A4ld Explorer 1992 Front Leak

RGDEMIGUEL

Reaction score
City, State
Madrid, Spain, Europe
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer XLT '98 4.0 SOHC
Hi guys,

I'm the owner of an Explorer 92 with 185000Km now in Madrid, Spain.
A few weeks ago I noticed a big leak between the bellhousing and the engine(about 1 litre atf leak) while driving on a mountain road uphill. The day after I refilled and I drived to my house downhill without leaking.
I have been reading in this forum and others about this problem and I think the front seal is gone. Although I have read some threads about A4ld transmissions leak, I have some questions...
I'm not an expert but I like to fix my own cars as far as I can. Here, in Spain(Madrid) there are a few Ford Explorers and automatic transmissions a not so popular as in the USA.
So, the idea is do it by myself having all the details and the necesary tools.
I would apreciate a lot your advice and indications to help me to fix my trans problem and to increase my poor knoledge about automatic transmisions.
Here are my questions for you:
I have read part of the threat "my A4ld transmission diary" and I have an idea of what I have to do to change the front seal,and to remove the bushing(on the bellhousing), but I do not know how can I install correctly the new bushing and pump aligment.
I have whached a video youtube "4R44E Pump Alignment Without Spcial Tool" where you can see how a pump is aligned without any special tool. What do you think about? Is it possible on a 92 a4ld?
About the new busshing installation, do I need any specific tool to install it correctly? I have read something about "bushing machined", what does it mean exactly?

I would like to start droping(pulling) the transmission in the coming weeks-days. If you have any recommendation...I will also apreciate it.

I love this american car that I use on weekends and holidays.
Sorry about my english level, too long ago since I was in the USA studying english.

Thank you all for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds as though the leak is resulting from a failed front seal. Replacement requires removal of the transmission, removal of the torque converter, then removal of the failed seal. Beyond that, I can be of no help, as I have heard of special "alignment tools, etc. imp

Hi IMP,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, special tool is necessary if the pump is removed.That is what I have read in lot of threads. I also have read that changing just the seal will not fix the leak problem. The bellhousing bushing has to be changed also, and to do this the pump has to be removed. To remove and insert the new bushing and seal I think I can do it with a seal driver kit or a jack. Do you know anyone that has repair these to parts?

Hi IMP,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, special tool is necessary if the pump is removed.That is what I have read in lot of threads. I also have read that changing just the seal will not fix the leak problem. The bellhousing bushing has to be changed also, and to do this the pump has to be removed. To remove and insert the new bushing and seal I think I can do it with a seal driver kit or a jack. Do you know anyone that has repair these to parts?

Sorry I can be of no further help. A repair manual is needed to determine answers to these questions. imp

Do you think the procedure use on this video
"4R44E Pump Alignment Without Spcial Tool" would fit for an A4LD of a Ford Explorer 1992? If so, I would not need the famous pump alingnment tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-L71-udS_g

Do you think the procedure use on this video
"4R44E Pump Alignment Without Spcial Tool" would fit for an A4LD of a Ford Explorer 1992? If so, I would not need the famous pump alingnment tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-L71-udS_g

He is using the hub on the torque converter in place of the special tool. I see no reason why this method should not work; however, I have no way of knowing if the A4LD is built similarly to 4R44E. This you would have to determine by looking at the parts.

Most important fact in the video is that the torque converter be held high enough off the benchtop to allow the bell housing to rest on the converter and not on the bench. Looked like a large coffee can would work under the converter. imp

That's what I assumed. I just wanted someone else opinion. Thanks IMP.
I will start pulling down the transmission.
Any recommendation to buy a good and complete rebuild kit on the Internet? For the moment I have been searching on Ebay and I have found a couple of them...

That's what I assumed. I just wanted someone else opinion. Thanks IMP.
I will start pulling down the transmission.
Any recommendation to buy a good and complete rebuild kit on the Internet? For the moment I have been searching on Ebay and I have found a couple of them...

Sorry, I cannot make a personal recommendation about buying, but can say the sellers on ebay seem vitally concerned with keeping very high + feedback. The car parts I have bout there have worked out well: wheel bearings, hub, rotors, ball joints. imp

If the seal has not leaked since you had the problem that one day, you might not have to worry about changing it. On one of my 1994 Explorers I overheated the transmission badly and all the transmission fluid came out of the front seal. Later I refilled the transmission with fluid and it has not leaked ever since. That was 45,000 miles ago. I suppose the seal slipped back into place on its own after the transmission cooled down.

Your seal might be okay as long as you keep the transmission cool. An auxiliary transmission cooler will help a lot and it is not very expensive or hard to install.

Back