2013 Ford Explorer Limited Fuel Leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Ford Explorer Limited Fuel Leak

Reaction score
City, State
Orange, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Limit.
Bought my new 2013 Ford Explorer Limited in January 2013. I know the car is not broken in but every since I've received it, no matter how it was driven it gave me 14.2 mpg. Now it is April 2013 and I am starting to smell fuel leaking somewhere. I've taken it to the local ford dealership and they find nothing wrong. the next day I go to the garage and smell leakage again... my wife drives it and calls me and says the smell is terrible. the Car has now been at the dealership for three days. On day one they say they can not see any leaks but at least now they do smell it also. On day #2 they call the Ford head office for help & I've told them that researching this online say the leak can be on the top side of the fuel tank and the tank will need to be removed. Now it is day #3 and the service writer calls and says the are removing the fuel tank and replacing the fuel pump sender. After all of this on a vehicle that you spend $47000 for (tax, license etc OTD) I wonder if this problem will be solved. I am posting this because the car is new... Should there be a recall on something.. I notice that there was a thread about the fuel tanks... umm.. what really is the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New car has problem, owner takes it to dealer, dealer troubleshoots issue and begins to fix it. What's the issue? All cars have problems no matter how much you pay for it. Sounds like Ford is taking care of it and it's of no expense to you.

There is a limited recall affecting some 2013 Ex's built on certain dates.

The recall notice has the dates, call Ford Cust care with your VIN
and they will tell you if your car is affected.

(However this doesnt mean all the cars are openly leaking fuel - but its a possibility)

post here has direct link to VIN site to plug in your info to check.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382843

I thought on of the reasons for having a forum is to share information. If other owners are having similar problems then there is a bigger issue. The problem for others that may wish to know is that there was a leak where the fuel line connects to the fuel pump / sender assembly. It was corrected at no cost as you would expect. I was not complaining but rather trying to find out if others were having similar things happening... and now it is documented that at least one person has had this issue... The guy posting with his sarcasm is a bit off base.

Bought my new 2013 Ford Explorer Limited in January 2013. I know the car is not broken in but every since I've received it, no matter how it was driven it gave me 14.2 mpg. Now it is April 2013 and I am starting to smell fuel leaking somewhere...

Hi Reckless Riley,

I'm glad to hear that your dealership is taking care of you. In the future, you can enter your VIN here to see if you have any applicable recalls: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/RecallsPage. Also, I'm always happy to do what I can to assist. If something comes up in the future, send me a PM with your information (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name) so I can look into some options.

Thanks!

Crystal

I thought on of the reasons for having a forum is to share information. If other owners are having similar problems then there is a bigger issue.... I was not complaining but rather trying to find out if others were having similar things happening... and now it is documented that at least one person has had this issue....

Thanks for the post Riley. You can add one more person to your list with this issue. For me this issue started Tuesday. I called my local dealer and was told they can't see me till Monday. Would think a possible fuel leak/issue is a solid reason for a higher priority to get it in quick, but no, I still have to wait the week. Will let you know what they say come Monday.

Ok, so here is my update....

I took the truck to the dealer on Monday and I got the truck back last night. They said the truck's Fuel Pump was leaking and that the repair will fix both my leak and dismal MPG. To fix it they had to drop the exhaust and fuel tank. No smell when I picked it up so all seems good. They did give me a loner, which was cool...a Flex, gotta say I am so glad I got my Explorer instead...dont like the Flex at all. Well, this morning I got a call from the dealer saying that the mechanic wants me to bring it back in cause he isnt sure if he tightend the fuel filler cap correctly.

Anyway, so it was three days for the repair and despite the filler cap issue (which I do apreciate the call back) I'm pleased with the service. My only new issue is the Bluetooth all of a sudden doesnt want to stay connected...gonna have to look at that one. Good luck Reckless...hope its working out for you.

Gas Leak

My 2013 Explorer started out with the occassional whiff of gasoline but within a week it was nauseating. The dealer immediately figured the tank was leaking but after looking at it decided it was the pump. It is at the shop now waiting for a back ordered fuel pump. No ETA on when they will get it so this must be a pretty widespread problem. There should be a recall as a gas leak is a pretty serious issue.

