Another fuel tank area recall ... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another fuel tank area recall ...

grrtrainman

Reaction score
City, State
Western Mass, (summer), & SW Florida, (winter).
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Limited 4WD 302A Tow
:( :( :(

August 2013 issue of Consumer Reports - pg 14 :

Oooooookaaaay, it looks like there’s another recall involving the fuel tank area of our Explorers, (465,000 Ford vehicles - not just Explorers) - manufactured from July 19th, 2011 to March 15th, 2012). Those fuel tanks have a marginally sealed tank seam. Tank could leak and / or might not be strong enough to withstand an impact. This recall is in addition to the recall involving the fuel delivery module. We’re supposed to bring our Ex to the dealer immediately if we smell gas or see fuel on the floor. ‘Ever wonder if some supplier’s butt gets kicked when these defects come to light???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they sure do get their butts kicked, to the tune of millions of dollars sometimes, especially in a case like this one. One toyota recall cost Denso Manufacturing of Michigan nearly $10m while i was working there.

One toyota recall cost Denso Manufacturing of Michigan nearly $10m while i was working there.

So you're the one to blame :eek:

Explains why he no longer works there. :D

Nice, cnsheets...lol

Ahh, that explains why I notice a little fuel smell on start up in my Explorer lately, or is that normal?

it looks like there’s another recall involving the fuel tank area of our Explorers, (465,000 Ford vehicles - not just Explorers) - manufactured from July 19th, 2011 to March 15th, 2012).

Actually, this one was from back in March....

FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY
Recall number: 13V109000
Recall date: 03/27/2013

Problem Summary:
FORD IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012 TAURUS, LINCOLN MKS, AND MODEL YEAR 2013 EXPLORER VEHICLES MANUFACTURED JULY 19, 2011, THROUGH MARCH 15, 2012. IN THE AFFECTED VEHICLES, THE FUEL TANKS MAY HAVE A MARGINALLY SEALED SEAM IN THE SIDE OF THE TANK. AS A RESULT, THE FUEL TANKS MAY NOT PROVIDE THE EXPECTED STRENGTH IN THE EVENT OF AN IMPACT. THE TANKS MAY ALSO LEAK.

Consequence:
A FUEL LEAK IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE MAY RESULT IN A FIRE.

Corrective Action:
FORD WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE FUEL TANKS AND REPLACE THEM AS NECESSARY, FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN APRIL 22, 2013. FORD'S RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER IS 13S03. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FORD MOTOR COMPANY CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP CENTER AT 1-866-436-7332.

This recall affects vehicles manufactured between 07/19/2011 and 03/15/2012.

Ahh, that explains why I notice a little fuel smell on start up in my Explorer lately, or is that normal?

..er ahhh ... no...

Back