Warranty claim after coverage (only just) expired?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Warranty claim after coverage (only just) expired?!

-andrew-

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
Curious if anyone has any experience with this here.

My wife's Explorer clicked over 36,000 miles this week. Problem is, I had planned to work from home today so I could have the dealer look at a persistent CEL, as well as a flaw in one of the door panels. She didn't pay close enough attention to the mileage this week, and the odometer read 36,019 this AM when I pulled into the dealer. Not a big deal I thought as I walked in to see a service writer. Wow was I wrong. Over 36k miles? No more warranty sir, you need to pay for all repairs, and no I don't care if it just rolled over on your way here.

So here I am, with a check engine light still on for an evap leak that the dealer couldn't find last time it was there. That visit was covered under warranty, but this time it sounds like I'm out of luck on getting that covered even though it's pre-existing. I've known about the door panel for a week or two now, but never did manage to get over to have it looked at. It wasn't a high priority and figured I'd squeak in right before the odometer rolled over. Missed it by 19 miles. In hind sight, I wonder if I should have taken advantage of Roadside Assistance and made them tow the car to the dealer to avoid going over mileage.

I've got a case open with Ford Customer Care, but I'm not sure where that's going to go. I'm honestly kind of surprised this is such a problem for the folks at Form Motor Company. Has anyone else here been thru anything like this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Curious if anyone has any experience with this here.

My wife's Explorer clicked over 36,000 miles this week. Problem is, I had planned to work from home today so I could have the dealer look at a persistent CEL, as well as a flaw in one of the door panels. She didn't pay close enough attention to the mileage this week, and the odometer read 36,019 this AM when I pulled into the dealer. Not a big deal I thought as I walked in to see a service writer. Wow was I wrong. Over 36k miles? No more warranty sir, you need to pay for all repairs, and no I don't care if it just rolled over on your way here.

So here I am, with a check engine light still on for an evap leak that the dealer couldn't find last time it was there. That visit was covered under warranty, but this time it sounds like I'm out of luck on getting that covered even though it's pre-existing. I've known about the door panel for a week or two now, but never did manage to get over to have it looked at. It wasn't a high priority and figured I'd squeak in right before the odometer rolled over. Missed it by 19 miles. In hind sight, I wonder if I should have taken advantage of Roadside Assistance and made them tow the car to the dealer to avoid going over mileage.

I've got a case open with Ford Customer Care, but I'm not sure where that's going to go. I'm honestly kind of surprised this is such a problem for the folks at Form Motor Company. Has anyone else here been thru anything like this?
There have been a few members who have had repairs done after just going over the 36k mark and the dealer didn't charge. The best thing is to send a Private Message to Crystal (Ford rep) explaining the situation. Just find a post by FordService and click on that name in the left margin. Then select, "Send a private message....." I think she will also require your VIN, dealer name and location, your name and contact info.
This is one reason I and many others took out the Ford ESP. Too many things to go wrong with this vehicle being it was a new design and loaded with electronics.
Good luck.

Peter

If it is preexisting and it was documented on your paperwork, the dealer should get it covered. The key is the exact complaint needs to be documented prior to the mileage.

Contact the Ford rep on here, she will be able to assist. Ford needs to give approval once you are outside the 36k regardless of whether it is 1 mile or 1, 000. The dealer is being unreasonable to not contact Ford and just say "it is on your dime".

Remember the dealer has to enter your mileage into the computer (it is black and white) which is why you need to contact Ford first.

I have no doubt they will help you out. Heck, they covered half of a thermostat replacement 1, 500 mi, es outside my extended warranty. A part that had 101, 500 miles on it. 19 miles should not be an issue on a preexisting issue.

...I've got a case open with Ford Customer Care, but I'm not sure where that's going to go. I'm honestly kind of surprised this is such a problem for the folks at Form Motor Company. Has anyone else here been thru anything like this?

Hi -andrew-,

I'll look into this for you and see how I can help. Send me your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name in a PM and I'll start looking for some answers. :)

...The best thing is to send a Private Message to Crystal (Ford rep) explaining the situation...

...Contact the Ford rep on here, she will be able to assist...

Thanks for the shout-outs, Peter and blwnsmoke!

Crystal

So if you bought the vehicle with say 124 miles on it because they brought it in from another dealership, your warranty would still expire at 36K? You just lose those 124 miles?

