'01 EB Ex V8 bogging at full throttle | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'01 EB Ex V8 bogging at full throttle

You don't have to look at one. I've got one in my hand right now with no such ring. I'd estimate that that ring got put in there before as an attempt to repair the fuel line after the retainer was destroyed when the fuel filter was changed before. It was probably a spring from some other similar type of line. You were therefore leaking fuel because it wouldn't sit in place while you tried to push the new fuel filter past it, since it lacked the pegs that the correct clip would have to hold it away from where the filter should seat.

Here's what probably happened. Mechanic A replaces fuel filter. Mechanic A can't get old fuel filter out, and struggles quite a while because he couldn't get his tool inserted all the way. Mechanic A finally manages to wrench fuel filter free, but not without pulling out pieces from the old clip, or a mangled clip. Mechanic A needs to solve this problem. Mechanic A gets a spring clip for another line with a similar, but different type of fitting, like an AC line. Mechanic A puts spring around fuel filter neck, then forces fuel filter and spring in to seated position using fuel filter tool or the screwdriver he probably tried using to get the old one out. Mechanic A congratulates self on ingenuity. Joe Dirt gets under explorer and removes fuel filter, irritating scratched and scraped arm with fuel from explorer, but does manage to get tool in to expand the spring. Joe Dirt, careful not to irritate his booboo any further installs new puralator fuel filter as far as he can, not suspecting that the fitting could be faulty. Joe Dirt washes the oil, and fuel from his arm before asking someone to kiss his booboo and make it all better. Explorer leaves, but returns and Joe Dirt notices a fuel leak. Joe Dirt again removes the fuel filter, but this time, the spring clip comes with. Joe Dirt makes a sad and confused face, but is happy to discover that rickybobby has quoted him yet again in his signature.

Question, it will go up to the redline while under 75% throttle, but starts bogging at or above 75% throttle, correct? Also, PCV is good?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Close... :)

That was the old Purolator filter that was already on the truck. Joe Dirt will only use a Motorcraft filter, right or wrong... :)

So, since the filter apparently will no longer seat, I'm assuming that I need a replacement clip. Are there supposed to be any o-rings or spacers in the line connector?

Truck will accelerate smoothly and seemingly normally up to about 3k. At 3-ishk it will lose the ability to accelerate, like it's got a fuel starvation or plugged cat issue. The PCV is brand new, just installed the other day. It does the same thing if you floor it- goes to 3k and sits there. engine at 3k, not accelerating. Let off the throttle even 10-ish% and it will start accelerating after it shifts back down.

It just seems like a sensor to me. If it would be fuel or something, it would vary a little- it is 3,000 every time. Up to 3,000, then stops and bogs. Punch it, it only goes to 3,000 and sits there and will sit there, until you let off the accelerator, when it will shift and keep accelerating.

It's loosing fuel pressure. I'm sure this time!:scratch: I think...

Run an open flame along the length of the fuel line, when the truck ignites, you've found the problem....and the solution.

BlowingUpCars.jpg

It's about that time anyway.

:chug:

OK.
I agree.
Possible cat damage from the lean condition induced from the hose in the gasket trick. Next step--exhaust shop to check for clogged cat. They can install a fitting to the pipe to check them.

I agree with Jon, but if you have a welder then an exhaust shop isnt needed. I cut a slit half way through the pipe just before the cat. if that fixes the problem then cut the cat out and replace. if it doesnt then just weld the hole shut and move on with the diag.

I agree with Jon, but if you have a welder then an exhaust shop isnt needed. I cut a slit half way through the pipe just before the cat. if that fixes the problem then cut the cat out and replace. if it doesnt then just weld the hole shut and move on with the diag.

Um, this "might" make it run worse, as the primary 02 sensor needs full flow of exhuast gasses to perform fuel trims.
This "slit" must be cut downstream of the primary sensor or another symptom may develop. ( might still not run right even though the problem was found)

Hopefully the rear cats are clogged up. That would be an easy fix eh?

It is about there. I am going to put it back together, put on a set of new sensors from the j/y and see if anything changes. If not, out it goes.

It's just odd how it is exactly 3,000 rpm that this happens. It's like it's reading that RPM or an electronic value and fouling something. I just can't wrap my mind around the idea that if it is anything fuel or cat related that something, anything- wouldn't show up before that. Or at 3,200 or 2,800 sometimes. It's just weird how it always happens at exactly the same rpm, or if you floor it, that's where it goes.

Still my opinion

I suspect a clogged fuel filter or a weak fuel pump. My fuel pressure did not drop from 62 psi at idle to 3,000 rpm. The engine doesn't require a lot of fuel at 4,300 rpm in Park compared to WOT in drive at the same RPM. I bet if you check the long term fuel trims, the PCM will have compensated both banks for lean conditions. However, there may be two problems: weak fuel pump and leaking/unconnected vacuum line. Recheck all of the vacuum connections/hoses on the driver side.

Is there any way to monitor your fuel pressure while driving?

Is the park/neutral switch good? Try starting the truck in drive.

I agree with 2000streetrod, it would be nice to watch your fuel trim or fuel pressure while you are driving.

Neutral safety switch is good. I also put a replacement MAF on from the junkyard, same issue. Pulling the crank sensor off now, will try that next...

My scanner doesn't pull fuel pressure... drats!

no sensor for fuel pressure

. . . My scanner doesn't pull fuel pressure... drats!

There is no sensor on the 2nd generation that reads fuel pressure so the PCM can't determine it. I think the 3rd generation Explorers have a fuel pressure module (PWM) that controls the fuel pump and pressure.

Did you ever resolve the low/erratic TPS voltage at idle? The voltage should be about 1.0 at closed throttle. Can you watch the "Throttle Position Absolute" pid with your scanner? The engine doesn't even have to be running. Just turn on the ignition and watch the pid as the throttle is depressed and released. Mine is about 195 at closed throttle and 950 at WOT.

Dale- I sort of did. I took it off and plan to grab a new one tomorrow along with a new CPS. The one I had I tried to clean and such, but will have a spare to try.

Of the boxes of crap I have here, I had no CPS and the wrong TPS. Go figure.

Neighbors probably want to know why I'm doing hot laps up and down the street... lol

Really need to see what fuel pressure is while driving, or just go ahead and replace the pump and re-re-re-hope for the best.

You've done replaced and checked everything else!

Any new codes?

pcPlug4.jpg

Well, guess we can put this in the solved pile.

All this for crap plugs? Joe, you must be soooo pissed.

I was getting tired just reading the thread.

Its so much easier to diagnose your own vehicle that you know, and have maintained yourself. I'm certain no one here would ever install those.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back