Burning oil, aka "Sulfur smell" TSB FAILED | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Burning oil, aka "Sulfur smell" TSB FAILED

My dealer called me and said they will also have to replace the right side DUAL RATE AIR EXTRACTOR. In the original TSB, only the left side is to be replaced. Great! Calls for another bumper removal and what not...

By the way, another owner here in the Philippines has posted that his EX has been performed for 2 TSBs for the smell: TSB 12-8-8 and TSB 12-12-04. His dealer also opted to change the tailgate weatherstrip and aligned the tailgate catch. So far he said the smell is gone.

Sound interesting.
I have had my PTU seal replaced but it did not stop the burning gear oil smell.
Any source available for this TSBs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Funny. I have been on this site for a few weeks now and this never came up on my radar. My EX Sport has 220 miles on it now and when on the freeway tonight We smelled it. No hard accelerations, just 75 steady. We exited the freeway and whew! It got worse. Recirc or fresh air didn't matter. Parked in the driveway and there was a nice pungent aura coming off the car. Is this what you guys are talking about? Do I need to take the car in that I've had for a week?

Todd

Meanwhile my Ex is not only producing smell, but now its losing gearoil. I was at a dealer and it looks like the main transmission seal is leaking. Oil is spilling out of the main seal near where forward right driveshaft comes out of the gearbox. The shaft itself and the surrounding area is dry, so it has to be the big seal going all around the transmission. While driving the oil is blown onto the exhaust system and burns off.

With about 30k miles this should not happen.

Funny. I have been on this site for a few weeks now and this never came up on my radar. My EX Sport has 220 miles on it now and when on the freeway tonight We smelled it. No hard accelerations, just 75 steady. We exited the freeway and whew! It got worse. Recirc or fresh air didn't matter. Parked in the driveway and there was a nice pungent aura coming off the car. Is this what you guys are talking about? Do I need to take the car in that I've had for a week?

Todd

Hi Todd,

I responded to your PM with your case escalation information. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Crystal

Thanks Crystal,

I appreciate the prompt attention. I am hopeful to get this nipped in the bud at my dealer on Friday.

Todd

I am hopeful to get this nipped in the bud at my dealer on Friday.Todd

Don't get your hopes up. As the original post states, it does not work. Most people that have had the TSB performed still encounter the problem. In my humble opinion, it's a aerodynamic and air recirculation design flaw that cannot be fixed.

Don't get your hopes up. As the original post states, it does not work. Most people that have had the TSB performed still encounter the problem. In my humble opinion, it's a aerodynamic and air recirculation design flaw that cannot be fixed.

Aerodynamics makes no sense to me. The odor coming out of the exhaust pipes is a DIFFERENT SMELL that what is making it's way into the cabin. Seriously, I put my nose in the exhaust, and have scientifically ruled that out. When I go in on Friday I am taking a ream of paper printed off this forum with TSBs, PTUs, and go from there. There are posts within the original that do report success. It's the optimist in me, but right now my wife will not ride in the car (or let the kids in the car) until its solved. I would then have a $45,000 paperweight...:(

Thats got to be enough for Lemon Law arbitration is it not?

Hey Guys,

Make sure that the dealer replaces both left and right DUAL AIR EXTRACTOR. The TSB calls for the left side only but our EX has 2, left and right. The TSB does help in reducing the smell but does not TOTALLY solve the issue.

After the TSB 12-12-04, there is no smell when running the EX steady at 120kph and 2.5-3k RPM. However, driving the EX with heavy acceleration at 3-4k RPM, the smell engulfs the whole cabin. The Smell is enough to CHOKE ALL PASSENGERS.

It seems that our EX is one big vacuum.

Aerodynamics makes no sense to me. The odor coming out of the exhaust pipes is a DIFFERENT SMELL that what is making it's way into the cabin(

I disagree. Look at the TSB and the parts they replace and what they do. They replace the air recirculation unit that is mounted 8 inches from the exhaust tip. They they spray all sorts of adhesives and caulking on the underbody of the vehicle directly above the mufflers. That to me indicates that exhaust is making its way back into the air conditioning system. I think under hard acceleration the fast moving exhaust is trapped in an area of negative pressure created by the aerodynamics of the car. It then makes it way back into the recirculation system, passing through the cabin air filters and ends up smelling like sulphur, aka perm solution smell. That is my analysis after having been tortured by this condition for over 1.5 years.

I don't know what to say. TSB done on mine, and the problem still there. I hope Ford engineering bring something, or the next solution will be a Trade in, really SOON.

I disagree. Look at the TSB and the parts they replace and what they do. They replace the air recirculation unit that is mounted 8 inches from the exhaust tip. They they spray all sorts of adhesives and caulking on the underbody of the vehicle directly above the mufflers. That to me indicates that exhaust is making its way back into the air conditioning system. I think under hard acceleration the fast moving exhaust is trapped in an area of negative pressure created by the aerodynamics of the car. It then makes it way back into the recirculation system, passing through the cabin air filters and ends up smelling like sulphur, aka perm solution smell. That is my analysis after having been tortured by this condition for over 1.5 years.

That has to be something that would enact a Lemon Law replacement.

Is NHTSA not investigating it yet?

I don't know what to say. TSB done on mine, and the problem still there. I hope Ford engineering bring something, or the next solution will be a Trade in, really SOON.

