• Register Today It's free!

Rear back-up Sensors.

timd1982

Reaction score
City, State
Born-Wilmington, NC Currently Minot AFB, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
13' Ford Explorer Limited
Hello, I have a 2013 Limited with the trailer tow and rear back-up sensors.. I have noticed alot of times a red box shows up when backing, but nothing is in the way. I looked at the sensors and the two in the middle on both sides of the hitch area are angled in towards the middle.. I have looked at other explorers and noticed that theres are flat and smooth not angled..but I dunno if they have trailer tow or if mine are just messed up.. I have had it for two weeks and havent hit anything..just wondering.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No tow pkg for me;

thats part of the Lane keeping functionality it sounds like,
it helps you keep it all straight.

likely sensors are not in the same angle or position for the no tow pkg.

Hello, I have a 2013 Limited with the trailer tow and rear back-up sensors.. I have noticed alot of times a red box shows up when backing, but nothing is in the way. I looked at the sensors and the two in the middle on both sides of the hitch area are angled in towards the middle.. I have looked at other explorers and noticed that theres are flat and smooth not angled..but I dunno if they have trailer tow or if mine are just messed up.. I have had it for two weeks and havent hit anything..just wondering.
Do you also get the audible alarm? Is the part of the hitch with the ball installed or is the cover on?
I do not have the tow package but I doubt that makes any difference. I took a couple of pics of the way mine (right sensor) is installed. It is a bit difficult to see but the sensors do appear to be angled to the middle but in fact they are set that way so that they are actually aimed straight back instead of following the curvature of the bumper.

Peter

Attachments

• PA230148_1.JPG
    PA230148_1.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 305
  • PA230149_1.JPG
    PA230149_1.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 306

Peter, Yes I also receive the audible alarm it's constant whenever I put the vehicle in reverse..nothing in the way..the sensors are clean. The little red box shows on the screen. My sensors do NOT look like yours the actual sensor itself is angled in toward the center of vehicle..on both sides. Also the cover is on the hitch no rcvr installed.

Peter, Yes I also receive the audible alarm it's constant whenever I put the vehicle in reverse..nothing in the way..the sensors are clean. The little red box shows on the screen. My sensors do NOT look like yours the actual sensor itself is angled in toward the center of vehicle..on both sides. Also the cover is on the hitch no rcvr installed.
I'm not sure why the sensors would be angled. Perhaps, because of the angle, the sensors are 'seeing' the edge/lip of their mounting fixtures and that is why you get the constant alarm. To the best of my knowledge, the sensors should not be angled inward. They should be aimed straight back.
Time to see the dealer I think.

Peter

Agreed..called the service manager today..waiting for call back.

Back