05 Exporer XLT couple problems and questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 Exporer XLT couple problems and questions

Reaction score
City, State
Dewey, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Exporer XLT 4x2 4.0 V6
OK so some vehicle history. 2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4x2 4.0 V6 not mod.
Just bought used 8/29/13
127,x.. miles sunroof, 2 row seating, 6 disc and yakity yak.

Ok so down to my few questions.

On these rainy days that are coming back as AZ monsoons, it has gotten to be a down poor at times. my one problem is that when we (wife and kids) are going down the road and its raining, a leak of some-sort will develope and let water in draining down the bracket of the passenger sun visor. I have noticed that the driver side same area has some noticable water stains from previous times and at some point in time they put silicone on the water channel next to the windshield. (Do i need to do the same on passenger side?) or is there a drain tube from the sunroof that is clogged. I have read in the 2nd gen that this is a common prob and the rain water drainage rail that goes to the windshield was a part of the problem and the windshield seal was the problem. So all in all, with the rain water... Where do I start?

NEXT

When i am driving highway speeds 25+mph there is a "humming, or tire rubbing plastic lightly sound" coming from somewhere. I thing its coming from below, wife says from the back. The used car dealer said it might be a wheel baring on one of the back tires. Ture/False? Help?

NEXT

TMPS and ADVTRAC dummy lights are coming on and not working correctly as far as i know. I have checked the tire pressure and all is above 35psi, but have seen that the TPMS is a common dummy light to come on. As for the ADVTRAC what is going on there? How do these get fixed? Please help as I am low on money.

NEXT

Is there anyone else having paint loss and rust issues in the drain rails on the sides and center or the roof?

Thanks to all that can help in advance. Hopefully this can help others also. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UPDATE
Ok, so I found the cause of the leak. It was the drain tube that was disconnected. The getting to it was pretty straight forward. If a step by step is wanted I can write that up in a separate post.

anyone? 105 viewers, someone mast have a simular problem or help with my current post.

When i am driving highway speeds 25+mph there is a "humming, or tire rubbing plastic lightly sound" coming from somewhere. I thing its coming from below, wife says from the back. The used car dealer said it might be a wheel baring on one of the back tires. Ture/False? Help?

Probably true about the wheel bearing. I've replaced all mine on my '02 Mountie. Find a sharp road curve somewhere that you know the vehicle weight will shift when you go through it at a decent but safe speed. If the noise goes away or lessens when steering left, it indicates that it's the bearing on the left (because the weight of the vehicle shifts off the left wheel bearing and get quieter). Turn vehicle around take the same curve to the right and vice versa. If there's no change in the sound in either case, it's probably not either of the wheel bearings.

Regarding the paint thing...yes, roof paint on my black mounty started peeling before the body warranty was up. At about 150k, it started to peel just about everywhere, especially at the outer corners of the roof.

Also regarding the roof rusting, mine is HORRIBLE. I never realized it until it was past the warranty. I still tried at Ford, but that was obviously a no go.

I've checked repair places, and most common price is $1000 for a good job, not a maaco $250 job that will need to be re-done 3 months later.

I've tried to spray with rust be gone but that yielded no results, the rust is just too far to stop. Good luck!!

I will try the cornering, the truck is to go into the ford dealer on the note of the used car dealer. That should take care of the hard problems. The traction control light is on but no codes can be pulled. The button is functional but i guess ford will find what's up with it. I will keep you updated as i know the diagnoses.

I just got a '05 XLT with 105k miles and the roof has got some serious rust....no butt crack though someone looks like they applied house paint to the back hatch.

Mine also has the road noise, but can't isolate it to either front/back, left/right.

All ford trucks will clunk. Lol. Ok. House paint?! Dear god man. Lol and where is this notorious crack in the back hatch? I don't have one.. How well is The house paint holding up? Might put that on the top, it couldn't be any worse than the rust. Ha ha ok, it to early Im done.

and where is this notorious crack in the back hatch? I don't have one..

52d7ab58-668c-102f-bffb-bccabd56764er.jpg

Wow, that is a crack. I don't have that, thank goodness, knock on wood. How hard is it to replace the plastic? And also i have heard of a lot of others having the same problem. Where are you guys located? I am in Arizona and no crack.

Back