Hi omarjus11L,

Since you live in Puerto Rico, I encourage you to reach out to my colleagues at Ford Puerto Rico. They'll be happy to step in and assist you with getting this repaired. They can be reached at +1-800-841-3673.

Thanks!

Crystal

Hi omarjus11L,

Since you live in Puerto Rico, I encourage you to reach out to my colleagues at Ford Puerto Rico. They'll be happy to step in and assist you with getting this repaired. They can be reached at +1-800-841-3673.

Thanks!

Crystal

+2. I am also in PR and took my truck to the Dealer and couldn't detect nothing neither so i decided to wait...

Omar, what Dealer was yours made becuase i have to say that where i have take mine they have an excellent service upto now with mine????

Hi omarjus11L,

Thanks!

Crystal

I will call this week and contact your colleagues, and I hope there's a solution for this, very soon. Specially when my last family trip was a terrible experience.
Thanks for your atrention:
Omar

+2. I am also in PR and took my truck to the Dealer and couldn't detect nothing neither so i decided to wait...

Omar, what Dealer was yours made becuase i have to say that where i have take mine they have an excellent service upto now with mine????

Hi WCharon:
My dealer is Mayaguez Ford, and they bring a great service too. When they take the EX for the TSB, they show excellent care with the vehicle, and after the job they show me step by step what was done. So, I can say the job was done correctly. All I hope is a solution for this, because I don't know how much I can't hold this.

Hi WCharon:
My dealer is Mayaguez Ford, and they bring a great service too. When they take the EX for the TSB, they show excellent care with the vehicle, and after the job they show me step by step what was done. So, I can say the job was done correctly. All I hope is a solution for this, because I don't know how much I can't hold this.

OK Omar.....

I will call today and we will keep in touch to see what happens. By the way, same service at Autos Vega....

Cabin smell under acceleration

Crystal,

I do not know how to "PM" you.

I am responding about the cabin smell. Our Explorer Sport has this odor under aggressive acceleration all the time. This has been an issue since day one of ownership. I had my wife bring it in concerning this issue as she drives it daily to work and complained about it. I read the forums and discovered this thread and the tsp on it. They had some woman ride with us to show her. My wife could not duplicate the smell and therefore they would not do anything. I am very busy as a contractor and do not have much time to deal with this. As we payed almost 60k for this vehicle which we custom ordered I am a little ticked off and concerned. Mainly because she is pregnant and I know damn well these are toxic gases. I have read the posts further and discovered the tsp is NOT working. This is very alarming and we may look to get an attorney if this is not resolved with:
1: The issue fixed.
2: The vehicle returned with full refund
If this issue is not resolved immediately I will be looking at suing for poisoning my wife and unborn child intentionally since it is obvious per this thread this has been occurring since the 2011 models without a recall!!!!!!

This is disheartening as we would like to remain Ford customers as her family ALL own Fords as well as my E350 v10.

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
VIN# 1FM5K8GT3DGB84079
Mileage 16k
Chino Hills Ford

Sincerely,
Sean and Mia Kilcoin
skil70@yahoo.com

If this issue is not resolved immediately I will be looking at suing for poisoning my wife and unborn child intentionally since it is obvious per this thread this has been occurring since the 2011 models without a recall!!!!!!

Just mentioning the fact of you contacting an attorney will stop Ford from responding to you. That right there won't help your case on here.

Second, as I stated in another thread, it is not poisoning your wife or your unborn. You have zero actual evidence that it is doing that. As I just mentioned in the other thread you replied to, 3 people have put CO2 detectors and not one of them has registered or picked up any evidence of CO2.

I wouldn't want to live with the smell and I'm glad the TSB fixed it on my EX. I'm not sure what direction I'd go in, most likely the lemon law if it didn't fix it. However, stating incorrect information on here and lawyer threatening on a private forum isn't going to get you results.

Either contact the lawyer you threatened to contact and proceed with that option or work with a dealer. Even if you didn't get any other people to contact you, you have dozens of pages on here. Not sure if these pages would hold up in court or not.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Crystal,

I do not know how to "PM" you.

I am responding about the cabin smell. Our Explorer Sport has this odor under aggressive acceleration all the time. This has been an issue since day one of ownership. I had my wife bring it in concerning this issue as she drives it daily to work and complained about it. I read the forums and discovered this thread and the tsp on it. They had some woman ride with us to show her. My wife could not duplicate the smell and therefore they would not do anything. I am very busy as a contractor and do not have much time to deal with this. As we payed almost 60k for this vehicle which we custom ordered I am a little ticked off and concerned. Mainly because she is pregnant and I know damn well these are toxic gases. I have read the posts further and discovered the tsp is NOT working. This is very alarming and we may look to get an attorney if this is not resolved with:
1: The issue fixed.
2: The vehicle returned with full refund

This is disheartening as we would like to remain Ford customers as her family ALL own Fords as well as my E350 v10.

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
VIN# 1FM5K8GT3DGB84079
Mileage 16k
Chino Hills Ford

Sincerely,
Sean and Mia Kilcoin
skil70@yahoo.com
To sent a PM (private message) to Crystal or Ford reps on this forum, simply go to a post by FordService and click on that name in the left margin. From the drop down list, select 'Send a private message to....'. Or you can use this link; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968

Peter

Back