Water Leak | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why should someone need to do this
I think most dealers have not been taking down the headliner to see where the water is actually penetrating the roof so their fixes are sometimes just guesses. It is unfortunate that the owner has to do the so called 'trouble shooting' in order to get it repaired.

And YES, there has been a report of a 2014 model with the leak.

I have a 2011 and have not had this issue....yet.;)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, this is the most disturbing issue thread I've read in preparation for ordering a 2014. Hard to believe that some of the Explorers are leaking in this way!

Can anyone confirm - is this exclusive to the moonroof units, or does it affect solid roof units as well?

A check of past logs shows that the roof leak is not exclusive to the dual pan moon roof. Apparently, the leak develops from bad roof seams and/or roof rail attachment points. With over a quarter million new generation Explorers sold I’d like to know how many have this leak problem.

I have "so far" not had any issues with my Explorer yet, and I have a 2013 Limited with the dual moon roof. I have 15000 miles on it and drive it all day, rain or shine.
Speaking of shine, I have noticed with this moon roof, the sun doesn't beat down on you nearly as bad as my 2002 Explorer did. I say order with the moon roof, it just feels more open and the kids love it more than I would have ever guessed.
I'm just hoping that I never have any issues with this vehicle. My wife and I love this vehicle.

YES!

Now, about the leak:

I think some basic trouble shooting is in order here. Sequentially tape off potential sources, ie the roof rail attach points, the body seams, the entire rear hatch itself and others as needed. Leave one or more of these candidates unprotected, then apply water liberally. Repeat until the source is found.

... or am I over simplifying the process?

ps: no spell checker used in this post.

I thought it was Haiku....

Why should someone need to do this

Why not?

From what I've read here so far, cars are taken into a dealers who individually attempt to find and fix the problem. No TSB from Ford, and no repository available for steps taken with results except what little gets posted here. So far there's been little success which leads one to believe the leak problem is harder to troubleshoot than it may seem at first glance.

So, for a total effort of maybe 30 minutes with a roll of tape and a garden hose, one could possibly find the leak source. Yes, this could be time wasted but maybe not. And if not, just how valuable would the findings be when posted here?

...leads one to believe the leak problem is harder to troubleshoot than it may seem at first glance.

Sure ya didn't mean 'seam'?

As frustrated as I'd be with a leaking new car, I'd much rather just find the leak myself in an hour than fight with some fool at a dealer.

If anyone's in south east VA with a leaker I'd be happy to help... Heck I'll even bet ya a six pack I can find it:D

Sure ya didn't mean 'seam'?

��

As frustrated as I'd be with a leaking new car, I'd much rather just find the leak myself in an hour than fight with some fool at a dealer.

If anyone's in south east VA with a leaker I'd be happy to help... Heck I'll even bet ya a six pack I can find it:D

Yah, really! Its almost bizarre to me that a body seam would leak, but I guess they can - at least these new ones can.

Yah, really! Its almost bizarre to me that a body seam would leak, but I guess they can - at least these new ones can.

Thing to remember is that statistically very few do leak. I was at the dealer with a friend the other day and felt 10+, not one wet and it had rained pretty hard the day before. Not to say that some don't leak, just that it's no where near as common as this thread leads you to believe.

None should be leaking!!!

I complete agree with this statement. Ford should take this seriously even if it is a low percentage of overall production. I'd be interested in knowing what Ford has actually done around investigating what is occuring with the leaks. Have they taken the lemons back, tore them down and found a production or materials issue? Why aren't dealers aware of this? I am a Ford loyalist through and through and I will say it disappoints me to see that there is an issue that Ford hasn't aggressively moved to fix. If I'm incorrect on that last statement regarding Ford please show me otherwise. I'm still a Ford fan and also bought a new 2013 F150 FX4 1 month after I bought the Explorer so I'm pro-Ford but I am disappointed with the communications on this issue to Explorer owners and dealers thus far. So far I've not had the leak or other issues but if they develop I will not be happy if I get the run around from Ford.

Thing to remember is that statistically very few do leak. I was at the dealer with a friend the other day and felt 10+, not one wet and it had rained pretty hard the day before. Not to say that some don't leak, just that it's no where near as common as this thread leads you to believe.

I believe some are not leaking right away as my last leak didn't happen for almost a year after the previous fix in a different spot. Probably is some flexing going on and the welds are cracking and then leaking, and the stuff they put in the crack to fill it looks like nothing more than soft goopy roofing tar, it's terrible.

None should be leaking!!!

+1

I wonder what the failure rate is?

per # vehicles produced
miles in service
years in service
year model
etc...

Presumably a very low number, but if the problem does pop up, it severely handicaps the car - almost useless. Ford does need to find and fix the problem.

re roof leaking and flex

I believe some are not leaking right away as my last leak didn't happen for almost a year after the previous fix in a different spot. Probably is some flexing going on and the welds are cracking and then leaking, and the stuff they put in the crack to fill it looks like nothing more than soft goopy roofing tar, it's terrible.

I washed my 2012 exp last week on the lawn under a tree .I opened rear litfgate by power to dry all areas .Upon closing door would not close as vehicle was not sitting level Front was 10 to 15 inches higher than rear I tried 3 times and it would not close .After moving car on a level area it closed SO IT HAS SOME FLEX LIFTGATE IS FINE ON LEVEL I HAVE HAD NO LEAKS AND DO NOT WANT ANY

+1

I wonder what the failure rate is?

per # vehicles produced
miles in service
years in service
year model
etc...

Presumably a very low number, but if the problem does pop up, it severely handicaps the car - almost useless. Ford does need to find and fix the problem.

You must remember not everyone will report to this site. We are the frustrated few that seek out info when the Dealer does not seem to have a clue on fixing .

I found out it was a seem issue and told my dealer the second time they had to remove roof and reseal body to roof . SHOULD NOT HAPPEN .It has been fixed but have had other issues like air conditioning blowin on driver even when it is set to 85 degrees and heat blowing on other side. or The defroster blowing cold insted of warm makes it hard to see out LOL.
Now warranty has expired

This was my first Ford ever and will probably be my last :mad:

I have had a seat frame replaced
,armrest split
,roof leaks ,
And had to replace rear brakes at 37,000 miles because of cracked pads even though there was 70% left on brake pad.

leaking moon roof 2013

Leaking moon roof on 2013 xlt explorer. The dealer is trying but I would like to drive more than back an forth to the dealer. Water leaks at the map lights and indangers mft . Dealer thinks leak is in the rear. Only leaks during hard rain. Not in carwash.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Leaking moon roof on 2013 xlt explorer. The dealer is trying but I would like to drive more than back an forth to the dealer. Water leaks at the map lights and indangers mft . Dealer thinks leak is in the rear. Only leaks during hard rain. Not in carwash.
Welcome to the Forum Shuvelhead.:wavey:
As mentioned in my PM, I have moved your post to this thread. There are many posts here about water leaks so you are definitely not alone with this issue. Unfortunately, successful repairs have been few.
Good luck.

Peter

Back