Ticking under load from my 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ticking under load from my 5.0

Precision

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
I bought a well maintained 2000 5.0 w 112k a couple months ago. When I put my foot on tue gas I get a ticking under load that increases with the rpms. Idle is good, power is good... everything seems good aside from the annoying noise I don't get at idle. I triwd marvel mystery oil and 3k later still no change. Should I be worried?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exhaust leak?
Very common on this engine. Carefully look for cracks in the manifolds. Check the exhaust manifold bolts, make sure they are all there.
Check the egr tube on the passenger side manifold for cracks, leaking. The exhaust manifold gasket might be blown.
Check the 2 rubber hoses on the dpfe sensor to egr tube. It is a PITA to remove them but you really need to, in order to check them well.
The dpfe could be blown out-but I would assume a code would be thrown.

It may help if you can get someone to rev the engine while you listen under the hood.

A seafoam treatment makes a lot of smoke. The reason I throw this in, it may help to find an exhaust leak. ;)

If the ticking is not an exhaust leak, and only appears under load then it is probably in the lower end if the engine, which would be very concerning.

However, and exhaust leak get louder with more throttle.

Hope this helps

Exhaust leak?
Very common on this engine. Carefully look for cracks in the manifolds. Check the exhaust manifold bolts, make sure they are all there.
Check the egr tube on the passenger side manifold for cracks, leaking. The exhaust manifold gasket might be blown.
Check the 2 rubber hoses on the dpfe sensor to egr tube. It is a PITA to remove them but you really need to, in order to check them well.
The dpfe could be blown out-but I would assume a code would be thrown.

It may help if you can get someone to rev the engine while you listen under the hood.

A seafoam treatment makes a lot of smoke. The reason I throw this in, it may help to find an exhaust leak. ;)

If the ticking is not an exhaust leak, and only appears under load then it is probably in the lower end if the engine, which would be very concerning.

However, and exhaust leak get louder with more throttle.

Hope this helps
It does get louder under accel and doesn't tick at idle

Almost definitely an exhaust leak, if you read around you'll notice almost all 5.0 owners have the issue.

Yours is probably a loose manifold bolt or cracked EGR tube (you have the cast iron headers that don't typically crack like the earlier models).

It does get louder under accel and doesn't tick at idle

Are you sure it's not pinging? I thought mine was ticking/exhaust leak at first but it turned out to be pinging.

It sounds really stupid, but check all of your spark plugs. I heard a ticking and it was a spark plug that was just sitting there, but not screwed in...the engine was purring despite...check all of them out. :)

Back