Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

As some of you know, I am working on building a parts list for a shortened Dana 44, long radius arm with coil overs SAS. 5:13 gears to match my rear axle and an ARB, maybe an electric locker. I have a pretty good list so far. At the same time, I am going to swap out the rear drum brakes for discs off of a 99 Explorer.

Please note: The plan is to keep this project as simple as possible with mostly off the shelf parts. I am not a fabricator, just a decent welder with a what I would consider the minimum required tools (chop saw, cut off wheels, air tools, welder, etc.), who likes doing his own work. Your opinions are welcome, but what I really need is technical advice. I have been thinking about this for several years and now have the time and cash to make it happen. Please keep on topic with your advice and don't go off on a side track about how you would do it as a four-link, or caged arms, or leave the axle full-width because that is not what I want. I want a simple-ish set up that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same here, no experience with e-locker but my ARB was bullet proof, never failed.......when I remembered to switch it on. :D

Doesn't your Rubicon have elockers front and rear??

I don't really like the cable idea because I have read about the cable getting kinked and not being able to switch it in/out of lock.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

But with an air leak your compressor just runs more often.. Unless it blows apart and the compressor can't keep up.

I'm not sure what happens when a cable gets kinked. If you can just pull the cable by hand and throw a pair of vice grips on it to hold it then thats ok..

With the e-locker you'd have to run new wires depending on where the short/open happened..

~Mark

I remember jefe having problems with his e-locker

Randall ran an Ox-Locker. I remember he initially had some problems with it. I'm not sure how it's worked out in the long run. I don't recall if he was running it in the front or rear:dunno:

I initially had an Ox-Locker when I did my first SAS with the front Dana 44. I had difficulty getting the shift lever to engage the front end. Even broke down and had it adjusted by two different professionals, and was never satisfied with the results. I took it out and bought a Detroit SofLocker. No more problems there.

I don't see the downside of having a full locker in the front, especially if you are running it in the front and have a true transfer case and manual hub locks (i.e., you can fully disengage the front manually) . The Detroit always works.

Though to be fair, I've heard that Ox Locker has significantly upgraded their shift mechanism since the model I bought, in '01 or so.

I have been rolling with a selectable front locker for so long, I gotta have one. I like all the options, even with the 2wd low range conversion transfer case.
Don't like the cable idea, so its down to the ARB again, or the E Locker. I will post what I decided, but I read some long term reviews of the Elocker and am moving in that direction. Cost is much less than ARB.

Doesn't your Rubicon have elockers front and rear?

Haha, damn senior moment.......yes, the Rubicon has elockers and I had problems with the front locker on one of the TDS runs. The solenoid didn't want to unlock and I had to be transported to a dealer on a flat bed tow truck. ARB, other than leaky lines 0 problems. So......

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Haha, damn senior moment.......yes, the Rubicon has elockers and I had problems with the front locker on one of the TDS runs. The solenoid didn't want to unlock and I had to be transported to a dealer on a flat bed tow truck. ARB, other than leaky lines 0 problems. So......

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

That's right, I was there. Do you know if they are the Eaton E Locker or a Jeep e locker?
First hand failure. Great information.

Brian, Jeep elocker. I have a video on how they work internally. If your interested let me know and I'll send you the link.

Just took a short-term job in San Francisco for the next six weeks so this will take longer than I thought. I am now officially a "Safety Manager" for the America's Cup (whatever that is).

Just took a short-term job in San Francisco for the next six weeks so this will take longer than I thought. I am now officially a "Safety Manager" for the America's Cup (whatever that is).

Boat race thingy.. One of the guys who runs the defensive pistol matches I go to sails in that race.

BTW.. your a bad influence.. I have more parts to install before truckhaven now..

~Mark

Captain, My Captain:salute:

I will say.....this does disturb me a little..:(

You get to run around the Bay in a speed boat, yelling "STOP THAT!", then realizing that's a sea lion not a guy in a wet suit..

Drop a line when you around, we can give you some interesting places to visit or take you to.

Boat race thingy.. One of the guys who runs the defensive pistol matches I go to sails in that race.

BTW.. your a bad influence.. I have more parts to install before truckhaven now..

~Mark

Sorry, I know what the America's Cup is, just not what a "Safety Manager" is...and your welcome about being a bad influence:salute:

Drop a line when you around, we can give you some interesting places to visit or take you to.

I might have to take you up on that. I have a long stretch in September where I have two days off they don't want to fly me back for. Your number still end in 3510?

I might have to take you up on that. I have a long stretch in September where I have two days off they don't want to fly me back for. Your number still end in 3510?

Yes.

So, why is it so frigin cold in San Francisco in August?
"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco" - Mark Twain

So, why is it so frigin cold in San Francisco in August?
"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco" - Mark Twain

It's got to do with the fact that SoCal hogs the heat. :)

September/October is the best time of year to visit SF Bay area - it's the warmest and clearest time of year.

So, today, I actually did some work towards the SAS. I cut out the original battery tray. It's too bad it had to go, because it was in there very solid. Took me about two hours to get it out. I was left with this space to fit my 1999 Explorer intake and air box.

Then I drilled two holes in the inner fender for the new air box mounts and fit the grommets.
IMG_20130810_162620_927_Medium_.jpg

The grommets fit onto these posts on the new air box.
IMG_20130810_162635_866_Medium_.jpg

Mounted the air temp. sensor on the side of the air box.
IMG_20130810_165705_086_Medium_.jpg

Mounted the slightly modified air box bracket with screws (will go back and weld it later).

It seems to fit fairly well and the hood closes. Best of all it looks like it is a stock unit and the engine started right up. It also left a lot of room for the coil over shock and mount.

Back