Adding a backup / rearview camera | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding a backup / rearview camera

I know this post is a bit old, but I did install a backup camera on my 2013 Ford Explorer Base model SUV.

I created a blog of the steps I took, please take a look: http://2013explorerdiy.blogspot.com/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know this post is a bit old, but I did install a backup camera on my 2013 Ford Explorer Base model SUV.

I created a blog of the steps I took, please take a look: http://2013explorerdiy.blogspot.com/

Nice write up... I'm sure this will be useful for those looking to add a rear view camera to the base.

Nicely done. I was going to do the same arrangement, but was delayed when the car was out of service for many months. The location you used for the monitor is exactly the same, chosen given the visual proximity of view to the rear view mirror on the left door. The only difference was I had sourced an OEM camera for the tailgate. Again, congrats on a neat install and a comprehensive "how to"

Nicely done. I was going to do the same arrangement, but was delayed when the car was out of service for many months. The location you used for the monitor is exactly the same, chosen given the visual proximity of view to the rear view mirror on the left door. The only difference was I had sourced an OEM camera for the tailgate. Again, congrats on a neat install and a comprehensive "how to"

Thanks,

Another thing I am thinking of doing is adding the same or similar camera on the front, so I can record, using the raspberry pi computer.

Right now I have a $25 video recorder, but that freezes once in a while.

Nice write up... I'm sure this will be useful for those looking to add a rear view camera to the base.

Thank you,

Yes, I have been searching for someone to have written something up on this, but did not find anything so I decided I would do it myself.

attn: Razziel24

I know this is a very old thread, but I'm curious why you and others have stated that the standard Explorer screen is not capable of displaying Video? I'm wanting to try to copy a friend's successful OEM upgrade on my XLT base radio per the following experience. My friend and I rented a 2012 XLT equipped with the standard MyFord System Radio and display. The vehicle surprisingly had OEM backup camera and the standard small radio screen displayed the backup camera images just fine. The radio Button array and display were identical in every way to Ford's standard XLT base radio's. My friend also had the same radio and, like me, had always wanted to add OEM backup to his XLT; but Only if available without invalidating 2 years warranty, and via plug and play. I copied down the VIN to find out what was up? The VIN showed us that Ford built XLT's for sure in 2012 and possibly other models and years with Backup camera capability on the standard Radio system with the same display. The Radio/display part number appears identical. He acquired an extremely discounted OEM camera $167, tailgate wire harness w/8 pin $31 and paid Ford $95 to Flash the system to "see" the camera and was Successful. (Later was told that by simply disconnecting battery, upon reconnect the camera would probably be activated/found by radio saving flash cash???)

What is the reason you say some screens don't work? Does Ford offer more than the 2 Radio options including the basic MyFord System or the MyFord Touch? None of the above discussion involves MyFord Touch radios.
Sure could use some help getting pointed in the right direction, as I also don't have any interest in an aftermarket solution, but sure don't want to waste my time and money if it can never work? Thanks in advance for your help and attention.

Back-up Camera

Hi all !

I've read pretty much all threads in here regarding adding a backup camera afterwards.

I've come to the conclusion that we are pretty much SOL unless you got it from factory of course.

I know I can add an after market one with either Rear view mirror display or on dash display. But I really wanted the factory Ford one.

So that brings me to my question...

In a thread I saw that someone discovered that the wiring harness in the lift gate is not the same with or without a camera. But what I haven't seen anywhere is, if the wiring harness is the same in the roof. Perhaps by changing the Wiring harness from the roof entry point and throughout the entire lift gate might work ?

If anyone has information or opinions that would be great :)

Cheers !
Jo

Hi all !

I've read pretty much all threads in here regarding adding a backup camera afterwards.

I've come to the conclusion that we are pretty much SOL unless you got it from factory of course.

I know I can add an after market one with either Rear view mirror display or on dash display. But I really wanted the factory Ford one.

So that brings me to my question...

In a thread I saw that someone discovered that the wiring harness in the lift gate is not the same with or without a camera. But what I haven't seen anywhere is, if the wiring harness is the same in the roof. Perhaps by changing the Wiring harness from the roof entry point and throughout the entire lift gate might work ?

If anyone has information or opinions that would be great :)

Cheers !
Jo
Welcome to the Forum gomli.:wavey:
As I mentioned in my PM to you, I moved your thread/post to this existing one on the same topic. From reading some of the posts, it seems that the wiring harness in the roof is not the same as if you ordered that camera from the factory. That is the feeling I get but I have been wrong a couple of times.;)
I'm sure that someone can provide a definitive answer.
Good luck.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum gomli.:wavey:
As I mentioned in my PM to you, I moved your thread/post to this existing one on the same topic. From reading some of the posts, it seems that the wiring harness in the roof is not the same as if you ordered that camera from the factory. That is the feeling I get but I have been wrong a couple of times.;)
I'm sure that someone can provide a definitive answer.
Good luck.

