QUESTION - Would a 17" OEM Steel Wheel fit on the Sport model? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

QUESTION - Would a 17" OEM Steel Wheel fit on the Sport model?

LIVIO

Reaction score
City, State
York Region, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Ford Explorer Platinum
Hey guys, I have a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport on order.

I am planning on using the OEM wheels with Hankook tires for the summer and would like to buy a set of OEM tires and wheels for the winter.

What I'm looking at is a set of 17" OEM steel wheels with 5-spoke covers but I'm not sure whether they will fit a new Sport with the larger brakes.

I did notice that the Police Interceptor Utility uses an 18" steel wheel which started to make me think that the 17" wheel may not fit if in fact the brakes are the same size.

I would hate to buy them only to find out they won't fit.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Livio
:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am planning on using the OEM wheels with Hankook tires for the summer and would like to buy a set of OEM tires and wheels for the winter.

What I'm looking at is a set of 17" OEM steel wheels with 5-spoke covers but I'm not sure whether they will fit a new Sport with the larger brakes.

I did notice that the Police Interceptor Utility uses an 18" steel wheel which started to make me think that the 17" wheel may not fit if in fact the brakes are the same size.

Thanks,
Livio
Perhaps you should check with the dealer's parts department. I use the OEM 17" steel wheel and wheel cover on my 2011 Limited with no problems except one. The lugnuts used for the 20" wheels will not hold the 17" wheel cover on. The ones needed for that require a sort of built in flange since it is the wheel nuts that hold the cover on. The 20 wheel nuts cost me $251.40 with a discount.
I wouldn't be surprised if you have to go with the 18" wheel and tire. An 18" tire would still be less expensive than a 20" and you would have more manufacturers to chose from as well.

Peter

Attachments

• PB050253b.jpg
    PB050253b.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 2,890

You might watch for a set of 18-inch take-offs from an XLT. I bought a nearly new set for $680 delivered off eBay last summer. I missed out on a cheaper set because I hadn't yet ordered my Sport and didn't want to buy winter wheels before I knew that I would have a vehicle for them. There are no issues with fit or lug nuts with the XLT wheels.

Thanks,
Livio

I don't think 17s fit. I had 18s winter tires put on and it was a tight fit. Even with the 18s you'll get more torque steering, and a bit smoother ride. See what your dealer says, but I doubt 17's will fit with the Sport's larger brakes up front.

Thanks everyone for your advice and help with my question.

I will be using Caliper Covers by MGP on my Explorer Sport so......

After reviewing all the facts and information available I have decided to either buy myself a set of 2011+ 22" Ford Edge Sport Wheels and use the OEM 20" for the winter.

OR

Buy myself a set of 20" Standard Painted Aluminum Wheels from a Ford Explorer Limited for the winter just to be safe as I may need more clearance with the larger brakes and caliper covers combined.

I have a friend who has switched his OEM Wheels from his Explorer Limited so I am hoping to buy them from him since he is not using them.

Thanks again,
Livio :salute:

I'd love to see the edge sport wheels on the explorer. I like them better than the explorer sport wheels.

Has anyone officially confirmed or denied that 17" wheels won't fit on a sport? I have a set of factory 17" steels and I'm considering switching my order to a Sport while there's still time.

Moving thread to 'Modified' forum

Has anyone officially confirmed or denied that 17" wheels won't fit on a sport? I have a set of factory 17" steels and I'm considering switching my order to a Sport while there's still time.
I haven't read any posts where someone physically attempted this.

Peter

It's pretty confusing to me. Tire Rack shows 17" as an available winter tire package for the Sport, but has only four 17" wheel choices for the sport versus dozens for the base/XLT/Limited (no steels available for any trim level). Dealer couldn't help either, just referred me to Tire Rack.

It's pretty confusing to me. Tire Rack shows 17" as an available winter tire package for the Sport, but has only four 17" wheel choices for the sport versus dozens for the base/XLT/Limited (no steels available for any trim level). Dealer couldn't help either, just referred me to Tire Rack.[/QUOTE What are the factory 17" wheels from that you have? Are they Ford wheels? From the posts that I've read here, I think the 17's are too small since the Sport has larger brakes. It isn't just as easy as swapping wheel sizes. You also have to take into account the centerbore, offset, bolt pattern etc.

Peter

Yeah they are the OEM wheels from a base model, bought them off Craigslist with tires for less than I would have paid for the wheels + TPMS elsewhere.

I get that there's a lot to consider, this would be an easy question to answer if I had the specs on all the parts involved.

From what I've found online, the base 17x7.5 wheels are a 44mm offset and I measured the backspace at 6" (tough to get an exact number because the tires are mounted). The wheels that Tire Rack guarantees to fit are 40mm offset with a 5.79" backspace. Unfortunately I'm missing the following information to have a go/no-go on the steels:

Sport maximum allowable backspace
Sport required caliper clearance
17" wheel inside diameter (I can measure, but forgot to do it)

picked up my EX from dealer today because of radio issue...anyway while i was there they had a SHO Interceptor on the lot. And correct me if I'm wrong but the SHO/Utility have same brakes as 2013 and up brakes?

Took a look at the brakes under the 18inch steel wheels...i dont see anyway that you could really squeeze down to a 17 inch wheel with those brakes in there... not very scientific I know. Just saying.

Cool, thanks for checking that out. I think I heard the same thing about the brakes in the SHO and Sport being that same. I'll take this as another sign to just go with the XLT and be happy with it!

In case anyone wanted to know, the inside diameter of the base 17" steel wheel is around 16 5/8" towards the inner shoulder and 16" at the hub mounting plane.

Greetings, last week the Ford dealership installed 17 inch steel rims and tires. They fit fine.

Greetings, last week the Ford dealership installed 17 inch steel rims and tires. They fit fine.
Are you sure they were 17" ? Everyone says they are too small for the Sport. If they were, are they the 17" steel wheels that are on the Base model?

Peter

I'd love to see the edge sport wheels on the explorer. I like them better than the explorer sport wheels.
here you go Harley........

Attachments

• EXPLORER EDGE WHEELS.jpg
    EXPLORER EDGE WHEELS.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 4,141

They are definitely 17 inch rims. And they could be from the base model. Buying from Ford is the way to go because they built the truck

They are definitely 17 inch rims. And they could be from the base model. Buying from Ford is the way to go because they built the truck
Well that is interesting. I'm using the 17" Ford wheels on my Limited in place of my 20" OEM wheels for Winter. Every post here seems to say that the 17" will not fit on the Sport because of its larger brakes. MMMMM

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put the 17" steelies on my XLT today and I needed to grind down a particularly large weld joint that was interfering with the brake caliper, that's how close it is! I am very surprised to hear that the 17" will fit on the Sport with the bigger brakes.

It did look like, however, that with a bit of a spacer (maybe 10mm?) that the narrowest part of the rim would be pushed out from the caliper might have a lot more clearance. No one take this as advice, just an observation.

Edit: typo

Back