Is anyone satisfied with their sport? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is anyone satisfied with their sport?

My only complaint for my 2013 explorer is that I had to pay extra for airbag seatbelts that do not allow my family of 5 to go on a Vacation together. We have to use a 3rd row seat in order for us to go somewhere together.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My only complaint for my 2013 explorer is that I had to pay extra for airbag seatbelts that do not allow my family of 5 to go on a Vacation together. We have to use a 3rd row seat in order for us to go somewhere together.

Same here, that is my only real complaint so far.

Why is that? I have the inflatable seat belts and I can seat 3 people in the back seat.

Same here, that is my only real complaint so far.

Hi tiffdgriff and MarlonF,

I confirmed with my technical advisor that you should be able to use all of your seatbelts in the second row even when using the outboard inflatable seatbelts (if equipped). If you're having any difficulty with your seatbelts, I recommend making an appointment at your dealership so they can perform an inspection.

Crystal

Hi tiffdgriff and MarlonF,

I confirmed with my technical advisor that you should be able to use all of your seatbelts in the second row even when using the outboard inflatable seatbelts (if equipped). If you're having any difficulty with your seatbelts, I recommend making an appointment at your dealership so they can perform an inspection.

Crystal

Thank you for following up. The seatbelts work fine, the actually problem is if the seatbelts are in use there isn't enough room to sit comfotably without having the buckle dig into you. Here is an example http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3124709&postcount=19

Things to change

Lots of stuff I really like about my new 2014 Explorer sport. Adaptive cruise, customizable lighting, lots of power, great sound, and the list goes on.
But it's always easier to complain about it's faults, and it has a few.
First off I've owned 3 different explorers now and the main thing that really bugs me is not being able to lock my keys in the truck if I want to. It has a keypad on the side like the old ones did but it won't let me keep the vehicle locked with the keys inside. I want this because I take it to the gym or park it somewhere when I go running and I don't want to carry the keys with me. Also it honks at me when I walk away with it unlocked but doesn't lock or anything when it does that.
I really miss being able to open the rear glass and the rear hatch separately.
Also it's a sport but I can't drive it like a sport vehicle. Can't get it to power slide or anything cuz it just starts breaking wheels and stuff which is very unpredictable in a lot of situations.
I'm also having an issue where my main instrument cluster just shuts off while I'm driving it. It shuts off for a couple seconds then comes back on. I've taken it into ford a few times but they haven't been able to fix the problem yet.

One more thing, and I've read a few posts of people mentioning this, is that the windshield and paint seem cheap. I have only had it a few months and I already have a couple cracks in the window and tons of chips on the front. I've had other vehicles and not gotten this dinged up over their entire life span. I even repaired one of the chips in the window just to have it spread across the whole thing a few days later. The paint seems not to have any type of clear coat or protection on it as hitting a butterfly at 50k seems to cause it to chip.
That's it for now. Still very happy overall but there is definitely room to improve on this model.

So far my wife and I absolutely love our 2014 Sport. It has plenty of power, my brother decided to hot rod it when I let him take it for a spin and topped 110mph in nothing flat. We have just over 3,000 miles since getting it the end of March. We just made a trip from California to Grants Pass Oregon and averaged 20mpg. That is city, curvy country roads and mountain passes on the freeway on the way up. On the way back I reset just before getting on the freeway, which included going through 2 high mountain passes, and got 22.8mpg on the way back. I do not consider that bad at all for only 3k miles on the vehicle. No problems at this time with the exception of the Ambient Lights resetting back to Blue a couple of times.
Tom

No complaints. We love our 2014 Sport! We've bought 18 new cars so far during our lifetime and this by far is the best one yet. The build quality on ours if perfect.

Explorer Sport Satisfaction

Picked up my Sport mid Feb. all the goodies I think, so far only complaint my 2010 MKT handled the mountain curves way better than my Sport, the MKT had the OEM tires, I already forgot what they were and in the winter I had 4 Blizzak Snow Tires.

My Sport has the Hancooks and stock suspension. I thought the "Sport" would have a more sportier suspension. Does anyone know the difference between the MKT Suspension and the Sport. I have checked with both Bilstein and KYB and they do not have shocks for the Sport. What is the Police Interceptor running for shocks?

The sport in my opinion is not being driven to aggressively is just sways and wallows in the curves, the MKT was lower and maybe heavier.

I like the Sport a lot and would like it more when I get the handling fidured out.

geezerglide

My 2014 MKT unfortunately has the Hankook tires on 20" wheels. The MKT has a longer wheel base by just over 5". The MKT Ecoboost weighs 4249 lbs and the non Ecoboost weighs 4701 lbs. The Sport is 4534 lbs.
My MKT has 3 driver control settings for the suspension, Sport, Normal and Comfort. The MKT is also lower that the Explorer as you can see in the picture of my current and former rides.

