2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MTN -

I just had the exact same issue occur in my new 2011 Ford Explorer Limited. While I was driving the vehicle, the power steering immediately shut off and displayed the 'Power Steering Assist Fault' followed by a 'Service AdvanceTrac' warning.

Luckily I was pulling into my neighborhood and going less than 10 MPH so I wasn't in any immediate danger. I was able to pull off to the side and reset the vehicle. The error messages I stated above were alternating. After turning off the vehicle, I immediately restarted it then received the Terrain Management issue and warning. The 4WD knob was no longer functioning. I was able to drive it to my driveway with the power steering restored. I then turned it off yet again, waited a couple minutes and restarted it. This time the messages and issues were gone.

I took it into the dealership the following morning without issue. They kept it overnight but like others on this thread, were unable to find anything wrong with it. They didn't even have a record of an error message showing up in the computer. I was instructed to take it home and let them know if it occurred again. Not the kind of assurance I was hoping for given that I have 4 small children. No attempt to replace the power steering rack.

I was able to take a picture of the error messages. See attached images.

image1kbi.jpg

image2wp.jpg

vulnox - One quick comment, I wouldn't underestimate the potential impact of the issue. I've had vehicles without power steering and this wasn't the same. I had to really work the steering wheel to get it pulled off to the side of the road. While making the turn, the steering immediately kicked off forcing the vehicle to go straight veering me off my turn path. If I was going 40-50 MPH I would have been in a ditch.

Didn't know this issues dated back this far

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Didn't know this issues dated back this far
It began with the new generation Explorer and continues to this day although it seems the incidents are becoming fewer as the model years progress. Just waiting for the first 2014 to report this issue.

Peter

It began with the new generation Explorer and continues to this day although it seems the incidents are becoming fewer as the model years progress. Just waiting for the first 2014 to report this issue.

Peter

I see. My 2011 Explorer just went back to the dealer for the 5th time today. And they still claim that they don't know what it is. I'll be dropping a few of these post off at the dealership tomorrow.

I see. My 2011 Explorer just went back to the dealer for the 5th time today. And they still claim that they don't know what it is. I'll be dropping a few of these post off at the dealership tomorrow.

I was told it was a power steering gear Part number is bb5z3504he. $1916.00 cost to repair plus tax.....:mad:

I was told it was a power steering gear Part number is bb5z3504he. $1916.00 cost to repair plus tax.....:mad:
Bill, if you only bought it a month ago, didn't the dealer have some kind of warranty/guarantee on the vehicle? I assume it is likely beyond the factory warranty of 36k miles.

Peter

When the issue occurs do a vehicle health report before restarting. Hopefully that will record the problem.

Bill, if you only bought it a month ago, didn't the dealer have some kind of warranty/guarantee on the vehicle? I assume it is likely beyond the factory warranty of 36k miles.

Peter

It just came with the factory warranty and a 30 day bumper to bumper however i got it June 6th :splat:

Well with this many posts and threads about it, maybe the power steering is a big issue. I mean I know some other automakers had problems with power steering with the EPAS, but still, Ford needs to take responsibility. Power steering should not go out that early. Not at all.

It just came with the factory warranty and a 30 day bumper to bumper however i got it June 6th :splat:

I would go to the NHTSA's website and download the response from Ford to the NHTSA's investigation. In that document Ford ADMITS that there are known defects in their parts.

Show the dealer and see if the dealer will work with you or get Ford to work with you. Also contact FordCustSrvc on this forum and they will get you in touch with a regional customer service manager.

Hi everyone.

If you are experiencing a power steering concern, I recommend taking your vehicle to a Ford dealer for a diagnosis. If you still need assistance after that, please send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

I would go to the NHTSA's website and download the response from Ford to the NHTSA's investigation. In that document Ford ADMITS that there are known defects in their parts.

Show the dealer and see if the dealer will work with you or get Ford to work with you. Also contact FordCustSrvc on this forum and they will get you in touch with a regional customer service manager.

I would also report the incident to the NHTSA - the more reported, the more likely they would issue a recall. If they recall the part, and you've paid for the repair, traditionally Ford would reimburse you for the fix.

I have done all of the above and they admit there is an issue but they say since a recall hasnt been issued then im out of luck. They said i could pay for the repairs and then when the recall comes out they could POSSIBLY reimburse me, however, if the recall doesnt state that restitution does not have to be made for vehicles already fixed then im out of luck. :/. Im either going to sell it and get a Tahoe or wait it out till the recall and not let my fiancé drive it....

add my 2011 XLT 4wd to the list. l was going about 20mph into a turn, my power steering completely went out in an intersection. Luckily, there wasn't heavy traffic, I was able to muscle the car over to the right and turn on a side street. I took pictures of the service advance trac warning, and the power steering assist fault. I went straight to my dealer and the Service Advisor was very nice, It was 5pm yestersay. They took my car in and I started googling the issue.

