Lowering the Explorer | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering the Explorer

Have your springs settled much? Any new pics? Mine are scheduled to be installed on Tuesday after work. Looking forward to it.

D.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would put couple hundred miles on the springs before getting the alignment.

I'm lurking in this thread pending results, I put on new rims/tires last week and it looks way too high now:( What I really want to know about is ride quality, are the new springs stiff, do they make the ride feel 'harsh'?

I'm lurking in this thread pending results, I put on new rims/tires last week and it looks way too high now:( What I really want to know about is ride quality, are the new springs stiff, do they make the ride feel 'harsh'?

Curious myself, really want to lower it, but would like to hear some real world feedback

Curious myself, really want to lower it, but would like to hear some real world feedback

This has been discussed by several members in other threads but, to answer your question............ I couldn't tell there was much of a difference as far as ride quality. They are a LITTLE stiffer than OEM, not much. Adding 22in wheels with 40 profile tires made me feel the bumps on the road more but, not bad at all. I guess it depends what you like. All my vehicles have aftermarket lowering springs. I don't like that "boat" feeling some cars have with stock suspension. I love my truck now!!!!!!!!! It feels planted in the curves and I'm sure this will improve ones I get my wheel spacers on!

Just my two cents. Hope it helps!

Tirerack has them for sale, but ad reads -
Front and Rear Fitment
Ride Height: Moderate Lowering
Note: Avg. low 1.6"F & 2.3"R
Lowering varies by engine size and model.

That doesn't seem worth the hassle for 2", probably won't even notice it as much gap there is between the tire and fender

Just spoke with a Tirerack Rep, he said the H&R rep told him the Explorer springs are still in testing and would not be release before Feb. 1 2014

That being said, wonder if the Flex springs will work ok.

Silverstallion--You positive they sent you Explorer springs?

Tirerack has them for sale, but ad reads -
Front and Rear Fitment
Ride Height: Moderate Lowering
Note: Avg. low 1.6"F & 2.3"R
Lowering varies by engine size and model.

That doesn't seem worth the hassle for 2", probably won't even notice it as much gap there is between the tire and fender

Unless you're looking to tuck the tire an inch in the wheel well, a 2" drop is pretty substantial. I'd actually prefer one closer to 1" up front 1.5" in the rear, for a slightly lower look without looking slammed.

Lowered my sport yesterday !

so I took it to the dealer yesterday to get a little work done while I was at work . I have to say that the H&Rs ride a hell of a lot better than I actually thought they would . i have always used H&R coilovers but never tried their springs . they stuck it next to another black explorer after they finished . when I got there to get it , I couldn't believe what a difference it made in the look of the vehicle . my wheels should be here today so they should compliment the look quite nicely .

on to the couple of pics I took..........

Attachments

• lowered explorer.jpg
    lowered explorer.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 3,187
  • lowered explorer 2.jpg
    lowered explorer 2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 2,957

Wow that looks amazing , nice job
thank you...the pics don't really do it justice . I didn't think it would change the look that much but it makes a huge difference in person :thumbsup:

Looks tight - still waiting to get mine done. Are those the Flex Springs or the Explorer?

Darren

Just spoke with a Tirerack Rep, he said the H&R rep told him the Explorer springs are still in testing and would not be release before Feb. 1 2014

That being said, wonder if the Flex springs will work ok.

Silverstallion--You positive they sent you Explorer springs?

Yes - they are the Explorer Part Number listed from H&R. I have not had a chance to get them installed yet. Looking forward to it though.

This is good news 430, I've been hesitant to use the H&R springs because I wanted some real feedback on ride quality. Heck, I'm the guy that went to a SMALLER rim and LARGER aspect ratio tire becuse i wanted to improve ride quality. I would like my ExSp to sit lower and corner a bit better tho:)

Yes - they are the Explorer Part Number listed from H&R. I have not had a chance to get them installed yet. Looking forward to it though.

Do you know who you spoke with? They are telling me otherwise

Tirerack is telling me that H&R has not released the Explorer springs yet, no sets have been sold. Talked to two different reps this morning. They are saying 3 months before they expect the first sets to arrive. Anyone know any other place that has them for sale?

Looks tight - still waiting to get mine done. Are those the Flex Springs or the Explorer?

Darren
Explorer H&Rs :thumbsup:

This is good news 430, I've been hesitant to use the H&R springs because I wanted some real feedback on ride quality. Heck, I'm the guy that went to a SMALLER rim and LARGER aspect ratio tire becuse i wanted to improve ride quality. I would like my ExSp to sit lower and corner a bit better tho:)
you won't regret it . the difference in ride quality is minimal but the look is enhanced greatly :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks killer, gonna do mine soon. Hows the alignment now? any camber kits needed?

Back