Peter

Attachments

• P3310198_1.JPG
    P3310198_1.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 269

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder....but that grill on the MKT is hideous.

I love mine!!!

Lots of stuff I really like about my new 2014 Explorer sport. Adaptive cruise, customizable lighting, lots of power, great sound, and the list goes on.
But it's always easier to complain about it's faults, and it has a few.
First off I've owned 3 different explorers now and the main thing that really bugs me is not being able to lock my keys in the truck if I want to. It has a keypad on the side like the old ones did but it won't let me keep the vehicle locked with the keys inside. I want this because I take it to the gym or park it somewhere when I go running and I don't want to carry the keys with me. Also it honks at me when I walk away with it unlocked but doesn't lock or anything when it does that.
I really miss being able to open the rear glass and the rear hatch separately.
Also it's a sport but I can't drive it like a sport vehicle. Can't get it to power slide or anything cuz it just starts breaking wheels and stuff which is very unpredictable in a lot of situations.
I'm also having an issue where my main instrument cluster just shuts off while I'm driving it. It shuts off for a couple seconds then comes back on. I've taken it into ford a few times but they haven't been able to fix the problem yet.

One more thing, and I've read a few posts of people mentioning this, is that the windshield and paint seem cheap. I have only had it a few months and I already have a couple cracks in the window and tons of chips on the front. I've had other vehicles and not gotten this dinged up over their entire life span. I even repaired one of the chips in the window just to have it spread across the whole thing a few days later. The paint seems not to have any type of clear coat or protection on it as hitting a butterfly at 50k seems to cause it to chip.
That's it for now. Still very happy overall but there is definitely room to improve on this model.

Welcome to the Forum Hopper32.:wavey:
You can lock your keys inside by using the Securicode panel on the door.
This is from your Owner's Guide; To lock all doors: Press and hold 7•8 and 9•0 at the same time with the driver door closed. You do not need to enter the keypad code first.
You can also lock them in by manually pushing down on the door lock pins. It will only honk if you walk away with the keys while the engine is running. If you don't close the door all the way it won't honk.
If you are getting that many chips on the front, perhaps you should invest in either a hood deflector or some of that clear film protection. I only had about 11,200 miles on mine when I returned it and there was one chip or scratch on the body or the windshield. Although I'm not positive, I think they all have a clearcoat finish.

Peter

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder....but that grill on the MKT is hideous.
This one I don't mind. It does take a bit of getting used to. It's the grille in the MKX that I don't like.

Peter

2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulleti

I had the smell problem but only when brand new after I hit 500 miles it went away, I also had the 2nd row passenger side headrest noise on bumpy roads but took care of that there is a lot of smart people on this forum with easy fixes on most simple problems but I have not had any major issues and I love mine and driving it is also fun and I drive 60 miles one way to work all highway miles so it has to be fun to drive that's why I sold my 2011 F150 Lariat I loved it and had great luck with it but its a truck and wasn't very fun to drive that far every day. 2014 Ford Explorer Sport

This one I don't mind. It does take a bit of getting used to. It's the grille in the MKX that I don't like.

Peter

Outside of general aesthetics which is personal taste, and while these are both technically crossovers, the Ex comes across as a SUV/truck in appearance and the MKT as what it is - a crossover.

Again, personal taste on that front (and a different ride for a crossover that has a lower center of gravity), but two very different looking vehicles. Guess you just wanted something different.

Its nice but I made so many modifications to match my taste

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Forum Runner

Outside of general aesthetics which is personal taste, and while these are both technically crossovers, the Ex comes across as a SUV/truck in appearance and the MKT as what it is - a crossover.

Again, personal taste on that front (and a different ride for a crossover that has a lower center of gravity), but two very different looking vehicles. Guess you just wanted something different.
I really had no intention of getting a new vehicle. I had a year left on the Explorer lease but got a deal that was hard to turn down. Dealer paid off the lease with no penalty to me. With the price they quoted and applying my refundable deposit from the Ex to the MKT, I ended up getting a $59k vehicle for $45,500. I wanted to stay with an Ex but there are minimal changes to the 2015. With the 2016 supposedly a 'redesign', the 3 year lease on the MKT will take me to April 2017 at which time there may be some deals on a 2016 Explorer.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am satisfied with my Sport. I have a 13 with about 16K miles on it now on a lease. No real complaints. MFT has never let me down and I like the sound of the stereo. Rides nice and is quiet when the family is in it. It is just about as fast as my brothers f250 diesel but that is so loud it gives you a headache after a few miles. :) Really can't think of a downside as a daily driver.

I probably won't purchase this at the end of the lease and probably will not get another one but it is nice right now.

Back