Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

Thanks for the tire information. my sport should arrive just as i will need winters, looks like ill be checking out costco as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum TheMustangShow.:wavey:
I replaced the OEM Hankooks with Yokohama Parada Spec-X the day I picked it up. For Winter I purchased the 17" Base model steel wheels and run the 245/65R17 BFG Winter Slaloms.
Seeing as how you are into 'moding', the following forum would be to your liking;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

Good luck.

Peter

Thank you for the welcome!

Do the stock 17" Explorer wheels clear the Front Brakes on your SPORT?

I have also wondered if how many wheels off the Ford Taurus will work on out Explorers?

Thank you for the welcome!

Do the stock 17" Explorer wheels clear the Front Brakes on your SPORT?

I have also wondered if how many wheels off the Ford Taurus will work on out Explorers?
As indicated in my PM to you, I have moved your post to this thread.

I have a 2011 Limited. The 17" wheels will not fit the Sport. I believe you have to go with 18" if you wish to downsize since the brakes are a little larger. I think you will have a greater tire selection in 18" than you would in the 20" size and they would be less expensive too.
Good luck.

Peter

I know I'm getting on this early, but are there any winter tires for the Explorer Sport? Any limitations given the larger brake discs (ie. is 20" tires essentially the only option)?

The Wheels that I have found to use on my Sport are the 18" Steel Wheels off the POLICE Explorers. Sports have bigger brakes and this is the only thing I can find to cover the brakes and 20" snow tires are a joke and cost and arm and a leg. These wheels look like Arse, but this is winter, not a fashion show and the options are limited.

Ford-Explorer-Police-Interceptor-12.jpg

These cop wheels are 18" and will cover the brakes, as the Police Explorers have the SPORTS' brakes (but NOT our 3.5 EB engines :D) I will run 265/60/18 Blizzaks on this truck.

The Wheels that I have found to use on my Sport are the 18" Steel Wheels off the POLICE Explorers. Sports have bigger brakes and this is the only thing I can find to cover the brakes and 20" snow tires are a joke and cost and arm and a leg. These wheels look like Arse, but this is winter, not a fashion show and the options are limited.

These cop wheels are 18" and will cover the brakes, as the Police Explorers have the SPORTS' brakes (but NOT our 3.5 EB engines :D) I will run 265/60/18 Blizzaks on this truck.
Those look like the same type of wheel that I bought from the dealer for my Limited only mine are the Base model 17" steel wheels and I went with the full wheel cover as per post #5 .

Peter

I just wanted to add my experience to the information posted here in regards to winter tires, as it helped me.
I used to have a 2011 Edge Sport with those really, really nice 22" rims, but in the winter I changed over to a set of winter tires. I traded into a 2013 Explorer Limited in June thinking I could re-use my winter tires on my new ride. If the Flex, and Edge tires could fit on the Explorer, I thought no issue. So Tuesday I went to install my tires, and there were some fitment issues. The brake calipers were rubbing against the weights to balance the rim. Not a good start. I took off the tires and went back to the stock tires. Today I talked to a more experience tire tech and investigated and solved the problem. The weights. The stick on weights were removed and pinch weights were installed. There is very little clearance between the brake caliper and the ID of the rim, but it does clear. So I can say the 17" rims I have do work to replace the 20" Chrome tires setup of my Limited.

Winter Tire Setup:
P255/65R17 Bridgestone Blizzak DMV1 with Core Racing Superlite Silver Rims 17x7 5/100-114.3 +38 Offset with hub centralizers.
175eed40-de19-488a-9b9e-1483e413701c_zpscab67ca0.jpg

TireCloseup_zps677ef7c9.jpg

I just wanted to add my experience to the information posted here in regards to winter tires, as it helped me.
I used to have a 2011 Edge Sport with those really, really nice 22" rims, but in the winter I changed over to a set of winter tires. I traded into a 2013 Explorer Limited in June thinking I could re-use my winter tires on my new ride. If the Flex, and Edge tires could fit on the Explorer, I thought no issue. So Tuesday I went to install my tires, and there were some fitment issues. The brake calipers were rubbing against the weights to balance the rim. Not a good start. I took off the tires and went back to the stock tires. Today I talked to a more experience tire tech and investigated and solved the problem. The weights. The stick on weights were removed and pinch weights were installed. There is very little clearance between the brake caliper and the ID of the rim, but it does clear. So I can say the 17" rims I have do work to replace the 20" Chrome tires setup of my Limited.
Welcome to the Forum Eclipsed7.:wavey:
Very nice wheels. Perhaps too nice for Winter driving.;)
What I like about the 17" steel wheels I use (post #5 ) to replace my 20" ones is that you can hardly see the brakes at all and hopefully that will help a little and provide some extra protection from all the slush, sand and salt they use on our roads here.
Getting mine swapped out next week.
Good luck and happy motoring. :):thumbsup:

Peter

Just ordered a set of 245/65-17 winterforce from my dealer. They matched a price if another intown shop. All said and done it came to 1197.00 tax in installed. Tere are cheaper tires but I have had the winter force on a work van that was just hopeless in the snow. The winter force did a great job and lasted a long time....they ran them all year round. Can wait to see some snowy roads to plow through. Also thinking about taking off the front air dam for a bit more clearance as we so see alot of snow in my area.