Sure enough they called this morning at 10am said the issue was they needed to replace the EPAS rack and pinion. I received my car back today at 5pm today. (I was lucky they had the part in stock)

The notes say Performed EPAS diagnosis, received code c200d:49 performed interactive diagnosis pinpoint test, internal electrical failure, replaced EPAS Rack and Pinion, Transferred outer Tie Rod Ends. Alligned Front end, Reset Toe, Road Test.... They also hand washed it, looks like they vacumed the interior and might have treated the leather :)

Sorry to hear how many people are having this issue and worse yet have dealerships that aren't assisting them as quickly as they should. I recommend North County Ford in Vista CA. They seemed to be on the ball and were very professional.

Ford willing to let drivers die over power steering issues

This happened to me as well the other day. Driving down the highway at 65mph this warning came on and I had about 3 seconds to force myself off the highway. Fortunately, it was during an "off" hour and no other cars were around or I'd have been in an accident/killed. Ford has been well aware of this problem since the release of this model as they were investigated in 2011 by the National Highway Safety Authority about this. Ford recalled this model for a freaking 50 cent thermostat, but not when lives are endangered?
My car has 40,000 miles on it so past 36000 mile bumper to bumpber coverage. They want $2000 to fix this. It's a problem they knew about upon releasing to it to the public and decided to risk lives instead of fixing. The dealership is in Lawrence, NJ. Larry the service manager there refuses to assist and Ford is doing nothing about it either. They are losing a customer for life. This is filthy business practices by the dealership and Ford themselves. They should be ashamed of themselves. I guess it will take a lawsuit due to death for them to do the right thing here.

This happened to me as well the other day. Driving down the highway at 65mph this warning came on and I had about 3 seconds to force myself off the highway. Fortunately, it was during an "off" hour and no other cars were around or I'd have been in an accident/killed. Ford has been well aware of this problem since the release of this model as they were investigated in 2011 by the National Highway Safety Authority about this. Ford recalled this model for a freaking 50 cent thermostat, but not when lives are endangered?
My car has 40,000 miles on it so past 36000 mile bumper to bumpber coverage. They want $2000 to fix this. It's a problem they knew about upon releasing to it to the public and decided to risk lives instead of fixing. The dealership is in Lawrence, NJ. Larry the service manager there refuses to assist and Ford is doing nothing about it either. They are losing a customer for life. This is filthy business practices by the dealership and Ford themselves. They should be ashamed of themselves. I guess it will take a lawsuit due to death for them to do the right thing here.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, ALL OF YOU WITH THIS PROBLEM: If you haven't already, please go to the NHTSA's website and file a complaint. It will only take a few moments of your time and the more complaints are on file, the more pressure the federal government will put on Ford to recall this part. Also, if you had this problem out of warranty and Ford recalls it, in some cases they may refund your money.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, ALL OF YOU WITH THIS PROBLEM: If you haven't already, please go to the NHTSA's website and file a complaint. It will only take a few moments of your time and the more complaints are on file, the more pressure the federal government will put on Ford to recall this part. Also, if you had this problem out of warranty and Ford recalls it, in some cases they may refund your money.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

In fact, I'm a bit shocked they haven't recalled it, I just went to the NHTSA's website and there are 169 steering related complaints on the 2011 model alone!

I think Ford's tempting fate here. If someone were to be seriously injured or killed due to a common and well known defect on their new flagship SUV, it's gonna be the Firestone tire debacle all over again. Lawsuits, Lawyers, and Bad press are going to replace sales.

Ford recently sent a letter responding to the NHTSA stating again that they don't feel they need to recall the part as it's not a safety risk and because of the low rate of failure. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM440364/INRL-PE12017-57026P.pdf

Please prove them wrong and report your issue.

Hi everyone.

If you are experiencing a power steering concern, I recommend taking your vehicle to a Ford dealer for a diagnosis. If you still need assistance after that, please send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

UUUUMMMM, really, is that what you suggest??? What are you going to do for ME to get this fixed. Your dealership refuses to help:

UUUUMMMM, really, is that what you suggest??? What are you going to do for ME to get this fixed. Your dealership refuses to help:
There isn't anything else the Ford rep can suggest. As well each dealership is independently owned so it actually isn't "your dealership" as you stated. I agree that this should be considered a definite 'safety issue' but Ford says otherwise in their statement to the NHTSA. Because this 5th generation was a new design and had so many electronic features, I and many others opted to take out the ESP warranty to cover possible breakdowns and situations like this. That option was there for everyone to take. Since you don't show which model/year Explorer you have I can't really comment on your statement, "It's a problem they knew about upon releasing to it to the public and decided to risk lives instead of fixing." This began to show up in the 2011 model so that statement would not apply to it. The NHTSA didn't contact Ford about this issue until July 12, 2012. In case you haven't read Ford's response which was posted earlier in this thread, here it is;

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM425907/INRL-PE12017-52566.pdf

To be clear, I am not defending or necessarily agreeing with Ford's stand on this issue. I too would be quite upset if it happened with my Explorer and I'm also concerned that this issue may result in a serious accident or fatality.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter, 1st: it's a 2011 Explorer like most others have complained about. 2nd: it's also a Lease. That's one of the main benefits of getting a lease: to not have the headaches of maintnenance. Bottom line: what they are doing as a company sucks and is disgraceful.

Back