IIRC, for a recall, doesn't it have to affect a large number of vehicles ?

Yes, fuel leaks are not good, but it seems the few posted here are the only time I've heard of it...

FYI, Our Audi was in the shop MANY more times than our ExSport has been in...

the wife loves it !

Update

The dealer informed me yesterday that the fuel pump is on backorder until June 15th!!! I have already been without my vehicle for a week and now they won't even work on it until June 17th at the earliest!!! Not a happy explorer!!

The dealer informed me yesterday that the fuel pump is on backorder until June 15th!!! I have already been without my vehicle for a week and now they won't even work on it until June 17th at the earliest!!! Not a happy explorer!!

Hi kbeez3,

Shoot me a PM with your information so I can check out some options to help. I'll need your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Crystal

Bought my new 2013 Ford Explorer Limited in January 2013. I know the car is not broken in but every since I've received it, no matter how it was driven it gave me 14.2 mpg. Now it is April 2013 and I am starting to smell fuel leaking somewhere. I've taken it to the local ford dealership and they find nothing wrong. the next day I go to the garage and smell leakage again... my wife drives it and calls me and says the smell is terrible. the Car has now been at the dealership for three days. On day one they say they can not see any leaks but at least now they do smell it also. On day #2 they call the Ford head office for help & I've told them that researching this online say the leak can be on the top side of the fuel tank and the tank will need to be removed. Now it is day #3 and the service writer calls and says the are removing the fuel tank and replacing the fuel pump sender. After all of this on a vehicle that you spend $47000 for (tax, license etc OTD) I wonder if this problem will be solved. I am posting this because the car is new... Should there be a recall on something.. I notice that there was a thread about the fuel tanks... umm.. what really is the problem?

On 5/31 a recall was released for fuel pump module replacement on all 2013 explorers due to possible fuel pump outlet breakage. That is your fuel smell. Make sure they use the updated part or they will have to replace it again.

On 5/31 a recall was released for fuel pump module replacement on all 2013 explorers due to possible fuel pump outlet breakage. That is your fuel smell. Make sure they use the updated part or they will have to replace it again.

Ya, just saw that when I ran a health report the yesterday... Most likely why parts are back ordered too as they replace the old with updated.

recall for all 2013 Explorers???

Is there a recall for all 2013s?
My Ford Owners link does not show any recalls for my vehicle.

This is Reckless Riley... I'm about to take close to a 5000 mile road trip in my 2013 Ford Explorer. It was late April that the Orange dealership, villa ford, replaced my fuel pump/sender unit. I haven't had any issues since the replacement but with the posts that I read now I wonder when my replacement fuel pump / sender unit was manufactured and is it an updated part. I going to do a little research on this issue but if anyone has already done this please let me know. The part number on my invoice was FMC DB5Z 9H307C. To me this is a very serious problem when gas is leaking. I've checked the Ford Owner's website site and for my VIN number there is no recall at this time. Is this an issue of we don't want to admit to much? Thanks guys for your posts.

This is Reckless Riley... I'm about to take close to a 5000 mile road trip in my 2013 Ford Explorer. It was late April that the Orange dealership, villa ford, replaced my fuel pump/sender unit. I haven't had any issues since the replacement but with the posts that I read now I wonder when my replacement fuel pump / sender unit was manufactured and is it an updated part. I going to do a little research on this issue but if anyone has already done this please let me know. The part number on my invoice was FMC DB5Z 9H307C. To me this is a very serious problem when gas is leaking. I've checked the Ford Owner's website site and for my VIN number there is no recall at this time. Is this an issue of we don't want to admit to much? Thanks guys for your posts.

The part number depends on the engine and if it is CA emissions. And yes the recall covers all 13 explorers regardless of what engine it has. It also covers Taurus , Flex, and the Lincoln models built on this chassis. This is not the same concern as the fuel tank replacement recall, that is a different recall only affecting a small number of vehicles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Recalls for all Ex?

Is there a recall for all 2013s?
My Ford Owners link does not show anything for my vehicle.

Not sure But thanks to this thread I found one for my new (bougth Feb 2013) XLT.

Will check with my dealer in the morning.

ID: 13S04

Title: FUEL DELIVERY MODULE REPLACEMENT

Back