List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have this same problem on my 2011. Bubbling paint. But I'm W A Y out of the warranty period with over 86,000 miles. Can FORD still assist me?

I have this same problem on my 2011. Bubbling paint. But I'm W A Y out of the warranty period with over 86,000 miles. Can FORD still assist me?

Hi Bill #4 Explorer,

Your dealership's service manager is in the best position to determine whether or not a repair can be made under warranty. Additionally, I recommend checking out the Warranty Guide for your Explorer; you can download a free copy of it here: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

Crystal

Completely unhappy with how Ford is handling this!

After two months of talking to dealership managers and Ford Customer Service reps, there is still no resolution to this issue.

When I spoke with the dealership managers (two different dealerships) I was given estimates between $400 - 500. When I got estimates directly from the paint & body shops that do the work for these dealerships, I was given estimates of $305 and $465. I chalked the difference up to dealership up-charges. :dunno:

When I finally received a call from Ford Customer Care, the rep told me that he represented one of the dealerships and that Ford has approved $696 for the repair.

I thought, "that's great."

He then told me that I would be responsible for $300 of the repair. The dealership manager quoted them $996!

I told the rep this, and said it sounds like either dealership or Ford is inflating the price to make it seem like I am getting assistance, when in reality I am still footing the bill. He said he understands but that is the offer.

My case has since been passed to multiple service reps, all of whom seem to get "approval for partial assistance" but nobody seems to be able to get me in touch with someone who can get the repair done. :mad:

My vehicle is two years old! There is no reason the paint should be coming off from corrosion.

I find the way Ford is handling this to be completely unacceptable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

...My case has since been passed to multiple service reps, all of whom seem to get "approval for partial assistance" but nobody seems to be able to get me in touch with someone who can get the repair done...

Hi powderhound77,

I'm happy to arrange for a follow-up call from your regional customer service manager. Send me a PM with your current mileage and verify your best daytime contact information; I'll get to work on this.

Crystal

Paint bubbling and chipping - Ford won't cover

I have a 2011 black Limited and along the entire front of my hood right where you would reach your hand under to pop the hood the painting is starting to bubble and chip to the point where you can see the metal. This is not the greatest photo but it shows the issue. Please excuse the water spots as I was getting ready to wash it.

892914_10101121816233401_434886169_o.jpg

I took it to the shop to get the Sync updated, A-Pillar rattle, 50K mile maintenance done along with the paint checked out. I guess I should also state that I bought the extended 75K mile premium warranty.I just got the call from the dealership saying Ford has denied any warranty work stating that the paint has to be corroded or rusted through for them to cover anything. On top of that they of course said there is nothing they can do with the rattle noise from the A-pillar.

It sucks pretty bad knowing I can spend $40K on a car and 2 years later the paint gets messed up do to no fault of my own and Ford won't fix the issue. I've always owned a Ford - 92 Ranger, 95 Contour, 96 Taurus, 11 Explorer and a 12 Fusion.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions on what I should do next? Should I just give up and let it rust and look like crap? :mad:
[/rant]

I have a 2011 black Limited and along the entire front of my hood right where you would reach your hand under to pop the hood the painting is starting to bubble and chip to the point where you can see the metal. This is not the greatest photo but it shows the issue. Please excuse the water spots as I was getting ready to wash it.

I took it to the shop to get the Sync updated, A-Pillar rattle, 50K mile maintenance done along with the paint checked out. I guess I should also state that I bought the extended 75K mile premium warranty.I just got the call from the dealership saying Ford has denied any warranty work stating that the paint has to be corroded or rusted through for them to cover anything. On top of that they of course said there is nothing they can do with the rattle noise from the A-pillar.

It sucks pretty bad knowing I can spend $40K on a car and 2 years later the paint gets messed up do to no fault of my own and Ford won't fix the issue. I've always owned a Ford - 92 Ranger, 95 Contour, 96 Taurus, 11 Explorer and a 12 Fusion.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions on what I should do next? Should I just give up and let it rust and look like crap? :mad:
[/rant]
The only thing I can suggest is that you send a private message to Crystal (FordService) providing the info she requested in the post #37 above. Not saying it will be resolved to your satisfaction but that is about all you can do. If the repair is still refused then it will be up to you to look after it. As for the 'A' pillar rattle, the cost of that fix would be yours to cover if they decide to repair it. A TSB repair is only done without cost while the vehicle is under the factory warranty regardless of whether you have the ESP or not.
Good luck.

