Got my 2014 Sport Friday | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got my 2014 Sport Friday

Purp1eOne

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Was able to snap a few pics before it got rained on, now to figure out how to wash and wax a black vehicle:D

2013-07-20104710_zpsd67f9697.jpg

2013-07-20104802_zpsa00a6fcc.jpg

2013-07-19185948_zps7e2bf3ed.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was able to snap a few pics before it got rained on, now to figure out how to wash and wax a black vehicle:D
Very sharp looking Explorer. As far as washing goes, I imagine you'll be doing quite a bit of that to keep it clean looking. :D
That is a major reason I went with the white tri-coat. It certainly doesn't show the dirt or dust that much at all. especially from a distance. Not sure what kind of wax the dealer used in the initial prep but it's going on 2 1/2 years and I haven't waxed it yet. It is just now that the rain doesn't seem to be beading as much any more.
Good luck and happy motoring Purp1eOne.:thumbsup:

Peter

Looks good! I was initially going to order black because that paint (with the metallic flake) looks fantastic in the sun! Was a little worried about keeping it looking fantastic though from previous experience with black... then I found out one of my co-workers ordered a sport a couple weeks before I did in black and made up my mind to get a different color (ruby red). The tux black does look awesome though! Congrats!

Good luck with it. Meguiar's now makes a wax just for black vehicles. You might want to check that out. Enjoy!

Love it...that is why I got the same one (but a 2013) :)

There is noting like a black vehicle all cleaned up and polished to a high shine - I have 2.

A 2004 Corvette that gets wax striped, clay barred, polished and waxed every year. Never gets washed as it is wiped down with high $$ detail wax. Never had swirl marks - never will.

Then I "had" a black 2005 Chevy Avalanche, which I sold to get my Explorer, that I only went through a local car wash. It was a "touch" car wash and I always bought the clear coat protection. I never - ever did anything by hand with this truck and it looked great! No swirl marks! Not as good as the vette, but good enough to get compliments from buyers.

So I am not saying to do it all by hand or just go to a car wash - it just depends on the level of perfection you want.

I look at it this way - the corvette is shown in car shows - some times for weeks in a row - the Avalanche was a daily driver - but I liked it clean.

If you use a car wash - you will still need to stop at the end and dry it off as it will get water spots and I always wiped down the door sills and doors edges and the like.

My new 2014 Explorer is the Triple Coat White................LOL

Good luck!

Glenn

I just sold my 2012 charger srt8 and I have been using /Collinite-Liquid-Insulator-Wax-845, this wax is applied very sparingly and is a liquid. It wipes off very easy and the water just beads off the paint. I used it on my GTO as well with excellent results. If you paint needs a bit of cleaning use a clay bar prior to waxing for superior results.

Very nice '14 Sport! I got the same one and so far my wife loves it. Since this picture I have added the mud guards like the one in your pics. Those are a big help to protect the lower sides of the car.
Now comes the task to keep this baby clean and waxed!

2014Sport.jpg

Hi
I just got my 2014 Explorer Sport last week. I am getting a very strong gas smell coming through the vents. It hasn't leaked anything on the garage floor but the smell is so strong in the garage it is coming in the house. I had to finally park it outside. Calling the dealership tomorrow. Has anyone else heard of this or had this problem?

Hi
I just got my 2014 Explorer Sport last week. I am getting a very strong gas smell coming through the vents. It hasn't leaked anything on the garage floor but the smell is so strong in the garage it is coming in the house. I had to finally park it outside. Calling the dealership tomorrow. Has anyone else heard of this or had this problem?
Welcome to the Forum Kdear.:wavey:
There is a recall for the 2013 Ford Explorer that has to do with the fuel delivery module possibly leaking. Looks like the 2014 may have the same issue if that is your problem.
There is a thread in the 'Sticky' part of the forum about this;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386955

If yours is actually leaking, you should be prepared to have the dealer keep it if they don't have the parts in stock.
Good luck.

Peter

Thank you for the info! Much appreciated. :)

Nice color choice!

It's an attention grabber! Got my first speeding ticket last week. 5 months into ownership!

Nice color choice!

It's an attention grabber! Got my first speeding ticket last week. 5 months into ownership!

Yah I am having to watch my speed I don't realize how fast I am going half the time. Don't hardly touch the pedal and I am doing 50.

Very nice '14 Sport! I got the same one and so far my wife loves it. Since this picture I have added the mud guards like the one in your pics. Those are a big help to protect the lower sides of the car.
Now comes the task to keep this baby clean and waxed!

2014Sport.jpg

So does anyone use polish before they wax? I have never used it and not sure if it makes that big a difference.

I bought some McQuires Ultimate over the weekend to try and the wax says its safe if you get some on the plastic but the polish says not to. Don't know if its worth it.

So does anyone use polish before they wax? I have never used it and not sure if it makes that big a difference.

I bought some McQuires Ultimate over the weekend to try and the wax says its safe if you get some on the plastic but the polish says not to. Don't know if its worth it.

Check out my post #7 in regards to my black corvette.

With a black finish, it is important to get the small surface scratches off before wax is applied otherwise when the wax wears off you will end up with swirl marks. Th polish removes them. Wax just "fills-in" the surface scratches. Used car dealers love "Car Glaze", which just fills in the small scratches until the car is washed.

But again - it depends on how deep you want to get.

On the flip side - I had a black Avalanche that always went through a car wash and never had any swirl marks - but I washed it often.

Hope this helps - always remember - polish is not wax and polish and wax should be applied with an orbital machine for best results.

Glenn

Hi

I guess I should have posted under a different thread so I apologize but thought I'd follow up. I brought it to the dealership and they need to replace the fuel pump and fuel line. Now I have a loaner. They need to get parts from US so it's going to be a week. Groan. I hope this isn't the start of more to come. It only has 250 miles on it. In the meantime I get to play with an Escape. Fun car.

Kdear, I hope this is just a fluke for you and your new Explorer. Sometimes things are bad from the factory whether it be faulty parts or labor. I remember in 1995 I bought a Mitsubishi 3000GT and a few days after I bought it my brakes failed. Turned out to be a faulty brake line but the results could have been disastrous but I was going slower when it failed and was able to use the manual emergency brake and downshifting to stop. The dealer took care of it and that car had no further issues.

Best of luck on the outcome.

In the case of your new vehicle, it falls under the Federal recall. Dealers were directed to repair any such gas leaks pre-delivery, period.....failure to do so could result in a hefty fine if you persued this issue......This is pure disregard for your safety....Such Dealers should be held accountable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out my post #7 in regards to my black corvette.

With a black finish, it is important to get the small surface scratches off before wax is applied otherwise when the wax wears off you will end up with swirl marks. Th polish removes them. Wax just "fills-in" the surface scratches. Used car dealers love "Car Glaze", which just fills in the small scratches until the car is washed.

But again - it depends on how deep you want to get.

On the flip side - I had a black Avalanche that always went through a car wash and never had any swirl marks - but I washed it often.

Hope this helps - always remember - polish is not wax and polish and wax should be applied with an orbital machine for best results.

Glenn

Sorry I over looked your reply.

"A 2004 Corvette that gets wax striped, clay barred, polished and waxed every year. Never gets washed as it is wiped down with high $$ detail wax"

Could you explain what striped wax and clay barred are along with the high dollar detail wax and how often you do these?

Back