• Register Today It's free!

Door Handles

Bstollmaier

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I made a discovery tonight, and perhaps some of you already know, but chrome door handles are just a cover. One screw holds them on and then they pop off. The rear (fixed) side of the handle i'm not so sure about, I'm assuming it's screwed on from the inside. Point being though, they can be removed and painted without worrying about painting over the lock/unlock mechanism or having to take the entire handle off. Now my project list just increased :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting......where is the screw?

Pull the handle like you're going to open the door, then look at the open, back end of the handle. Once the screw is out you have to put a flat screw driver or something to pry the back end off. Then it comes off.

careful painting the keyless entried ones...
the inside is a sensor to unlock and the black button on the outside locks...

might be ok, just an fyi...

The inside is part of the actual handle, the chrome cover doesn't cover that area but good thinking.

Pull the handle like you're going to open the door, then look at the open, back end of the handle. Once the screw is out you have to put a flat screw driver or something to pry the back end off. Then it comes off.

Hi, photos please :) thanks!

This may be very useful info when it comes to wrapping mine. Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to go check this soon.

This is a great insight. I have to re-shoot mine because it was tough to get the inside part pasti-dipped. If I can take them off, it will be much easier to do them now!

Pics are a must!

I'll take some pics tonight if I have time. It's that or play with my magnaflow catback that showed up today much to my wife's suprise haha.

They go back together without much trouble? I took the screw out on mine but was afraid to pry on it as it didn't appear to be letting go.

It's on pretty good. The hole/flange that the screw goes through goes into a recess. You just have to get a knife or screwdriver behind that spot and pry. I've taken 2 off so far successfully. That's not to say it couldn't break I guess but it seems it flexes enough to release. The rear, chrome part of the handle I'm not sure about, I assume it's screwed on from the inside.

I'm now debating painting the handles rather than wrapping them. The only issue I have is as you stated the back part coming off.

Thanks for the pics! Now if someone else would be able to find out how to remove the back part, I'll be set to wrap the handles in carbon fibre vinyl :)

I'm waiting to figure this out too. That would make life a whole lot easier.

Nice, good job!

Back