• Register Today It's free!

LED Reverse Light Upgrade

Harley#356

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
We got a 2013 Explorer Sport last week.....already did the interior swap to LEDs (dome lights, visor lights, glovebox light, 3rd row cargo lamp) and the mirror puddle lamp LEDs, and tag light LEDs, but the reverse lamps were begging for an upgrade too!

Factory bulb size is W21W which is an odd one, but 7440 992A also both cross reference it.

Picked these up from Ebay for $28.50 with free shipping, and they're a US seller so it only took 2 days to get them.

I know this ebay link won't last forever so trying to give the full details for guys searching in the future. These have twelve 5050 SMD LEDs around the perimeter, which reflect off the factory reflector to project to the sides, and also a single large Cree Q5 7 Watt LED with a projector lense to really throw and disperse the white light outwards behind you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27119721751...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3819wt_940

I definitely recommend getting these ones with the 5050 SMD perimeter LEDs beyond just the rear facing projector one, to use the factory reflector to maximize light output.

Pic of the bulbs....

LEDs-17.jpg

Factory yellow light....

LEDs-18.jpg

Pure crisp white LED light....

LEDs-19.jpg

Half and half....pics are hard to show difference in light output, but they show the difference in light color...

LEDs-20.jpg

View of the backup camera, you can see one half is yellow and one half is nice white....

LEDs-21.jpg

Install completed....nice white LED reverse lights to go with the nice white LED tag lights, and LED brake lights and 3rd brake light. Waiting on my LED turn signals to arrive next.

LEDs-22.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How did you manage to do the 3rd row cargo light swap, I know there are a few people on here attempting it.

This is definitely a nice mod, you didn't happen to take pics for a DIY?? Thanks

There are pics posted, can't you see them? Sometimes that site I use doesn't let the pics show up for guys in canada for whatever the reason.

As for the install part, it's really way too simiple to even do step by step for. Open the hatch, there's 2 plastic plugs on the inner jamb by each taillight. Pop those out and there's an 8mm bolt under each. Use an 8mm nut driver and remove those 2 bolts, pull the taillight straight back towards the rear, twist the bulb socket, swap the bulb, reinstall light pushing forward, reinstall two 8mm bolts, reinstall 2 caps, close hatch.

I can see the pictures, just none of the actual install process....I didn't know if it was going to be simple or difficult as I hadn't looked into this yet. I did however oder the bulbs off your link and will be doing this when they get in.

So even though the ebay post says "not compatable for your vehicle" they still fit and work easily ??

How do you access that reverse light bulb?

I'll do up a DIY when I install mine. I saw the ebay non compatibility thing too, but figured if those are the ones he got and they fit in his car then it should be good to go. For some 30 bucks shipped, can't really go wrong.

I can see the pictures, just none of the actual install process....I didn't know if it was going to be simple or difficult as I hadn't looked into this yet. I did however oder the bulbs off your link and will be doing this when they get in.

oh okay. Just follow the steps I posted before. It's really a piece of cake. Open the hatch, pop off the 2 plastic caps on each side in the door jamb, remove the two 8mm bolts on each side, slide the taillight straight backwards, swap the bulbs, and reverse.

So even though the ebay post says "not compatable for your vehicle" they still fit and work easily ??

Yup. Can't expect ebay to know every single vehicle that the bulb could possibly fit on. And with the cross reference of various bulb sizes being interchangeable. I looked up the bulb size in the manual, looked up that bulb size on ebay, and it all matches up and works perfectly.

There are pics posted, can't you see them? Sometimes that site I use doesn't let the pics show up for guys in canada for whatever the reason.

As for the install part, it's really way too simiple to even do step by step for. Open the hatch, there's 2 plastic plugs on the inner jamb by each taillight. Pop those out and there's an 8mm bolt under each. Use an 8mm nut driver and remove those 2 bolts, pull the taillight straight back towards the rear, twist the bulb socket, swap the bulb, reinstall light pushing forward, reinstall two 8mm bolts, reinstall 2 caps, close hatch.
The LED bulbs appear to have a different base than the regular bulbs. Do they just plug into the socket without any modification? I haven't checked my bulbs but assume they are the regular push and turn type base.

Peter

LED Turn Signals

What bulbs are you using to replace your turn signals? Thanks for the information about the reverse lights. :chug: I placed my order in just a little bit ago.

The LED bulbs appear to have a different base than the regular bulbs. Do they just plug into the socket without any modification? I haven't checked my bulbs but assume they are the regular push and turn type base.

Peter

Push and turn? It's not a 1985 model LOL. The factory bulb has a glass base, these have a plastic base. They plug in identical though. Just like replacing the 194 interior and tag light LEDs the factory bulb is all glass, the LED is a plastic base, but plugs in the same.

Don't overthink this mod, it really is as simple and straightforward as I typed up the how-to. It's extremely simple and straight forward.

What bulbs are you using to replace your turn signals? Thanks for the information about the reverse lights. :chug: I placed my order in just a little bit ago.

I'll post that up once I test them out first. Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to do the turn signals. The fog lights were a giant failure. The one set with 12 5050 SMD LEDs and a 7w CREE didn't fit through the foglight housing. The other set with 18 5050 SMD LEDs fit, but only one side worked (the connector must have had the polarity backwards on the other bulb, but you can't plug the H11 connector in any different like you can plug 194 bulbs or festoon bulbs in either direction lol). I think I'm going to return both sets and just go HIDs in the fogs.

I'll post that up once I test them out first. Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to do the turn signals. The fog lights were a giant failure. The one set with 12 5050 SMD LEDs and a 7w CREE didn't fit through the foglight housing. The other set with 18 5050 SMD LEDs fit, but only one side worked (the connector must have had the polarity backwards on the other bulb, but you can't plug the H11 connector in any different like you can plug 194 bulbs or festoon bulbs in either direction lol). I think I'm going to return both sets and just go HIDs in the fogs.

Funny that you mentioned that about the fog lights. I just turned them on for the first time tonight and noticed that they are NOT already HIDs like my headlights ('13 explorer Limited). They are a more yellowish color plain light. Doesn't look that great. Will definitely need to swap them out with HIDs or something to better match the headlights. I'm a newbie though when it comes to this lighting stuff, but am learning.

Funny that you mentioned that about the fog lights. I just turned them on for the first time tonight and noticed that they are NOT already LEDs like my headlights ('13 explorer Limited). They are a more yellowish color plain light. Doesn't look that great. Will definitely need to swap them out with HIDs or something to better match the headlights. I'm a newbie though when it comes to this lighting stuff, but am learning.

If you have factory HIDs on your limited headlights then you'll want 4300k HIDs for the foglights to match the color output. I think the limited fogs are the same as the sport fogs which are H11.

Hi Harley, wanted to know how much clearance does it leave now between the bulb and the glass of the rear lights, coz the length of the led measures 1.26" and looking at the depth of the rearlights it seems that it will touch the glass. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure the exact measurement, but there's a ton of room still. The LED is still recessed decenly far back into the housing. On my Raptor I have the same style bulbs and they're maybe 1/8" from the plastic on the inside and I haven't had any issues. THe Sport there's a lot more room than that. No worries on clearance.

Back