Name these two features? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Name these two features?

molakai

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer LTD
Hi all,

I'm soon to be a new owner of a 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Can't wait.

I do have two quick questions, I've also attached a picture to help with them.

VojsXLR.jpg

#1 - What is/are the sensor(s) in the fender (near the wheel) for?

#2 - There's some type of vent on the left side of the front bumper. What's it for?

I can't say I've seen either on other Explorers I looked at.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The vent under the bumper is for a cooling duct. You have a limited with towing and that duct moves cool air to the back of the engine and transmission on vehicles equipped with the Tow pkg. And I think the sensors are for the Cross Traffic Alert system. I do not have a limited so I do not have that option on my Ex.

Cool, I have an XLT with Tow package and I have that as well.

Hi all,

I'm soon to be a new owner of a 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Can't wait.

I do have two quick questions, I've also attached a picture to help with them.

VojsXLR.jpg

#1 - What is/are the sensor(s) in the fender (near the wheel) for?

I can't say I've seen either on other Explorers I looked at.

Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum molakai. :wavey:
That sensor is part of the Active Park Assist system which is available only on the Limited.

Peter

Do you know what option package your car has?
The sensor looks like its for Park Assist.

This is for a 2012 Limited:

Rapid Spec Package 301A
Third row seats: power-folding; Perforated Leather-Trimmed Seats; Driver front seat heated, ventilated and climate-controlled, front passenger seat front seat heated, ventilated and climate-controlled with 10-way power power height, power lumbar and power tilt; Includes: [61N] Voice-Activated Navigation System And [18P] Power Liftgate

Rapid Spec 302A
Parking assistance: Fully automatic for rear parking; Adaptive cruise control; Collision warning systemfeatures: brake assist; Intermittent rain sensor; Headlights: Bi-Xenon with projector beam lenses; Includes: [301A]
Rapid Spec Package 301A

Rapid Spec Package 303A-

Transmission: automatic; Front and rear 245/50-; 3.510:1 axle ratio; Includes: [302A] Rapid Spec 302A; Excludes: [642] 20" Polished Aluminum Wheels

Hey guys, appreciate the help. I'm looking forward to being part of this community.

I haven't received the vehicle yet so I'm not sure what option(s) I have, but that's exciting to hear it's the tow package & active park assist. I remember trying to test drive a Limited with APA but there was something missing on the vehicle and we weren't able to try it at the time.

So would it be safe to assume I have 302A if I have APA with a 2012 Limited?

Bryceb, that's a heck of a time-saver. Wish I knew about that before, cheers.

Turns out I do have the 302A package.

Thank you everyone for your help, greatly appreciated!

That little air duct is there to cool the "back" side of the engine area between the block and the firewall. The engine is transverse mounted on these. The little duct has to come off to change the oil. There are 3 thumbscrews that need a twist to release the duct.

Back