So if you bought the vehicle with say 24 miles on it, would'nt you have warranty coverage up to 36,024?
No. The warranty expires at 36k miles or 3 years. The same applies to the ESP. When you buy the ESP, it starts at mile 0 (zero) as long as you buy it before the factory warranty expires.

Peter

So if you bought the vehicle with say 124 miles on it because they brought it in from another dealership, your warranty would still expire at 36K? You just lose those 124 miles?

Nope..the 36K starts from when you took possession from the dealer. If it read 124 miles, then your warranty would expire at 36,124

Peter, maybe it's different in Canada. I've talked with my dealer about this and he says it's 36k from when you picked it up.

That's an interesting point. Doing a little research shows that some manufacturers like Kia actually count warranty mileage from the delivery mileage. I have to read thru the Ford warranty terms, but my car was delivered with 124 miles on the clock.

I'll look into this for you and see how I can help. Send me your VIN, dealer, mileage..

Thanks Crystal, PM on the way.

Nope..the 36K starts from when you took possession from the dealer. If it read 124 miles, then your warranty would expire at 36,124

Peter, maybe it's different in Canada. I've talked with my dealer about this and he says it's 36k from when you picked it up.
Just spoke with Ford and they confirmed that the factory warranty expires at 36k miles regardless of the mileage that was on it when you bought it.

Peter

Not true. Ford starts at 0 regardless of how many were on it when you bought it.

Then my dealer is making up for it :).

lol that's a nice dealer. I definitely don't agree with how Ford does it. If I'm buying a new vehicle, I should have the 3yr/36k from the purchase date. I remember when I bought my F250 back in 2007, I bought it from a dealership in CT who got it from a dealership in NY. The truck was driven from NY to CT and had almost 300 miles on it when I bought it (bought it NEW) but warranty was still up at 36k and 100k.

If Ford wants to consider the warranty at 0 miles.. then vehicles should be sold at 0 miles, not 6, not 20, not 100 or they should be considering it a "used" vehicle. I don't mind 20% off sticker for a brand new "used" vehicle.

I do have a good dealership. Lake Ford in Lewistown, PA has been good to us.

Judging by the 'accent' of the person on the phone, I'd say she was American. The contact number I used was from Ford.com. Anyway, this shouldn't be a big issue. It isn't like they pile up that much mileage on a new Explorer unless you happen to get one that was 'road tested' right after production.
I guess some dealers may pick up the cost just like some of them do when supplying a loaner/rental when Ford has no obligation to do so. The main thing is to keep the customer happy.

Peter

Judging by the 'accent' of the person on the phone, I'd say she was American. The contact number I used was from Ford.com. Anyway, this shouldn't be a big issue. It isn't like they pile up that much mileage on a new Explorer unless you happen to get one that was 'road tested' right after production.
I guess some dealers may pick up the cost just like some of them do when supplying a loaner/rental when Ford has no obligation to do so. The main thing is to keep the customer happy.

Peter

Or they lie and enter in a lower mileage number. There is nothing to say that if you have 36,112 miles on the odo, they will won't enter in 35,852 instead. Your paperwork will tell the story.

Or they lie and enter in a lower mileage number. There is nothing to say that if you have 36,112 miles on the odo, they will won't enter in 35,852 instead. Your paperwork will tell the story.
Don't count on any help from Ford ...... Out of warranty? Tough luck! I've already experienced this reply with my 2010 Fusion. Got rid of it and learned a valued leason with Ford ........ Don't count on any help! :mad:

Don't count on any help from Ford ...... Out of warranty? Tough luck! I've already experienced this reply with my 2010 Fusion. Got rid of it and learned a valued leason with Ford ........ Don't count on any help! :mad:
Although I can't argue against your statement, Ford does have the ESP option available to every customer. I assume that your statement applied to the factory warranty.

Peter

Lets see.. Ford has paid for every one of my rentals (didnt have an esp at the time) and they have paid 50% of an out of warranty repair. They have been nothing but GREAT to me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The warranty beginning mileage and purchase date in entered into Oasis the day you buy the vehicle. The B to B is 36K from the beginning mileage entered. Let's say the dealer does a trade for your vehicle from another and has to drive it back, which puts 450 miles on it before you even sign the paperwork. How is it fair to you that you just lost 450 miles of warranty? Same thing when you buy a dealer demo with 3000 miles on it, the warranty starts from the one entered into Oasis. Don't believe everything a call center employee tells you.

Back