2003 Explorer rear differential leak. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer rear differential leak.

mhartson

Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer 4.6 AWD
Hello, I am new to the forum and have a question. I have a 2003 Explorer 4.6L V8 AWD. While changing the oil I decided to check everything out under my explorer and noticed the rear differential was seeping fluid around where the cv axle enters the differential on the drivers side. I park my explorer on clean concrete every night and it has never dripped at all. It seems to be very slow seepage and my mechanic checked the level of fluid and it was full. I went ahead and bought a new seal from Ford. My question is should I go ahead and fix it or wait till it starts dripping? Also can anyone give me detailed instructions of how to replace the seal? Thank you so much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, I am new to the forum and have a question. I have a 2003 Explorer 4.6L V8 AWD. While changing the oil I decided to check everything out under my explorer and noticed the rear differential was seeping fluid around where the cv axle enters the differential on the drivers side. I park my explorer on clean concrete every night and it has never dripped at all. It seems to be very slow seepage and my mechanic checked the level of fluid and it was full. I went ahead and bought a new seal from Ford. My question is should I go ahead and fix it or wait till it starts dripping? Also can anyone give me detailed instructions of how to replace the seal? Thank you so much.

Umm.. How many miles on the rig? It wouldn't hurt to do the seals & change the fluid if you have 50K miles or so..

It has 98000 miles on it but the main seal has already been replaced at about 92000 miles. The passenger side is not leaking at all around the cv axle. Do you know how to change the seal? If so I sure would appreciate any detailed directions you could give me. Thank you for replying

It has 98000 miles on it but the main seal has already been replaced at about 92000 miles. The passenger side is not leaking at all around the cv axle. Do you know how to change the seal? If so I sure would appreciate any detailed directions you could give me. Thank you for replying

I haven't worked on a rear axle on a 02-07 Explorer other than doing brakes.. But I'd recommend getting a chilton or haynes manual for it if your gonna do routine maintenance. I think they run about $20-30

welcome

I am still seeking detailed instructions if any one can help I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much.

Hey Bud, I got the same problem on a 2002 with 90k. I am fairly new to this site and am having difficulty sorting the axle seal issues out as well. A couple things that I have concluded thus far are as follows:
1.) Everyone is having trouble with these rear diferential seals (and apparently the fronts as well).
2.) Replacing them is not so easy and requires some specialty tools.
3.) I paid $32 a piece for new seals from Ford, which are apparently the 8th redesign of the seal.
4.) Reinstalling the axle once the new seal has been installed is the Gotcha part. Apparently, one slight nick and the seals go bad within a year.
5.) Lots of folks are recommending to have the dealer do it for $300-400 and get a one year warranty in writting. Apparently, you may need it.
6.) I have found the best information on doing the repair myself from posts on replacing the "rear wheel bearings".
7.) I will try to send you the links that I found helpful once I relocate them!!!

I have not done mine yet, I am a little scared of nicking the seal.

Sorry, forgot a few things:
Specialty tools: Hub puller, seal installer (round disk with a handle I think)
Apparently, there is a BIG difference in the amount of labor between replacing the differential AXLE seals versus the PINION (driveshaft) seal.
Check this post out: "How to" '02 explorer rear wheel bearing replacement (pictures)

Thanks for replying. How long has yours been leaking? I have got the new seal but I am just worried about how difficult it will be. But I am not paying a mechanic hundreds of dollars because I talked with a ford technician and he told me it was simple and not worth having them do because I can do it myself. Needless to say I am still worried. If you have any links to detailed pics and instructions I would really appreciate it. Again thanks for replying.

I bought my 2002 limited 4x4 little a month ago and noticed that the driver side seal on the rear was leaking, 153000 miles on it, I have messed with plenty of rear ends, the rear end had the chatter in it, so I dropped the whole thing and replaced the clutch packs with carbon fiber ones, and I replaced the seals too on both sides, I used slide hammer with a flat hook on it, they popped right out, then I gently , got the new ones started straight then I took 2x4 and held it flat to the metal outer ring and couple good smacks with a good size hammer they popped right in. but this was with the rear end out of the truck, but it looks like it wouldn`t be that be bad with it in, would be a 2 person job that way, also my local ford dealer wanted 45.00 a seal for the axle shafts on the diff, I went to advance auto and ordered the national seal brand and they were like 18.99 for both sides and now it leak free:D

Both my front and rear differentials are bone dry at 102K miles and 7 1/2 years old, so it is not guaranteed that they go out prematurely.

