Broken seat BOLTS!!!

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
So today, all I was going to do was take out my seat, and replace the broken seat belt latch, right, nope!!!! BOTH of the bolts on the rear of the seat snapped clean off, flush with the damn ground!!! WTF am I suppose to do now, I cannot be driving around with only 2 bolts holding my DRIVERS seat in. :fire: :frustrate :banghead: :censored: Looking for suggestions here guys, I am really PO'd in case you cannot tell. Also F#$@ Ford and using 8mm bolts to hold a seat into place, that is simply stupid!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they get rusted in place and also can get undercoating and other crap stuck in their threads. then they snap off when you try to remove them. i'd just drill them out and replace them with some grade 8 bolts w/nuts.

they get rusted in place and also can get undercoating and other crap stuck in their threads. then they snap off when you try to remove them. i'd just drill them out and replace them with some grade 8 bolts w/nuts.

Yea, after I was about to say F it, I noticed they come through the bottom. I am heading to ACE right now to puck up bolts and supply's.

I'm pretty sure they are bigger than 8mm, although it's been some time since I've removed my seats.

I'm pretty sure they are bigger than 8mm, although it's been some time since I've removed my seats.

He means the threads, not the head. Bolts are measured by the size of the part under the head...

if you can get at the bolts from the bottom, you might be able to screw them out from that side, as the threads in the nut may not be too badly fowled. vice-grips maybe... just a thought.

He means the threads, not the head. Bolts are measured by the size of the part under the head...

I know...
I just remember them being pretty large, 8mm isn't that big.

The bolts were 8x1.25. Which is really small for a seat bolt in my mind, the HEAD size is 10mm. I drilled them out, and put in some 5/16-18 bolts, with thick washers, good as new, and this time I used Anti seize! :D So much work to replace a damn seat belt latch. Time for a beer, lol.

So much work to replace a damn seat belt latch.
You took those words right out of my mouth.

Spent hours and days getting the seat belt outta my old 92 Ex. I hate lock-tite...

Back