• Register Today It's free!

Back to the knobs?

Hammertime3

Reaction score
City, State
Seaford, De
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Have any of you folks seen this or know anything about it? Is it coming to all Ford models?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/06/17/ford-myford-touch-infotainment-sync/2432489/

Ford restores low-tech knobs to cars' touch screens
Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY 5:18 p.m. EDT June 17, 2013The move is a response to criticism that its infotainment systems are overly complilcated
The knobs found in the 2013 Ford F-150, like this one, will be part of the MyFord Touch touch screen system on other models(Photo: Ford)
Story Highlights
Ford is putting back plain old knobs for control infotainment systems
It has tried to do without, just having a touch screen
Consumers found the touch screen to be too complicated and hard to use
After loads of criticism, Ford is taking some of the touch out of MyFord Touch, its touch screen-based infotainment system.

It is restoring knobs to the controls, much as it has done all along in its F-150 trucks. The announcement comes two days before J.D. Power and Associates is due to announce its annual Initial Quality Survey, a closely watched industry measure. For the past two years, the survey has dramatically lowered Ford's ranking in overall quality, apparently largely because of the complicated and distracting infotainment system controls. Each time, Ford executives said they are fixing the problem.

Ford buried the announcement that is going to put back knobs -- a fixture of controlling entertainment systems since the invention of the car radio -- instead just touch controls in an announcement touting all of MyFord Touch's sales success. It says it use the same system that it has seen in its pickup trucks across the Ford lineup.

"While the features made available by MyFord Touch are certainly compelling, the replacement of simple knobs and buttons may have been a bit overkill," says Jack Nerad, exective editorial director for Kelley Blue Book. "When it comes to performing simple tasks, such as adjusting the volume of the radio, its best to stick to what works and what people are familiar with, and in this case, nothing beats a knob."

Ford says MyFord Touch, along with a feature that syncs it to a cellphone, are sold on 79% of its 2013 vehicles. It says more than half of customers cite the touch screen as a reason to buy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Already a thread about it in the infotainment area.

Fine...now, how do I find it? I've never seen this "infotainment" area.

Guessing there will be a new 2015 Ford Explorer redesign then.
I'm hoping there will be. My lease is up March 2015.

Peter

Back