Controls in motion and IOS in the car | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Controls in motion and IOS in the car

Jerky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
First - Will Ford ever do an update that gives drivers the option to have full control of the Sync/MyFord Touch system while in motion? Since the Sync system is still glitchy and slow to respond, I find it easier and faster to type what i need rather than talking into it. I'll end up using my phone just because it is faster and more accurate.

Secondly - (This is a big if) IOS in the car should be out in 2014. What is the chance of being able to connect in a Ford? I understand there is the Microsoft/Apple clash. It would be a nice option though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never happen as long as it is federally mandated to be locked out when in motion.

Never happen as long as it is federally mandated to be locked out when in motion.

And for good reasons! The laws are there to protect the innocent people that are injured or killed by those drivers who believe that they have superior abilities and/or reaction times than the rest of us.

As a disclaimer, operating with video in motion should only be done, off highway. For off-road use only...

Please don't put iOS in the car Ford....

One has to understand that these control lockouts and safety devices are federally mandated and if it is discovered that a federally mandated device of safety item is compromised or bypassed can lead to serious consequences to include 6 digit fines and lengthy jail terms. If say you get in a accident, most states will impound you car to do the investigation. If it is found that you disabled the control lock out, and was distracted doing something and caused an accident you are in for hard times!

I know there is a very slim chance of you getting caught BUT there are many ways that the cat can be let out of the bag!

Just like the TV show "Pimp my ride" was heavily fined for installing a video screen in a steering wheel and dashboard after removing the airbags in a few vehicles that was aired on national TV.

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/2004/12/31/Feds-say-Pay-My-Fine-to-Pimp-My-Ride/UPI-42281104512725/

Just something to think about!

I believe Ford is coming out with a function that essentially makes the in dash screen act as a remote slave display and input device for you ipad or iphone. So, there is not need to have iOS installed on the car and no conflict with Microsoft. Your iphone or ipad would be connected via bluetooth and car screen simply displays what's on the phone therefore you essentially have all your iOS email, apps, and everything on the bigger car screen.
Can be done for Android, WinPhone8, BB10 as well.

I believe Ford is coming out with a function that essentially makes the in dash screen act as a remote slave display and input device for you ipad or iphone. So, there is not need to have iOS installed on the car and no conflict with Microsoft. Your iphone or ipad would be connected via bluetooth and car screen simply displays what's on the phone therefore you essentially have all your iOS email, apps, and everything on the bigger car screen.

That is the ideal solution in my opinion.

Sounds well and good if you have that type of phone. And if you don't have a smartphone or don't have it with you, what then?

Peter

Thread Moved

Moving thread to the IVT forum.

Peter

Sounds well and good if you have that type of phone. And if you don't have a smartphone or don't have it with you, what then?

Peter

It would behave just as it does today when your phone isn't connected.

There's technology already out there called mirror link that is Android specific that will mimic the phones display (for certain applications) and allow the head unit to control that application.

I would love to see something that is phone OS agnostic so it will be open to all brands.

So how does Gamin get away with it?
Correct me if I'm wrong, But isn't Garmin a portable device? If it was a factory installed navigation feature it would also fall under the same regulations as the Ford navigation system does.

Peter

They are considered personal navigation items and are not governed by the DOT or NHTSA. They only legislate items that are a permanent part of the vehicle.

They should at least be setup with a pressure switch for the passenger seat, so that in the event there is a passenger they can operate the locked out functions (not including video maybe).

A passenger should be able to key in Nav destinations, change other settings, etc.

They should at least be setup with a pressure switch for the passenger seat, so that in the event there is a passenger they can operate the locked out functions (not including video maybe).

A passenger should be able to key in Nav destinations, change other settings, etc.
While that may sound like a good idea (there already is a sensor for the airbag), it really is not. A lone occupant could then simply put an item with the required weight on the passenger seat and operate the navigation system themselves.
I have set a navigation destination while driving simply using voice commands.

Peter

I'd like to see a copy of this so called mandate. I call BS. If there is any such mandate it's surely for "video while in motion". This is the first vehicle I have ever had that didn't allow for destination entry while in motion.

On top of that they are inconsistent w/ their implementation of the lockout. You can enter a phone number using the number pad on the screen while in motion, but you can not search for a destination by phone number using the same number pad while in motion.

They went a little overboard, destination entry and waypoint lookups by my wife while we are on trips has always been really useful.

Just like the TV show "Pimp my ride" was heavily fined for installing a video screen in a steering wheel and dashboard after removing the airbags in a few vehicles that was aired on national TV.

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/2004/12/31/Feds-say-Pay-My-Fine-to-Pimp-My-Ride/UPI-42281104512725/

Just something to think about!

They didn't get fined for installing the video screen, they got fined for removing the air bag. This doesn't apply to this conversation at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And for good reasons! The laws are there to protect the innocent people that are injured or killed by those drivers who believe that they have superior abilities and/or reaction times than the rest of us.

The laws apply to video, not to destination entry. Every other manufacturer out there lets you put in a destination while you're driving.

Back