Replacing OEM headlights with HID lights? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing OEM headlights with HID lights?

181534-hid-faq-read-before-you-ask-hidchart%5B1%5D.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4300k is the best for light output in my opinion as a good bulb can product 3100-3400 Lumens. Anything above 4300k is more for looks.

Exactly. Lumens rule.

...and I think the sapphire blue of some of these bulbs looks a little silly frankly, but thats just me.

Also, contrary to what some may think, as the 'K' number goes up, the actual light output (lumens) decreases.

Peter

Is that so, Peter? I thought the same wattage HID bulbs were brighter over tungsten. If that's not the case, then what do we want these things for? :D You may be right about actual output, I don't know, never tested them, but their beam pattern is more efficient and that might be where the confusion comes in. Thanks, learn something new everyday.:biggthump

Is that so, Peter? I thought the same wattage HID bulbs were brighter over tungsten. If that's not the case, then what do we want these things for? :D You may be right about actual output, I don't know, never tested them, but their beam pattern is more efficient and that might be where the confusion comes in. Thanks, learn something new everyday.:biggthump
If you check out the chart that spr posted in this thread, you will see that as the 'k' number goes up, the light output, measured in lumens, actually goes down.

http://www.manyadeal.com/page.html?id=24

Peter

I have a 2013 Explorer Limited with OEM Halogen bulbs. Will the 2x-OSRAM-xenarc-66340-D3S-35W-Xenon-headlight-HID-BULBS-LIGHTS-NEW-GENUINE-OEM-320892017266 work as replacements in the existing lamps? In other words, can I plug these HID bulbs into my existing plugs? The ballasts seem to be integrated with the bulbs.

Thanks,

Randy

I have a 2013 Explorer Limited with OEM Halogen bulbs. Will the 2x-OSRAM-xenarc-66340-D3S-35W-Xenon-headlight-HID-BULBS-LIGHTS-NEW-GENUINE-OEM-320892017266 work as replacements in the existing lamps? In other words, can I plug these HID bulbs into my existing plugs? The ballasts seem to be integrated with the bulbs.

Thanks,

Randy
Welcome to the Forum rkeyser. :wavey:
Randy, as I mentioned in my PM to you, I have moved this thread to the 'Modified' forum. There are several posts here about installing HID lights/bulbs. Good luck.

Peter

Thanks,

Randy

I thought the limiteds came with HID? Mine did - If you have HID - Yes they will. Its not easy getting to the bulbs though. I've changed mine from 4300 (factory) to 5000 (nice look) and then I went to Philip 6000 Ultinons (very nice look).

Like I said before - its a pain getting to the bulbs so I had a shop do mine. Also remember most of those Ebay bulbs aren't really genuine bulbs so you get what you pay for. I'd recommend hidconcept.com that's where I got my 5000 from and they have been well so far until I swapped to 6000 - got the 6000 from kbcarstuff.

good luck and post pics after your mod

I thought the limiteds came with HID? Mine did - If you have HID - Yes they will. Its not easy getting to the bulbs though. I've changed mine from 4300 (factory) to 5000 (nice look) and then I went to Philip 6000 Ultinons (very nice look).
Only Limiteds built for the Canadian market come standard with HID. For Limiteds built for the U.S. market, HID headlights are an option.

Peter

I have the 35watt 6000k hid kit in my car. Night and day difference between the stock and these. Thats usually my first mod on anything that doesnt have hid's. Very simple installation too.
I buy my kits at ddmtuning.com. Always had great service with them, plus the bulbs have unlimited warranty.

Like I said before - its a pain getting to the bulbs so I had a shop do mine. Also remember most of those Ebay bulbs aren't really genuine bulbs so you get what you pay for. I'd recommend hidconcept.com that's where I got my 5000 from and they have been well so far until I swapped to 6000 - got the 6000 from kbcarstuff.

good luck and post pics after your mod

"I have a 2013 Explorer Limited with OEM Halogen bulbs. Will the 2x-OSRAM-xenarc-66340-D3S-35W-Xenon-headlight-HID-BULBS-LIGHTS-NEW-GENUINE-OEM-320892017266 work as replacements in the existing lamps? In other words, can I plug these HID bulbs into my existing plugs?
The ballasts seem to be integrated with the bulbs. "

+1

i doubt these will fit in a Ltd with Halogen but ...anyone?