That said, if your parking spot remains dry, the leak rate is slow, perhaps very slow. If it is not bad enough to leave spots where you park it, I would not fool with it - just make sure that your gear oil level is okay and add more as necessary.

Why screw with it and possibly make it worse, in addition to spending the money?

Over time it will probably get worse, just take care of it when it gets worse.

thanks man that is exactly what my mechanic said. you got any pics of your explorer?

I found the post to which I was refering -- check this out.

02 rear axle seal problems
posted by tomgeorge2000

Unfortunately, no pictures.
The part that concerns me is as follows:

CAUTION: Do not allow the splines on inboard CV joint housing to touch the axle shaft oil seal.

NOTE: A circlip retains the inboard CV joint housing to the differential side gear in the axle.

Using the special tools, disengage the inboard CV joint housing from the differential side gear.

I just did this job. My specialty tools = a 2x4 and a BFH (Big ... Hammer). It took about 30 minutes to take it apart and about 30 minutes to put it back together. No big deal.

Yeah i agree i dont think it's a big deal.....if you have some mechanical knowledge, you should be able to do it.
(alot of times Chiltons manuals will claim that you need a "special" tool for something, when in reality you don't.....so it's your call)

BTW: Im at 40k and my front differential is leaking too....but i think it's from the gasket or pinion seal....gonna try to fix it today.

Haven't heard a peep yet from the Rear-end....thank God.

I bought my 2002 limited 4x4 little a month ago and noticed that the driver side seal on the rear was leaking, 153000 miles on it, I have messed with plenty of rear ends, the rear end had the chatter in it, so I dropped the whole thing and replaced the clutch packs with carbon fiber ones, and I replaced the seals too on both sides, I used slide hammer with a flat hook on it, they popped right out, then I gently , got the new ones started straight then I took 2x4 and held it flat to the metal outer ring and couple good smacks with a good size hammer they popped right in. but this was with the rear end out of the truck, but it looks like it wouldn`t be that be bad with it in, would be a 2 person job that way, also my local ford dealer wanted 45.00 a seal for the axle shafts on the diff, I went to advance auto and ordered the national seal brand and they were like 18.99 for both sides and now it leak free:D

I know this is post is old but any chance you could tell me the part number for that National seal or at least how to search it out on Adv Auto's site? When I type in "Rear differential drive axle seal" it shows me a seal for the front drive axle, # 710429. thanks.

I know this is post is old but any chance you could tell me the part number for that National seal or at least how to search it out on Adv Auto's site? When I type in "Read differential drive axle seal" it shows me a seal for the front drive axle, # 710429. thanks.

I bought SKF oil seals for mine. Part #18005. List price is $40 I paid $20.60 per seal which appears to be a double lip seal. Getting ready to do mine they are leaking really bad I plan on doing rear struts at same time.

I bought SKF oil seals for mine. Part #18005. List price is $40 I paid $20.60 per seal which appears to be a double lip seal. Getting ready to do mine they are leaking really bad I plan on doing rear struts at same time.

Thanks for the info...it saved me a big headache (I was looking at the differential pinion seal).

I'm curious if you chose the SKF ones for a reason...Rockauto.com has the Timkens for $12.56 shipped (not counting my 5% discount code) and the National (Federal-Mogul) ones for even less and the Motorcraft ones were the cheapest(??). However, I did notice they had the SKF ones for essentially the same price as what you got yours.

I've always heard from various maintenance folks that Timken made the best bearings with SKF pretty close if not equal. But, I do realize we're talking seals here.

I think you're looking at the old style seal. They require a seal protector when re-installing the half-shaft, the redesign doesn't need it as well as the dust cap.

I bought mine at Napa (SKF made in taiwan) for $29 (incl. tax) while the one from stealership is $40. It comes with the circlip.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...-Shaft-Seal-Rear-Axle/_/R-NOS18005_0400215363

I just did this recently and my special tool is a set of 2x4 (1 short and long) stud and a mallet to press it in.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you're looking at the old style seal. They require a seal protector when re-installing the half-shaft, the redesign doesn't need it as well as the dust cap.

I bought mine at Napa (SKF made in taiwan) for $29 (incl. tax) while the one from stealership is $40. It comes with the circlip.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...-Shaft-Seal-Rear-Axle/_/R-NOS18005_0400215363

[/url]

The SKF one on Rockauto for $20 shipped has the same P/N as the link you sent. Does anyone know if the NATIONAL Part # 100537 is the new style having the seal protector and if it comes with circlip? Thanks.

Back