Water Leak | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hi,
Just curious if they ever got your leak fixed? I am thinking of buying an Explorer but saw the possible leak as a big concern.
Thanks
Jed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are most of the water leaks impacting 2011/2012 vehicles or are there 2013 and 2014 Explorers also experiencing leaks?

Are most of the water leaks impacting 2011/2012 vehicles or are there 2013 and 2014 Explorers also experiencing leaks?
There are a few 2013's that have this issue. I'm waiting for the first post about this from a 2014 owner.

Peter

Not yet

Hi,
Just curious if they ever got your leak fixed? I am thinking of buying an Explorer but saw the possible leak as a big concern.
Thanks
Jed
Still waiting forums to be fixed
I would not buy another one
And u shouldn't either!
The next inspection is aug 12 why do I say inspection u ask because all they do is look at it
They told me they sealed it the last time which was not true they never took the headliner down and I don't see anything different
Save yourmoneyor buy a Chevy
Frank

I have a 2012 Ford Explorer that I purchased about 4 months ago.. a couple of weeks ago we were driving and my daughter was in the third row and was yelling at us because water was coming in the third row seatbelts on both sides.. We took to the dealer and they first said that they could not find anything. We showed them a UTube video we saw of a ford explorer doing the same thing so then they looked further into it. The Dealer said they had never seen this before. They are fixing it they pulled the headliner off and said the seals were cracked. The Scary thing is they gave us a 2011 explorer to drive and it rained the past couple of days and IT IS LEAKING THE SAME WAY!!!! My husband called the sales manager at the dealership and told him and the sales manger chews my husband out.. My husband told him about the website and the UTUBE video.. HE TOLD MY HUSBAND THAT HE DIDNT CARE WHAT WAS ON THE INTERNET..YOU THINK HE WOULD.. HE ALSO CHANGED HIS STORY AND SAID THAT SOME OF THEM AT THE DEALERSHIP HAVE SEEN THIS PROBLEM.. THEY NEED TO GET THERE STORY STRAIGHT... I HAVE SEVERAL CONCERNS WITH THIS VEHICLE NOT ONLY IF THIS KEEPS HAPPENING THEN THE TRADE IN VALUE WILL BE EVEN LESS.. DO NOT BUY A FORD!!!!!

I have a 2012 Ford Explorer that I purchased about 4 months ago.. a couple of weeks ago we were driving and my daughter was in the third row and was yelling at us because water was coming in the third row seatbelts on both sides...

Hi bdyson,

I want to get your regional customer service manager involved so they can help. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll be happy to get to work on your case for you.

Crystal

I have a 2012 Ford Explorer that I purchased about 4 months ago.. a couple of weeks ago we were driving and my daughter was in the third row and was yelling at us because water was coming in the third row seatbelts on both sides.. We took to the dealer and they first said that they could not find anything. We showed them a UTube video we saw of a ford explorer doing the same thing so then they looked further into it. The Dealer said they had never seen this before. They are fixing it they pulled the headliner off and said the seals were cracked. The Scary thing is they gave us a 2011 explorer to drive and it rained the past couple of days and IT IS LEAKING THE SAME WAY!!!! My husband called the sales manager at the dealership and told him and the sales manger chews my husband out.. My husband told him about the website and the UTUBE video.. HE TOLD MY HUSBAND THAT HE DIDNT CARE WHAT WAS ON THE INTERNET..YOU THINK HE WOULD.. HE ALSO CHANGED HIS STORY AND SAID THAT SOME OF THEM AT THE DEALERSHIP HAVE SEEN THIS PROBLEM.. THEY NEED TO GET THERE STORY STRAIGHT... I HAVE SEVERAL CONCERNS WITH THIS VEHICLE NOT ONLY IF THIS KEEPS HAPPENING THEN THE TRADE IN VALUE WILL BE EVEN LESS.. DO NOT BUY A FORD!!!!!

They gave you a 2011 loaner while they fixed the problem?!? Sounds terrible. I sure hope it had heated mirrors.

They gave you a 2011 loaner while they fixed the problem?!? Sounds terrible. I sure hope it had heated mirrors.