Does anyone in the US know if Ford has a OEM HID kit for the Sport?

I went to the dealer today and they told me that if they change the DRL's to the parking lights it will cause an issue with a controller.

Service Manager says to wait until the new year and see if Ford has a OEM HID kit. He also said that they already have them in the US.

I have searched but have not found anything.

I have a 2014 Sport that I will be picking up next Wednesday and wanted to confirm this before I pick it up.

And any owners that have used after market HID kits have you had any issues?

I'm surprised about that 'yellow tint' part. When my OEM HID's reflect off signs, I notice a slight hint of blue.

You see blue because of the projector bulb. Think of a prisim. You will see the blue due to light refraction due to the curvature of the projector glass.

You see blue because of the projector bulb. Think of a prisim. You will see the blue due to light refraction due to the curvature of the projector glass.
Did you mean the headlight lense? I don't have projector bulbs.

Peter

Nope, meant projector. Didn't read that you had a 2011. There shouldn't be very much refraction on your headlights.

13 Exsport HID's returned to stock

I have been running high quality HID's in all my vehicles including sleds, four wheelers and bikes. I was running a 55w kit for my headlights and a 55w kits for the driving lights. I had zero problems in my 09 & 11 edge sports and none in the exsport until now. The kits were professionally installed with delays, resistors and capacitors. After hours of testing and messing around, I had my dealer check all the systems and was charged over $300 to have them put the stock bulbs back in the care. I have had the HIDs bench tested and they perform as they should.

What kits have been guys using with good success? Has anyone frankenstiened the factory HIDs from a limited into a sport?

I have been running high quality HID's in all my vehicles including sleds, four wheelers and bikes. I was running a 55w kit for my headlights and a 55w kits for the driving lights. I had zero problems in my 09 & 11 edge sports and none in the exsport until now. The kits were professionally installed with delays, resistors and capacitors. After hours of testing and messing around, I had my dealer check all the systems and was charged over $300 to have them put the stock bulbs back in the care. I have had the HIDs bench tested and they perform as they should.

What kits have been guys using with good success? Has anyone frankenstiened the factory HIDs from a limited into a sport?
Welcome to the Forum Igottaguy.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this one on HID;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385161

You may also want to check out;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379829

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397594

Good luck

Peter

There are a few threads on HIDs already, take a scroll through there. Lots of information.
Many ppl here have different sources on where they get the hids, coolbulbs i think is one of the known ones.
Personally I get mine from ddmtuning.com. Never had any issues with mine, so far have one set in my bike thats still working over 5 yrs. Plus, bulbs have unlimited warranty which is pretty sweet.

Have them in my 13 exsport as well with no resistors or capacitors, so im not sure what problems you are running into.
good luck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, contrary to what some may think, as the 'K' number goes up, the actual light output (lumens) decreases.

Peter
Peter this is quite untrue.

Color temperature and light output in lumens are essentially unrelated in an abstract sense.

e.g. If I buy an 8000K and a 6000K bulb I won't know which is brightest in lumens - it could be either one.

Similarly I can buy an old style high power floodlamp of several thousdand watts @ approx 3500K and it will be very very very bright (in lumens)...

If I have a single incandescent lamp its brightest point (in lumens) before it finally burns out (as I increase the supply voltage) will be its highest color temperature. It will likely be the apparently brightest point too.

Now above a certain point (~7000K) "useful" (to humans) apparent light intensity does diminish as color temperature goes up - personally I find Purple light to be highly objectionable - and I would expect rather useless for driving. Besides for me at least, accurate color rendering is highly beneficial to recognition at night (so I don't like sodium street lights either).

At lower color temperatures (say 3000K-6500K) the apparent brightness to humans actually increases with increasing color temperatures.

Think of it like this - as humans we are optically attuned (and optimized) to the natural daylight we have all day long (~6500K) - makes sense that we perceive less brightness as we diverge - either way - from that color temp.

Alan

Back