Question for 2013 Explorer Sport Owners | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question for 2013 Explorer Sport Owners

We have two 13' Limiteds. Both have been excellent so far. No leaks, no smells, just an all around great vehicle. I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have two 13' Limiteds. Both have been excellent so far. No leaks, no smells, just an all around great vehicle. I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Thanks TwinExes for the encouraging news. My daughter has a 2011 Limited and loves hers too.

We have a 2013 Sport with close to 2,000 miles and haven't had a problem. We LOVE our Explorer!

I have my blk/blk 2013 and no problems. Love it

3 months, 3,000 miles blk/blk Sport. Hose clamp has came off twice. Rear passenger door is not flesh at the bottom with the rest of the car. Interior plastics are loose. Annoying dash rattle. Leaking sunroof. Very annoying, and seemingly unfixable front window cladder when rolling down. MFT has not functioned properly after the second week of owning the car. Randomly says key is not in vehicle while driving. Car honks twice sometimes after pushing start/stop to turn vehicle off, randomly. Rear hatch now dings when it has opened, not before it's opening like it use to, kind of annoying. I think anything electronic is this vehicle is bass-akwards.

3 months, 3,000 miles blk/blk Sport. Hose clamp has came off twice. Rear passenger door is not flesh at the bottom with the rest of the car. Interior plastics are loose. Annoying dash rattle. Leaking sunroof. Very annoying, and seemingly unfixable front window cladder when rolling down. MFT has not functioned properly after the second week of owning the car. Randomly says key is not in vehicle while driving. Car honks twice sometimes after pushing start/stop to turn vehicle off, randomly. Rear hatch now dings when it has opened, not before it's opening like it use to, kind of annoying. I think anything electronic is this vehicle is bass-akwards.
The only time the liftgate should chime is just before it closes. No chimes should be heard on opening. As per the 2013 Owner's Guide;

"A chime will sound three times as the liftgate begins to power close.
A single chime indicates a problem with the close request,
...."

As for the front side window, many have experienced the same issue and had it successfully addressed, usually by having the window motor and/or regulator replaced.

I think you may have a little electronic gremlin running loose in your vehicle.

Peter

Sorry to hear you are having all these problems. It's hard to believe that one guy can have no problems and you are having so many. I hope that your dealer can address these problems quickly to make your car right..

Hi converted_21.

My name is Ashley, and I'm going to be taking over for Cory and Crystal during the evening hours.

I'd like to look into your concerns and see what can be done. Can you PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info?

Thanks!

Ashley

For the hatch opening, if you "set" the height at the very top, it'll ding when it hits the top because that's also the hard limit. Try setting the height just below the highest you can raise it. (Raise manually to almost the top, then press and hold the lower button until it dings)

For the hatch opening, if you "set" the height at the very top, it'll ding when it hits the top because that's also the hard limit. Try setting the height just below the highest you can raise it. (Raise manually to almost the top, then press and hold the lower button until it dings)
Mine is 'set' to not hit the garage door when opening. Before that when it reached the normal opening height, there was no chime. It operates as the manual says, only chimes 3 times when you begin to power close it.

Peter

Hey there Red14,

I am the proud owner of a 13 SilverSport and couldn't be happier. When I first took delivery, I was worried about "the smell", but when I took it in it was a simple matter of replacing a breather tube on the power transfer unit that somehow was missing and spilled some oil on the exhaust components. The dealer was great, did the repairs and went to bat for me to have all the affected exhaust parts replaced. THEN...the regional service manager called me to see how the repairs went and attached a 3 year comprehensive service plan to my VIN for my trouble.

Since that issue, the SilverSport has been a dream to drive and fun inside!

Todd

Hey there Red14,

I am the proud owner of a 13 SilverSport and couldn't be happier. When I first took delivery, I was worried about "the smell", but when I took it in it was a simple matter of replacing a breather tube on the power transfer unit that somehow was missing and spilled some oil on the exhaust components. The dealer was great, did the repairs and went to bat for me to have all the affected exhaust parts replaced. THEN...the regional service manager called me to see how the repairs went and attached a 3 year comprehensive service plan to my VIN for my trouble.

Since that issue, the SilverSport has been a dream to drive and fun inside!

Todd

Hi Todd,

Glad to hear your dealer took such good care of you and the Regional Service Manager hooked up with a 3 year service plan. Now thats great Ford Customer Service.

I have mine on order and was having 2nd thoughts after hearing all the problems some of the forum members were having, but I spoke to my local Service Manager today and he said they have had very few problems at his dealership with Explorers. That news made me feel a lot better- can't wait for my born date and delivery :).

Only have about 7000 miles on our Sport (bought last Sept), and haven't had any issues thus far. Very happy with our purchase.

