2001 Explorer Sport v6 to v8 swap PATS problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport v6 to v8 swap PATS problem

madmacks

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mustang
I have a 2001 Explorer Sport that I recently swapped motors with a 1998 302 GT40. I have swapped the PCM but now I have ran across PATS system issues. I think...I have the complete steering column from the vehicle I got the v8 out of and was wondering if I swap the columns completely wold that fix the PATS issue? The anti theft light flashes 1:6 so I know there is communication issues. Or should I just bite the bullet and have it taken to the dealer to flash it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

which key?

Which key are you using in the ignition? The V8 PCM will be looking for the V8 key and will not recognize the V6 key. If you haven't swapped the ignition cylinder you might try taping the V8 key near the PATS key pickup and see if the vehicle will start with the V6 key in the ignition. Does the Theft light flash rapidly when you try to start?

I have changed out cylinders and keys neither worked. The theft lights does go to constant flashing after trying to start. No power to starter or fuel pump. Was told to have it flashed by friends but I don't want to spend the money to send it in if I don't have to.

What is the build date of your 2001 Sport? The 2001 Sport/Sport Tracs had a early and late 2001 build, the early had Pats B, but all late 2001 had Pats E which is not compatible with Pats B. You would not need to swap columns, but you would need the ignition tumbler, Pats Transceiver, Pats Key, Pats Module, and the wiring between them from the Explorer to wire correctly into your Sport.

Also if your Sport is a late 2001 there is a wire coming from the starter relay that was grounded by the 4.0 PCM for Pats E, it goes through the C110 connector Pin 28 it is Dark Blue/Orange. That wire will need grounded for the V8 swap otherwise your starter will not even crank.

Have you done any wiring yet to your Sport? I also have a 2001 Sport, and I have all the wiring diagrams, connector views, and notes for a V8 swap. If you need any help feel free to ask, I recently helped a friend online to swap a 5.0 in his 2001 Sport Trac, and it's running fine.

If your theft light still flashes after the swap sounds like you may have a early 2001 Sport if so then your in luck. If it were a late 2001 and you did this swap the Theft Light wouldn't flash at all, because for Pats E the PCM supplies the ground for the Theft Light.

This is what you would need to do then, you need the ignition cylinder, keys from the Explorer, you also need to swap the Pats Module. It is located behind the passenger air bag there you will see the Pats Module you will need to swap out yours for the one in the Explorer that should allow the engine to crank over, and fire.

I misinformed you, the date in the door jam is 2/00. I read from the hood previously and not the door, duh. Going to try and see if I can swap the Pats module. Will let you know if this works. Thanks for your help so far. I have been about ready to pull my hair out with this!

Then your Sport is a early 2001 your in luck, you don't have to rewire your Pats system, simply just swap the Pats Module behind the passenger air bag.

There may be a few more wires though you will have to deal with under the hood, is your Sport a 2WD or 4WD model?

Its a 2WD. I looked on the wire harness for the V8 PATS but I do not have one that I can tell. Did not receive the donor as a full vehicle just the motor, tranny, and all wiring as well as the steering column. Do you have to remove the airbag to get to the PATS module? I appreciate the help alot.

Yes the Pats B module is located behind the passenger airbag, its a small black box, it should look like this below.

Resampled_2012-03-23_08-44-12_9631.jpg

If you don't have the one from the Explorer that you got the motor,trans,wiring from, then your best bet is to reinstall your Sport's ignition cylinder and key, and take it to Ford and have them program your Sport's original keys to work with the Explorer PCM.

If you can get the one from the Explorer that the PCM, engine, trans, is from then you won't need any reprogramming.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I was ready to give up. Will pack the old girl up and take her to the dealer. This electronic crap is for the birds!

Yeah Pats can be a pain, but if you reinstall your original Sport ignition cylinder and keys, and let Ford program them to the Explorer PCM, you should be good to go.

When you installed the Explorer 5.0 did you use the Sport's alternator/battery harness or the Explorer one? They are a bit different from one another. The AC high pressure switch, oil pressure switch, and charge indicator runs through the Sport harness, but is different on the Explorer. The wires/circuits that do match may also be in different pins from the C125 to C139 connector as well.

'02 trac 5.0 swap

hi. i have a '02 trac that i'm swapping a 5.0/4r7w into from a '00 mounty,i need help with pats and general wiring. any help is welcome. my build date is 09/01. yeah i know, job 2. i'm trying to keep from buying sct tuner to deal with pats in my swap.:thumbsup:

What is the build date of your 2001 Sport? The 2001 Sport/Sport Tracs had a early and late 2001 build, the early had Pats B, but all late 2001 had Pats E which is not compatible with Pats B. You would not need to swap columns, but you would need the ignition tumbler, Pats Transceiver, Pats Key, Pats Module, and the wiring between them from the Explorer to wire correctly into your Sport.

Also if your Sport is a late 2001 there is a wire coming from the starter relay that was grounded by the 4.0 PCM for Pats E, it goes through the C110 connector Pin 28 it is Dark Blue/Orange. That wire will need grounded for the V8 swap otherwise your starter will not even crank.

Have you done any wiring yet to your Sport? I also have a 2001 Sport, and I have all the wiring diagrams, connector views, and notes for a V8 swap. If you need any help feel free to ask, I recently helped a friend online to swap a 5.0 in his 2001 Sport Trac, and it's running fine.

Do you still got the wiring diagram for this? I got an 01 sport trac with a 98 explorer 5.0 as a diner, I have swap the engine but need to figure the 42 pin connector

What? This thread is 3+ years old
Swapping 98 5.0L into a 01 Sport trac is not terrible, there is not much wiring to do
You will need the PATS PCM and transceiver from the 98 donor
You may try using the search button some more or even try starting your own thread!

did any one have trouble with the alternater charging i know where the yellow and white go but where does the green and red go its surpost to have one volt with key off it has none

does any one have a digram to wire in the transduser for speedo

Back