two hydraulic tensioners for timing chain | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

two hydraulic tensioners for timing chain

rocket22

Reaction score
City, State
La Grange, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer xlt 4 wd
Tensioner question: If I just replace the two hydraulic tensioners for the timing chain, is there any probability the rattle will diminish on a 2000 4.0 SOHC with 165K miles?

The cost of the full replacement is not worth it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, it's a possibility, especially if you only or mostly get the rattle at start up.

What happens is the tensioner allows rattle until the oil pressure builds up, during that time the chains thrash about and destroy the guides.

Stop the start up rattle and the guides will last longer.

But, the rattle in my XLT was in the intermediate chain and the tensioner for that is inside.

My guess would be, extremely low chance it would fix the rattle.

I did this job a few months ago and I could maybe see a tensioner being weak, but I don't think there would be any rattle due to one of those 2 being faulty. The tensioners hiding inside the timing cover are more than likely the causes for your rattle due to the originals being somewhat weak.

Mine ended up being the Balance shaft tensioner which I was not prepared for. But this thread helped me a ton:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269442

will towing shorten its life?

I am going to drive this pos work truck until it croaks. Will towing put any additional pressure on the rattling chain?

Tensioner question: If I just replace the two hydraulic tensioners for the timing chain, is there any probability the rattle will diminish on a 2000 4.0 SOHC with 165K miles?

The cost of the full replacement is not worth it.

Depends what rattle you have.

If you have startup rattle that goes away when oil pressure comes up, it might help.

For 2500 rpm "pinging" type rattle, it probably will not help.

If your truck's engine sounds like a diesel at idle, forget about it.

Wondering this same question. Mine rattles at startup for the first minute or so then stops. Was wondering if I replaced one or both of the tensions if it would stop the rattle.
Truck has unknown miles. Odo stopped at 175k before I bought it. Unknown maintace done.
Seems to be a strong running engine and trans sea to shift good just a bunch of little issues I've been fixing.

Don't want to spend the $70ish for the tensioners if If it won't help. Already spent a bit more then I wanted to on it.

Well. Guess ill find out if it helps or fixes it...just ordered both tensioners for $120 from advanced auto.
I might have to buy a deep well 27mm socket and a long 1/2" extension if I can't find one here.

Back