Peter

I had similar bubbling on the hood of my '11 and it was repaired under warranty. Dealer took pictures, submitted it to Ford, and got it fixed.

As Peter said, contact Crystal, the Ford Service Rep on the board and see what she can do for you.

The only thing I can suggest is that you send a private message to Crystal (FordService) providing the info she requested in the post #37 above. Not saying it will be resolved to your satisfaction but that is about all you can do. If the repair is still refused then it will be up to you to look after it. As for the 'A' pillar rattle, the cost of that fix would be yours to cover if they decide to repair it. A TSB repair is only done without cost while the vehicle is under the factory warranty regardless of whether you have the ESP or not.
Good luck.

Peter

A premium ESP would cover the A-pillar repair subject to the deductible of course. Mine is being fixed as I speak under my ESP. Passenger side is rattling once I hit 70mph.

I posted over a year ago about my 2011 Limited. Along the front of the hood I had multiple bubbles/ chips. It was also under the hood near the gasket. I brought it in, they took photos, Ford approved it and it was repainted. Well, a few months ago we noticed it happening again. Exactly the same type of bubbling. Brought it in... and for the second time Ford repainted my entire hood under warranty. The body shop manager said there was a TSB on this and they used a different method which should help paint adhesion. I did not get a receipt so I do not know the TSB #.

I posted over a year ago about my 2011 Limited. Along the front of the hood I had multiple bubbles/ chips. It was also under the hood near the gasket. I brought it in, they took photos, Ford approved it and it was repainted. Well, a few months ago we noticed it happening again. Exactly the same type of bubbling. Brought it in... and for the second time Ford repainted my entire hood under warranty. The body shop manager said there was a TSB on this and they used a different method which should help paint adhesion. I did not get a receipt so I do not know the TSB #.

Any chance you can help me find this TSB? I am having the same problem with my 2011. Maybe send me a PM, too. Thanks, much!:)

Glad yours was fixed by Ford.

Just called my dealer. He said it was not an actual TSB but was updated instructions in their repair manual since the first time they painted it. He is e-mailing me the sheet and I will forward it to you.

Just called my dealer. He said it was not an actual TSB but was updated instructions in their repair manual since the first time they painted it. He is e-mailing me the sheet and I will forward it to you.

Thank you.

Well I contacted Ford customer service about the paint and they just said it wasn't covered under under the premium care extended warranty and basically I am just crap out of luck.

Well I contacted Ford customer service about the paint and they just said it wasn't covered under under the premium care extended warranty and basically I am just crap out of luck.

Ford is customer service has been terrible on this issue. This is a known problem to them, so they should at least agree to repair the vehicles affected by their painting process.

We may just have to keep an eye on the class action suit and see if any judgement can set a precedence for later model vehicles.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/201...inum-corrosion-in-fords-to-move-forward/?_r=0

Just took my tux. Black base 2012 to the dealer for bubbling paint on leading edge of hood. Looks to me that the aluminum has oxidized at this point.
Got the Explorer new in Nov. '11. 33xxx miles on the odometer. I should hear this week what Ford will/will not do about this. I'm hoping they will repaint the entire hood since i anticipate other areas on the hood failing also.

Just took my tux. Black base 2012 to the dealer for bubbling paint on leading edge of hood. Looks to me that the aluminum has oxidized at this point.
Got the Explorer new in Nov. '11. 33xxx miles on the odometer. I should hear this week what Ford will/will not do about this. I'm hoping they will repaint the entire hood since i anticipate other areas on the hood failing also.

Have you received any news from your dealership, toms2012? Keep us posted, and feel free to shoot a PM my way if you'd like me to step in. Include your name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership information in your message and I'll get to work.

Crystal

I have not heard from the local dealership yet. Thought i would give them a couple days as they said pictures must be sent to someone at Ford who makes decisions on paint issues. They took several pictures of all sides of vehicle and close-ups of affected area.

Thanks for checking with me on this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford has agreed to repair my hood under warranty. I don't know if this will be a total strip and paint or spot repair.

Back