont like the e locker huh... why? I was thinking about getting one

I have heard some noises that worry me and I just don't feel confident with it. When I am on the trail I always think, what if my locker failed. I often do trails that I could never go 10 feet down if I did not have a locker, so I need something tough. I have heard that the Detroit is very strong and I will only be running 33s so I should never have to worry about it. Plus it gets old having to stop and turn it on then stop and turn it off each time you need it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the first line from Lonely Island Boys: I'm on a boat, sums this up pretty good...

"Oh sh*t get your towels ready it's about to go off!!"

Back