I have a '13 Sport that I picked up in November of '12. I have 15,000 miles on it, and besides the CAC tube popping off (quick fix) I have had no issues at all. I love the vehicle, it's perfect size for our family (3 large dogs, my wife and I), and gives enough performance that I don't lose the fun factor when driving.

You're gonna love it!

Picked mine up on March 22 and have 4,500 miles on the clock. No complaints with mine. I'ts smooth, power to spare and looks good inside and out. I have the tow package and tow two Sea Doos on a 2-place trailer totaling 2,600+ lbs and it tows like a dream up and down the western MD mountains! If I wanted to get real picky I would have liked the SONY sound system to sound better at low and high volumes. That's subjective and can be upgraded after market which I probably won't...

Happy SPORTING!

Eddie

I'm a new member of this site and just bought a new 2014 Sport last night. I had a 2009 F150 Lariat 4x4 with 80k miles and really had almost zero problems out of that truck especially with it being the first year of the new model. I've been looking at the Explorers for a year or so and when they announced the Sport I was very intrigued. I didn't have a preference on '13 vs '14 and the incentives were only $1000 less but I found a Tuxedo Black one with the exact options I would have ordered.

I come from a family of Ford owners and while no company is perfect, I've been pleased with Ford's vehicles for many years.

Would it be possible to get a simple list of the known or most frequent issues folks have seen or just dig through the threads? Anything I should just keep an eye out for immediately? I'm hopeful that the 2014 has any known issues addressed but of course time will tell.

Look forward to checking the threads and chiming in when I can.

Thanks,

Chad

I'm a new member of this site and just bought a new 2014 Sport last night. I had a 2009 F150 Lariat 4x4 with 80k miles and really had almost zero problems out of that truck especially with it being the first year of the new model. I've been looking at the Explorers for a year or so and when they announced the Sport I was very intrigued. I didn't have a preference on '13 vs '14 and the incentives were only $1000 less but I found a Tuxedo Black one with the exact options I would have ordered.

I come from a family of Ford owners and while no company is perfect, I've been pleased with Ford's vehicles for many years.

Would it be possible to get a simple list of the known or most frequent issues folks have seen or just dig through the threads? Anything I should just keep an eye out for immediately? I'm hopeful that the 2014 has any known issues addressed but of course time will tell.

Look forward to checking the threads and chiming in when I can.

Thanks,

Chad
Welcome to the Forum chadhump. :wavey:
Great to have you aboard Chad. It almost seems like we have new members joining every day.
The most common issue among all the 2011-2013 models is a water leak.
I'm anxious to see if the 2014 model is subject to the same issue. The water is some cases runs down the 3rd row seat belt. Some have only discovered it after checking the spare tire wheel well. It appears that it may be entering at the spot where the roof rail fastens to the roof. In one post, the water apparently was entering the vehicle from the back of the moonroof. Just something to keep an eye on. Another issue that is common to all models is a sudden loss of steering control. There is a rather long thread on that. In most cases it involves replacing the steering rack. I may have missed a few things but you can scan through the various threads. The most recent ones usually are the threads that identify problems since every time you add a post to an existing thread, it goes back to the 'head of the line'.
You can also use the Forum's 'Search' program to search out certain issues in different threads. I tend to use the 'Advanced Search' program. The 'Search' button is located at the top right of the page close to the Welcome.... msg.
Good luck and don't forget to post a picture of your new ride.

Peter

Sport - it's fine!

I've had mine since October of 2012, so it's one of the earlier ones. It's now got 9000 km/6000 miles. I'd say that for the most part, it's been reliable - more so than my BMW was. The only problems I've had was with a leak from the rear differential, which was part of a recall, as well as a replacement of the APIM module once (this is also covered by an extended warranty offered by Ford who are aware of the problem). In the past 6 months, it's been working fine with no problems and I'd say that Ford did a good job with ensuring that they took care of any problems. The only issue I've yet to contend with is the latest recall over the fuel line, but there's been no problem with that thus far.

My sole issue: they didn't include HID headlights. I'm still waiting to see if there's a good enough kit to fix this. Stupid that they include it on the Limited but not the more expensive Sport.

I'd say it's a good vehicle. Just make sure it's exactly what you need/want. See if you can take an extended trip in it first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks guys for the info. Here is the only pic I've taken so far and it was the day after I drove it home in the rain. I had just washed it. I'm sure this black is going to keep me busy on the detailing end of things but I was due for a change since I typically buy white cars and my wife also liked this one a lot.

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh529/chadhump/2014 Ford Explorer Sport/2014Sport.jpg
Nice looking Sport Chad. I agree that you will be busy keeping it clean. That is why I got the white one.;)
I would like to suggest that you enter the model and year in your profile so that it will show in the left hand margin. This would be helpful for members in answering any future concerns you may have. BTW, I removed your 'redundant' post.
Happy motoring Chad.

Peter

Back