• Register Today It's free!

grille guard question?

City4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey all, I currently have the chrome grill guard that tube one that cant take a hit from those terrible parkers... Well thats where im at my car is spotless and have this terrible looking dented ****.. Pardon my language. I am looking for a grille guard that doesnt cover the headlights just the grill, But i want metal something strong. Please help. the ones i found say they cant fit my truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bull bars are similar, will come up about half as high as a grille guard, are more curved, and don't cover the headlights. Google image search them.

Finding a solid (or VERY heavily gauged) steel or metal grill guard will (in my opinion) be damned near impossible, due to manufacturing methods and extreme price.

My knowledge on that last part may be more limited than others. Perhaps someone knows more about heavy-duty guards made for explorers.

Hunter (Truck Gear Direct) makes black and chromed grille guards at affordable prices with the headlight pieces removable. I currently have just the center of the grill guard on without the headlight pieces (have to fab up a quick bracket to raise the whole thing 3" first).

From what I know, nowadays grille guards are really just for looks, mounting surfaces, and helping to absorb some of the blow in a mild hit. Anything stronger can actually be detrimental, transferring too much impact force through the frame and chassis. I've heard a few horror stories about hitting a deer (and such) and having the grille guard stay solid, but the underside of the truck bent slightly. Just my thoughts.

-Dubya

(have to fab up a quick bracket to raise the whole thing 3" first).

Just flip the brackets around and upside down and mount them inside the frame rails instead of underneath. That's what I did with my 3" BL.

Just flip the brackets around and upside down and mount them inside the frame rails instead of underneath. That's what I did with my 3" BL.

That intrigues me. I'll take a look at that after work.

That intrigues me. I'll take a look at that after work.

You'll only be able to use 2 of the 3 mounting holes, but its more than enough to hold it on.

an old member had a Go Rhino push bar which looked pretty sturdy

6751266321_129d7a1988_b.jpg

http://www.gorhino.com/productsDetails.aspx?id=9367

Back