They originally told my Husband they would give me something comparable.. They gave me a 2013 Ford FOCUS..LOL.. my husbands knees were hitting the front dash.. Then they traded it and gave us a basic model 2011 ford explorer with cloth seats.. We got in it and it smells like a wet dog.. I looked at him and said I bet this one is leaking too.. and sure enough... I could not stand the smell and I had to go buy an air freshener for the car..

Water leak repair success?

Just wondering what kind of experience people were having when they had the water leak near the rear seat repaired?
Did it fix the leak for good?
What actual part/seal/seam had to be re-sealed? Have all the leaks been from the same spot?
Do we think this is a permanent fix or likely to recur?
I'm thinking of buying a used '13 and just trying to do my homework.
Any and all feedback appreciated.
Thanks
Jed

Hello every one, I have 2014 explorer sport with less then 600 miles. I only recently saw this thread right after I purchased my sport less then a month ago. When read this i was vary paranoid and tried running a hose to my roof and it was fine. Im from NJ so we been getting some rain. I opened the back this morning remembering to always check now right after it rains. Now I didnt keep an eye as the back open because I have power trunk and kind of just walked slowly to the back of the vehicle. Thats when I noticed driplets on the driver side 3rd row. Of course paranoia kicks in. I dont think it happened when the trunk opened cause it was a good 6 or 7 inches in. It was not a lot a all but enough to cause concern. The speaker seemed dry and the only trace of evidence I could see is that on the seat belt it was slightly discolored, as though very little water was trickling down. The discoloration where it stops seems to match where the droplets are. It's hard to tell if it was damp because its humid and I had the AC on coming home from work. It's going to be taken in on tuesday to Ford to see the water guy. But damn, I am really opening im just paranoid right now

Hello every one, I have 2014 explorer sport with less then 600 miles. I only recently saw this thread right after I purchased my sport less then a month ago. When read this i was vary paranoid and tried running a hose to my roof and it was fine. Im from NJ so we been getting some rain. I opened the back this morning remembering to always check now right after it rains. Now I didnt keep an eye as the back open because I have power trunk and kind of just walked slowly to the back of the vehicle. Thats when I noticed driplets on the driver side 3rd row. Of course paranoia kicks in. I dont think it happened when the trunk opened cause it was a good 6 or 7 inches in. It was not a lot a all but enough to cause concern. The speaker seemed dry and the only trace of evidence I could see is that on the seat belt it was slightly discolored, as though very little water was trickling down. The discoloration where it stops seems to match where the droplets are. It's hard to tell if it was damp because its humid and I had the AC on coming home from work. It's going to be taken in on tuesday to Ford to see the water guy. But damn, I am really opening im just paranoid right now
Well, folks, it looks like we have our first report of the water leak on a 2014. I guess this is something that Ford just cannot or will not fix.

Sorry to hear about this issue xbreaker. I am quite sure that the water on the belt was not caused by water running in from opening the hatch. I would think that would be impossible. Good luck with the dealer. I think you should mention to him that this has been happening to some owners on all previous model years.

Peter

My girl friend works at Ford so Im going to make sure that they really inspect it and take that head liner out to check, even though the last thing I want is my car to be ripped apart. Im going to be driving the car less in case i need to use the lemon law. I definitely do not want to be leaving my car in for weeks on end while they try and figure things out. But I know most of the people there so hopefully everything turns out ok

Hello every one, I have 2014 explorer sport with less then 600 miles. I only recently saw this thread right after I purchased my sport less then a month ago. When read this i was vary paranoid and tried running a hose to my roof and it was fine. Im from NJ so we been getting some rain. I opened the back this morning remembering to always check now right after it rains. Now I didnt keep an eye as the back open because I have power trunk and kind of just walked slowly to the back of the vehicle. Thats when I noticed driplets on the driver side 3rd row...

Hi xbreaker,

I want to get your regional customer service manager involved so they can assist. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get the ball rolling.

Crystal

I got my vehicle back Wednesday from being in the shop for 10 days. They pulled the headliner off and fixed the seals.. When we looked at it they scratched up the inside a bit and forgot to put some pins in the driver side third row panel.. was not even flush you could stick your fingers down the side.. Also I have black sealer spattered on the paint a little.. luckily my explorer is Black.. So I took back yesterday for them to put the rest of the pins in.. I got it back yesterday afternoon.. IT RAINED LAST NIGHT...STILL LEAKING... GOT TO GO BACK TODAY.. NOW TO PULL THE HEALINER OFF AGAIN AND SCRATCH THE CAR UP SOMEMORE.. THIS SUCKS....