The black steel rims looked very odd on the Edge and they were the same price as the black steel rims. I had no issues with the setup on my Edge Sport. IF the alloys did not work, I would have gone with steel rims as I think they look good on the Explorer. I was lucky I did not have to go and get a new set of winter tires.

Welcome to the Forum Eclipsed7.:wavey:
Very nice wheels. Perhaps too nice for Winter driving.;)
What I like about the 17" steel wheels I use (post #5 ) to replace my 20" ones is that you can hardly see the brakes at all and hopefully that will help a little and provide some extra protection from all the slush, sand and salt they use on our roads here.
Getting mine swapped out next week.
Good luck and happy motoring. :):thumbsup:

Peter

Winter Tire Setup:
P255/65R17 Bridgestone Blizzak DMV1 with Core Racing Superlite Silver Rims 17x7 5/100-114.3 +38 Offset with hub centralizers.
175eed40-de19-488a-9b9e-1483e413701c_zpscab67ca0.jpg

TireCloseup_zps677ef7c9.jpg

Wow, that's tight.

Helpful information, but the problem SPORT owners have are the massive brakes, that are the largest of all the Explorers, due to the SPORT'S performance.

Just ordered a set of 245/65-17 winterforce from my dealer. They matched a price if another intown shop. All said and done it came to 1197.00 tax in installed. Tere are cheaper tires but I have had the winter force on a work van that was just hopeless in the snow. The winter force did a great job and lasted a long time....they ran them all year round. Can wait to see some snowy roads to plow through. Also thinking about taking off the front air dam for a bit more clearance as we so see alot of snow in my area.
Ford does have that slogan that they will not be undersold on tires but that does not include Costco. The BFG Winter Slaloms I got from the dealer were cheaper than Canadian Tire. I think CTC price was about $15 or $20 more per tire. I have gone through two Winters here in the Ottawa area and haven't had any issue with the front air deflector. I know that on one occasion I actually plowed some snow with it when I went through a fairly high pile that the plow had left across a side street.

Peter

I used to have a 2011 Edge Sport with those really, really nice 22" rims, but in the winter I changed over to a set of winter tires. I traded into a 2013 Explorer Limited in June thinking I could re-use my winter tires on my new ride. If the Flex, and Edge tires could fit on the Explorer, I thought no issue. So Tuesday I went to install my tires, and there were some fitment issues.

The factory rims have a 44mm offset, yours are 38mm, that would explain the fitment issues.

Ford does have that slogan that they will not be undersold on tires but that does not include Costco. The BFG Winter Slaloms I got from the dealer were cheaper than Canadian Tire. I think CTC price was about $15 or $20 more per tire. I have gone through two Winters here in the Ottawa area and haven't had any issue with the front air deflector. I know that on one occasion I actually plowed some snow with it when I went through a fairly high pile that the plow had left across a side street.

Peter

The dealer price matched with out any issues. Picked the up today,will put them on when the snow hits.

I live in a rual area near southern georgian bay(owen sound) lots of freak lake effect snow. Inlaws driveway will be the death of the air dam.... And mabyeI want to find some places to take it off road lol. Now that im not worried about the factory rims getting messed up. I really want to play with the terrain managment.

Ready for winter duty, Sir!

Got my Saleens and snow tires mounted today

Specs for all to see:

Wheels - 18x9 +24 offset Saleen replicas
Tires - 265/60-18 Hankook I-pike snows (non-studded)

Just a tiny poke, but it looks good on it!

20131025_160813_zpsa2413fce.jpg

And the side shot to show the offset:

20131025_160822_zps15968655.jpg

there nice, you mind if i ask how much those tires cost? Was gonna buy some other day, but was over $300 a tire.

there nice, you mind if i ask how much those tires cost? Was gonna buy some other day, but was over $300 a tire.

$479 shipped for the wheels
$613 shipped for the tires

I installed them at a friend's shop, so install was free.

That's why I'm running 245/65R17 Winter tires on my Limited.

Peter

That's why I'm running 245/65R17 Winter tires on my Limited.

Peter

I would have run 17's, but the 14" brakes on the Sport necessitated 18" wheels.

$479 shipped for the wheels
$613 shipped for the tires

I installed them at a friend's shop, so install was free.

Where did you find the wheels? Did you add sensors?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where did you find the wheels? Did you add sensors?

The wheels came from Wheel Replicas and tires from Discount Tire Direct. I opted to not install TPMS sensors.

Back