2014 Sport Ordered | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Sport Ordered

Welcome Motoarzan

They used to batch build like 7 years ago not any more! Base,XLT,limited, & sport run down the same line at the same time.
Trust me.................... I'm B.I.W. Engineer. Flex line the only way to make rate and money.:)

Check it out
http://wardsauto.com/news-amp-analysis/ford-moves-away-batch-building
http://www.nbcchicago.com/the-scene/...111263879.html

I ordered my Sport July 18th, 2013. and was told up front 6-8 wks delivery. Fine.
A few weeks ago I got my VIN and a date for build as the first week in September (next week) and an ETA to dealer (in Canada) mid Sept, Sept 20th to be more precise.
Seems a lot of you other guys are in the same boat waiting.
Basically, they don't just tuck in the odd Sport on the regular assembly line amongst all the other trim Explorers. I think because the sport has more assembly processes because of the engine and other unique features they like to build them in batches to ensure better quality control. When operators work on 200 regular Explorers and then a sport comes along every couple hours or so it opens the door for mistakes and plus adds logistical difficulty in feeding the different parts "just in time" to the stations.
Come next week they'll have about 6 weeks or more of "Sport" orders and basically set the line to build nothing but sports all week long ensuring repetitiveness and quality.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My car arrived at the dealership yesterday and will be delivered to my home today. Finally!

My car arrived at the dealership yesterday and will be delivered to my home today. Finally!

Yay! Fantastic news, johnnybravo; don't forget to post pictures so we can check out your new Explorer. :)

Crystal

Welcome Motoarzan

They used to batch build like 7 years ago not any more! Base,XLT,limited, & sport run down the same line at the same time.
Trust me.................... I'm B.I.W. Engineer. Flex line the only way to make rate and money.:)

Yes, I understand the build sequence I work onsite in various auto plants in Ontario and that's generally how it's done. However; I heard that because of the backlog of pre-orders and the sport being unique that they were doing batch builds on the sport until "all" the trims were up to speed, matching demand and dealers had a healthy inventory on the lots of all trims.

I ordered my Vehicle 42 days ago and just got word from the Ford rep it just went into production. Most auto plants will pump out about 1000 cars or more per day. You mean to tell me there were literally 42,000 vehicles ahead of me in the queue?

YES, They sold in 2012 158,344 explorers and they build the ford Taurus and Lincoln MKS chi-town also.

Welcome Motoarzan

Yes, I understand the build sequence I work onsite in various auto plants in Ontario and that's generally how it's done. However; I heard that because of the backlog of pre-orders and the sport being unique that they were doing batch builds on the sport until "all" the trims were up to speed, matching demand and dealers had a healthy inventory on the lots of all trims.

I ordered my Vehicle 42 days ago and just got word from the Ford rep it just went into production. Most auto plants will pump out about 1000 cars or more per day. You mean to tell me there were literally 42,000 vehicles ahead of me in the queue?

Yay! Fantastic news, johnnybravo; don't forget to post pictures so we can check out your new Explorer. :)

Crystal

It is here! Waldorf Ford MD was kind enough to deliver the car to me. Overall a great experience with them. Dustin in particular is a standout of the team that assisted me through the process.

Only issue is my headlight has a small crack in it. I'll contact them tomorrow to see what are the next steps.

Either way, nice to have the car here and we are getting used to the Mytouch. Not sure why everyone seems to believe it is so hard to use - I found it intuitive. The power and handling is pretty impressive for a car this size - been so long since my test drive that I have forgotten.

Hope everyone gets their car soon!

Congrats Johnny!. Glad to see another Virginian getting theirs. I am still waiting for mine to be built. Once that light gets repaired, would love to see a picture!

I ordered my Sport on 8/9 and they gave me a build date of 9/9 so the week after you Motoarzan. I have the VIN just waiting to be able to get my window sticker. I hope we don't run into delays getting our vehicles.

I ordered my Sport on 8/9 and they gave me a build date of 9/9 so the week after you Motoarzan. I have the VIN just waiting to be able to get my window sticker. I hope we don't run into delays getting our vehicles.

My vehicle is in production right now as we speak and then I assume a few weeks to ship to Ontario. Can't wait. I got my husky floor Mats. Sharkfin Antenna, LED Interior Bulbs & Proclip Phone Bracket all sitting here waiting with me. Also ordering my Coolbulbs HID kit today and reviewing some wheels for a dedicated winter tire package. Then I'll be all set.

Back