• Register Today It's free!

B-pillar issue

clayjo

Reaction score
City, State
Norwalk, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Is it easy to replace the b-pillar black plastic covers?

Long story, but can someone please confirm how they are attached. Need to replace mine. both the driver's side door and its' rear doro counterpart.

Thanks!

Believe it's part numbers:

255A34

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it easy to replace the b-pillar black plastic covers?

Long story, but can someone please confirm how they are attached. Need to replace mine. both the driver's side door and its' rear doro counterpart.

Thanks!

Believe it's part numbers:

255A34
Those appear to be the correct part numbers. I don't recall any posts by a member that has replaced them. If you don't get an answer to the question, I would suggest calling the dealer parts department and ask them. You will likely have to contact them anyway to order the parts.
I assume this isn't a warranty issue.
Good luck.

Peter

Pull off the inner door edge mouldings and they just snap on/off. Just be careful of the airbags!

Pull off the inner door edge mouldings and they just snap on/off. Just be careful of the airbags!

I need this as well... Slammed the door on my finger when the ex was BRAND NEW! Needless to say it broke the driver's side b-pillar moulding and took a big chunk out of my finger!

I found out that the numbers for entry code keypad are built into the trim--bummer and expensive!

But what do you mean by "inner door edge moulding"? Could you please clarify?

Also I assume that some wiring harness will have to be un-clipped and re-clipped? Does the inner door panel need to be removed?

Thanks!

I apologize I mistakenly thought you wanted to remove the interior mouldings.

I apologize I mistakenly thought you wanted to remove the interior mouldings.
Well I must admit after a trip to the garage this morning to check out your initial response I too was left scratching my head. :scratch:
Most of us all make mistakes now and then so no big deal. I believe we are allowed one a month so be careful. :D:thumbsup:

Peter

I need this as well... Slammed the door on my finger when the ex was BRAND NEW! Needless to say it broke the driver's side b-pillar moulding and took a big chunk out of my finger!

I found out that the numbers for entry code keypad are built into the trim--bummer and expensive!

But what do you mean by "inner door edge moulding"? Could you please clarify?

Also I assume that some wiring harness will have to be un-clipped and re-clipped? Does the inner door panel need to be removed?

Thanks!
Have you checked with your dealer to see what they would charge to order and replace the parts? The thing I might be concerned about is the keypad. If you do the work and the keypad malfunctions down the road they may try to deny any warranty coverage. Just something to keep in mind.

Peter

Any luck?

Did you ever attempt to do this? I am considering replacing my pillar with the keypad as it no longer works.

Not yet. I have the pillar. Just need the time!

The keypad is part of the pillar--so not a big deal. It looks fairly easy to remove, just the adhesive looks a little "stricky".

Thanks. If I get around to it first I'll reply how it went.

Thanks. If I get around to it first I'll reply how it went.

Please do. My door keypad no longer consistently functions properly, and I'm out of warranty. So I'm considering replacing it myself, but unsure of whether or not this is a DIY job, or if it needs to be done by the dealership techs.

My link may be broke. My phone is dying will fix link shortly.

OK, so I replaced the keypad B-pillar...and it still doesn't work right. Any ideas on that? It still only works intermittently, but appears to very consistently light up and work from the standpoint now.

I basically just started to peel off the pillar from the top down and then attempted to slide fishing line behind it to release the adhesive, but didn't work too well. So I just continued to peel, and then it started cracking into pieces. I just worked my way down cracking it apart basically since I was throwing it away. I had to take the inner door panel off to get to the wiring, see link (http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Ford-Explorer-Interior-Door-Panel-Removal-Guide/). Easiest way to get to the plug was through the door lock hole on the metal frame. Frustrating.

OK, so I replaced the keypad B-pillar...and it still doesn't work right. Any ideas on that? It still only works intermittently, but appears to very consistently light up and work from the standpoint now.

I basically just started to peel off the pillar from the top down and then attempted to slide fishing line behind it to release the adhesive, but didn't work too well. So I just continued to peel, and then it started cracking into pieces. I just worked my way down cracking it apart basically since I was throwing it away. I had to take the inner door panel off to get to the wiring, see link (http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Ford-Explorer-Interior-Door-Panel-Removal-Guide/). Easiest way to get to the plug was through the door lock hole on the metal frame. Frustrating.

So if i was going to replace the passenger side, I wouldnt need to take the inner door panel off?

So if i was going to replace the passenger side, I wouldnt need to take the inner door panel off?
No, I wouldn't see a need to take inner door panel off as that was only to get to wiring.

Hello, First time on here.

My 2014 Explorer Sport has the outer door panel on the passenger side door starting to come off....not the front A-frame(?), but the one on the side of the door. There is one just like it on the front of the back doors. It's like the glue is giving out. I was just going to buy some automotive adhesive, but surely this is a common thing. I'm way out of warranty, but does anyone know of a recall on this?

If I drive much more, it will end up on the side of the road, then I'm sunk.

Hello, First time on here.

My 2014 Explorer Sport has the outer door panel on the passenger side door starting to come off....not the front A-frame(?), but the one on the side of the door. There is one just like it on the front of the back doors. It's like the glue is giving out. I was just going to buy some automotive adhesive, but surely this is a common thing. I'm way out of warranty, but does anyone know of a recall on this?

If I drive much more, it will end up on the side of the road, then I'm sunk.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The issue of the inner door panel has a Customer Satisfaction Program for it and discussed on page 6. Is your issue with the sheet metal? If it is different than the pictures shown in the thread, a photo would be helpful to show exactly what the problem is.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The issue of the inner door panel has a Customer Satisfaction Program for it and discussed on page 6. Is your issue with the sheet metal? If it is different than the pictures shown in the thread, a photo would be helpful to show exactly what the problem is.

Peter

Thanks for the response! It's not the inner panel, but the outer trim that's giving me problems. Photos attached.

2014Explorer_1.jpg

2014Explorer_2.jpg

Back