2007 ford explorer sport trac bed cover? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 ford explorer sport trac bed cover?

naminad

Reaction score
City, State
Guam
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
Hello,

I was wondering and i need help on choosing a bed cover for my Sport trac. I dont know which one to get and my options are the OEM tonneau cover or the undercover bed cover for the Sport trac.

Can someone help me and pics are welcome so i can see please.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bed Cover Decision

Hello,

I was wondering and i need help on choosing a bed cover for my Sport trac. I dont know which one to get and my options are the OEM tonneau cover or the undercover bed cover for the Sport trac.

Can someone help me and pics are welcome so i can see please.

I still need advice on a bed cover for my 2007 ford sport trac.
the undercover bed cover or the oem bed cover please?
pictures are wanted

Hello,

I just got the OEM hard tonneau cover in May. So far I like it. I matches the black rubberized stuff on the bed tops very well. Also gives me a lot more covered storage area.
Ford says the cover isn't waterproof, but I think it would hold up pretty well in the rain. However, it doesn't hold up well against sand/dust. I've been in dusty environments most of the summer and fine dust definitely gets into the bed area even with the cover securely closed. At the end of one dusty road, after which my truck in general was very dusty, I opened the bed and found that the bed area had become I small sand box (exaggeration, but there was definitely a serious layer of fine sand).

Anyway, here's some terrible photos from my phone just now.
0719131638_zps340a7604.jpg

(Don't mind that white-ish stuff, it's excess wax, my fault).
0719131639_zps5f66d3ec.jpg

0719131639b_zps47f8a64f.jpg

There are 2 locks - one front driver side, the other center rear of the bed.
0719131639a_zps88b47681.jpg

This mechanism is mostly how the tonneau cover is attached.
0719131640a_zps8bc7908b.jpg

Note the bungee on the left. I think they're for a cargo net or something, which I don't have. Nonetheless, the bungee on the right side won't stay attached. It's not the bungee's fault, the plastic anchor keeps popping off. I tried to use some spray adhesive, but it failed. I'm going to try some permanent Loctite later.
0719131641_zpsf2dfe1e4.jpg

Here's where the right-side bungee anchor should be.
0719131642a_zps6e3f39e2.jpg

0719131643_zps301807ef.jpg

0719131643a_zps894edc4f.jpg

0719131643b_zpsbeac1948.jpg

Hopefully that helps. I went for OEM over aftermarket because aftermarket was going to be about the same cost and I didn't trust my local installers the way I trust my dealer's installers.

If you do get OEM, make sure you test the locks before you leave. You unlock the accesses by using the provided key, removing the key, then pushing down on the lock. However, right after they installed mine, but parts guy was explaining it to me, but I was able to just push on the lock tumbler and it would pop open (i.e. no key needed, I could pop the access open with the lock in the locked or unlocked position). They took it back in, messed about for 20min more, and the locks have worked fine ever since.

The bungees are to secure the lid to the hooks on the side of the box when driving with one half open.

I also run the factory lid with a bed extender folded underneath. I have a mobicool full of Pilsner that rides around plugged into the 12v source in the box most of the summer. Its a great system.

the OEM bed cover is really attractive, but i have read forums and watch some videos on youtube and they have said it leaks and is a hassle to come off if you want to take it off.

i was wondering if the undercover bed cover is also attractive and any pictures?

Hello,

I just got the OEM hard tonneau cover in May. So far I like it. I matches the black rubberized stuff on the bed tops very well. Also gives me a lot more covered storage area.
Ford says the cover isn't waterproof, but I think it would hold up pretty well in the rain. However, it doesn't hold up well against sand/dust. I've been in dusty environments most of the summer and fine dust definitely gets into the bed area even with the cover securely closed. At the end of one dusty road, after which my truck in general was very dusty, I opened the bed and found that the bed area had become I small sand box (exaggeration, but there was definitely a serious layer of fine sand).