Not to sound rude, but what can the regional customer service manager do besides send me to Ford and have the water guy look at it. Do they log these cases in? Because it seems like they don't since so many have the problem and dealers telling them they never heard of it. After reading the forums it seems like 1 out 20 has had said they stopped the leak. And it also seem lke 100% of the time that the head liner had to be taken down (which I am not fond of, especially in a 2014 with not even a 1000 miles on it). The one who had fixed their leak said that after taking it down there's a hole on the roof, I guess from the side bars or the rack, where the factory didnt seal up. Im going to hopefully see if thats the same case

Well, folks, it looks like we have our first report of the water leak on a 2014. I guess this is something that Ford just cannot or will not fix.

Sorry to hear about this issue xbreaker. I am quite sure that the water on the belt was not caused by water running in from opening the hatch. I would think that would be impossible. Good luck with the dealer. I think you should mention to him that this has been happening to some owners on all previous model years.

Peter

If it is like our dealer they will say they don't care what's on the internet... Go online and search for UTUBE video for water leak for explorer and show them that.. There are a couple of them on there and shows water coming in down both seat belts..That is the only thing that got them to do anything .. At first they told us they couldn't find a leak until we showed them that video then they looked more into it and called Ford Motor Company.

Not to sound rude, but what can the regional customer service manager do besides send me to Ford and have the water guy look at it. Do they log these cases in?...

Hi xbreaker,

The best way for our engineering team to get data about concerns is through dealership diagnosis. When similar vehicles experience similar concerns, they use that data to find solutions that can help out everyone. Let me know if you want me to assist; I'm always just a PM away. :)

Crystal

Hi xbreaker,

The best way for our engineering team to get data about concerns is through dealership diagnosis. When similar vehicles experience similar concerns, they use that data to find solutions that can help out everyone. Let me know if you want me to assist; I'm always just a PM away. :)

Crystal
Crystal, please don't take this personally, but this water leak issue was first reported in 2011. I can see why members would be skeptical that Ford is doing anything about solving the problem which now is appearing in the 2014 model. The thing that I find amusing is that Ford has issued a TSB on a sticky console door; 11-10-27 FORWARD CENTER CONSOLE STORAGE BIN DOOR DIFFICULT TO OPEN, but they have said nothing about the water leak or the sudden loss of steering which in my opinion are much more important that a sticky console door. Can you really blame some owners for wondering if Ford is really doing anything about it or really cares.
I know that you and the other reps that monitor the forum are doing the best that you can and are unfortunately caught in the middle. You are all doing a great job and I applaud Ford for having reps monitoring the site. We are fortunate to have you.
Going for a coffee now.

Peter

Hi xbreaker,

Crystal

I dont want to sound like Im attack you but obviously I am frustrated right now. But if that's the best way for engineers over there to get data, how come its showing up in the 2014 models? And why is it that dealers are saying they never heard of the problem before if there's 3 years worth of data being collected?

Now you been hearing about this issue now, for years. I think if a dealer says they dont believe it or never have heard of the issue it would be better if we give them your name and phone number Crystal. That way they can call you directly and you can let them know its been an issue for three years now. It would be better that way if they never heard of it, then they obviously wouldnt know where to start. This way you can pass along the data you guys have collected in the three years to them over the phone so they know where to start off. Especially for the dealers who are not able to replicate the leak when they take their vehicle in

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am very disappointed to see that the 2014 has the same water leak as the 2011,12,13,14. This is my second post. I'm the retired ford employe . I wanted to check back to see if the leak problem was affecting the 2014 model.

I was talking with a Jeep dealer today about a Grand Cherokee with there new 3.0 diesel that gets 30 mpg with 4x2 and 28 mpg with 4x4 with the 8 speed auto trans.

I also visited the jeep forum and found no major problems like the explorer is having.

They also have the quada air lift/ride. So far no problems that I could find and its been out three years.

Sad to say I don't think I'll be using my Z plan #

Back