Peter

Sorry about the extra post, was my first one one this forum hehe :)

That was my impression to, that Ford would have a harness for each type of option ordered for the vehicle, but when I looked on FordParts.com, I only see 2 Roof wiring harness, one with sunroof and one without. As opposed to the tailgate harness that has a multitude of options in regards to a combination of with/without camera and manual/automatic liftgate.

Again, this is probably just wishful thinking.

Cheers

Sorry about the extra post, was my first one one this forum hehe :)

That was my impression to, that Ford would have a harness for each type of option ordered for the vehicle, but when I looked on FordParts.com, I only see 2 Roof wiring harness, one with sunroof and one without. As opposed to the tailgate harness that has a multitude of options in regards to a combination of with/without camera and manual/automatic liftgate.

Again, this is probably just wishful thinking.

Cheers

Nervermind, I just did a proper search and it would appear that their are many wire harness for the roof... mind you none of them mention with/without camera...

attn: Razziel24

I know this is a very old thread, but I'm curious why you and others have stated that the standard Explorer screen is not capable of displaying Video? I'm wanting to try to copy a friend's successful OEM upgrade on my XLT base radio per the following experience. My friend and I rented a 2012 XLT equipped with the standard MyFord System Radio and display. The vehicle surprisingly had OEM backup camera and the standard small radio screen displayed the backup camera images just fine. The radio Button array and display were identical in every way to Ford's standard XLT base radio's. My friend also had the same radio and, like me, had always wanted to add OEM backup to his XLT; but Only if available without invalidating 2 years warranty, and via plug and play. I copied down the VIN to find out what was up? The VIN showed us that Ford built XLT's for sure in 2012 and possibly other models and years with Backup camera capability on the standard Radio system with the same display. The Radio/display part number appears identical. He acquired an extremely discounted OEM camera $167, tailgate wire harness w/8 pin $31 and paid Ford $95 to Flash the system to "see" the camera and was Successful. (Later was told that by simply disconnecting battery, upon reconnect the camera would probably be activated/found by radio saving flash cash???)

What is the reason you say some screens don't work? Does Ford offer more than the 2 Radio options including the basic MyFord System or the MyFord Touch? None of the above discussion involves MyFord Touch radios.
Sure could use some help getting pointed in the right direction, as I also don't have any interest in an aftermarket solution, but sure don't want to waste my time and money if it can never work? Thanks in advance for your help and attention.

hey man, this is very interesting, I ended up getting a generic camera and a rearview mirror with display.
I assumed that the oem base model radio was not capable of displaying video, but this sounds very good... i wonder if anyone got it working

Back camera

Hi guys
Glad to be a member of this great community.
I have an explorer 2013 Base level and after getting my vehicle, I realized that I made a huge mistake of not getting something with back camera and touch screen. Now,I need to install a rear camera,but after searching in google and youtube I have seen some videos of poor installation and not sure which type will be ok . Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum Sunshine Lover.:wavey:
As indicated in my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one. Perhaps you will find some helpful info here.

Peter

After market backup camera question

I have a question that I haven't been able to find an answer to. We have a new 2015 Explorer base model.

It doesn't have a backup camera, but we've decided we'd like to have one. I'd prefer not to replace the rearview mirror or velcro a receiver on the dash. Can it work with the Radio/Sync display? I see there's a aux button and wondering if that's where it would attach?

If so, any suggestions on the best reasonably priced ones? Would adding an aftermarket camera invalidate any part of the warranty?

thanks!

Welcome to the Forum altbronco.:wavey:
I used the Forum's 'Search' program and found this thread and merged yours with it. Post 41 has some interesting installation instructions. Adding a camera should not affect your warranty unless the camera is traced back as the issue for any future problem you may get. And then it would only affect the warranty on that part. Good luck.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum altbronco.:wavey:
I used the Forum's 'Search' program and found this thread and merged yours with it. Post 41 has some interesting installation instructions. Adding a camera should not affect your warranty unless the camera is traced back as the issue for any future problem you may get. And then it would only affect the warranty on that part. Good luck.

Peter

Thank you!

Same Place

I'm in the same boat, just bought 2015 Base, really want to add the rear view camera. Still never read any posts that seem very good.

You are going to have to jump through lots of hoops and trial and error if you want anything close to OEM which I believe is through the 4.2" display in the center stack. I am pretty sure it is doable just not simple.

I would look for a good aftermarket kit.

Is MFT a requirement for the backup camera? I've seen the camera on the 4.2 center screen and also the rearview mirror (also oem).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is MFT a requirement for the backup camera? I've seen the camera on the 4.2 center screen and also the rearview mirror (also oem).

On a 2013 Utility the OEM back up camera is in the rear view mirror.

Back