Anyway, here's some terrible photos from my phone just now.
0719131638_zps340a7604.jpg

(Don't mind that white-ish stuff, it's excess wax, my fault).
0719131639_zps5f66d3ec.jpg

0719131639b_zps47f8a64f.jpg

There are 2 locks - one front driver side, the other center rear of the bed.
0719131639a_zps88b47681.jpg

This mechanism is mostly how the tonneau cover is attached.
0719131640a_zps8bc7908b.jpg

Note the bungee on the left. I think they're for a cargo net or something, which I don't have. Nonetheless, the bungee on the right side won't stay attached. It's not the bungee's fault, the plastic anchor keeps popping off. I tried to use some spray adhesive, but it failed. I'm going to try some permanent Loctite later.
0719131641_zpsf2dfe1e4.jpg

Here's where the right-side bungee anchor should be.
0719131642a_zps6e3f39e2.jpg

0719131643_zps301807ef.jpg

0719131643a_zps894edc4f.jpg

0719131643b_zpsbeac1948.jpg

Hopefully that helps. I went for OEM over aftermarket because aftermarket was going to be about the same cost and I didn't trust my local installers the way I trust my dealer's installers.

If you do get OEM, make sure you test the locks before you leave. You unlock the accesses by using the provided key, removing the key, then pushing down on the lock. However, right after they installed mine, but parts guy was explaining it to me, but I was able to just push on the lock tumbler and it would pop open (i.e. no key needed, I could pop the access open with the lock in the locked or unlocked position). They took it back in, messed about for 20min more, and the locks have worked fine ever since.

the OEM bed cover is really attractive, but i have read forums and watch some videos on youtube and they have said it leaks and is a hassle to come off if you want to take it off.

i was wondering if the undercover bed cover is also attractive and any pictures?

Did you order this through Ford.com or a Ford dealer? There are 3 different covers on Ford.com/accessories. one is a roll up($298) another is a "Soft" folding tonneou($500) and a "Hard" folding tonneou($1200). I've tried to get info on the $500 Soft cover. I'd like to find some website that deals in parting out ford parts or some place that sells used Bed covers for Sport Tracs.

It mostly depends on what you need. In my case I often need the whole bed open because I use it like a truck, so on both Tracs I've had (I owned an '05 previously) I installed an aftermarket vinyl tonneau. If opening the whole bed up is not important then I would go with the hard OE tonneau or a Leer. Leer's can come painted in body color but they don't hinge in the middle.

I got mine from SGI Salvage here and then took off the locks and had them keyed to my door keys. Works like a charm. It isn't too bad for wear, no more then the rest of my truck.

I removed mine once a week by myself. I sold mine after a few years and put a Leer shell on with Thule tracks.
The OEM tonneau never leaked on me once.

Found an '03 bed cover online . Will it fit an '08 sport trac?

The early models are different

A few of the OEM butterfly style bed covers on Kijiji Alberta right now. At least one is for an '07+

Cover

I have the same OEM Cover as FLOffroad. I strongly advise against this product for several reasons.

1) The rubber footings will become unglued. You will need to re-glue after a year.
2) The rubber o-ring covering the main hinge in the middle will degrade due to continuous opening and closing. THis is difficult to replace, I ended up spraying the famous "Flex Seal"with some success.
3) At first the cover is somewhat water tight, although it is not advertised as such. Eventually, you will have significant leaks.
4)While taking the cover on and off, the lock pins located in the middle will scratch the truck, especially if putting cover on yourself. They also will damage themselves when placing the cover on the ground.
5) THE NUMBER one reason why this cover sucks is the weight. It is 80#'s+ and difficult to put on and off alone. There are much better products for less with lighter weight.

I have had mine for 7 years now. It has done its job, it is secure and the lock and key still work. I use wd 40 every summer. I am currently looking for a light weight cover as i often use the back to transport yard debris and such. My girlfriend hates when i ask her to assist in moving the cover, its akward and heavy. I usually do it myself, with reservation!

I ended up buying an Access literider rollup cover. I saw it in the local want ads for $200 and I jumped on it. I really wanted one of the "Ford" hard tonneau covers but just couldn't see paying $1200 through Ford.com. I found one online for about $900 but just couldn't pull the trigger. I am satisfied with the lighter weight cover(I've heard that the Hard-folding OEM ford covers are heavy??? idk) I also found some OEM step rails on craigslist for $150 so my Sport Trac is complete. Wait, I do need to get some seat covers. Does anyone have any suggestions ? Inexpensive $30-$40 covers or $200 + Coverkings

Back