2014 Limited Order - indefinite quality hold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Limited Order - indefinite quality hold

OKC_Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Yukon, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Limited 4WD
Back in July I ordered a 2014 Limited. Blend date was 8/10; car delivered to OKC on 8/28. About 10 days later, my dealer looks into why the car wasn't on his lot yet and finds out its on a quality hold and requires an inspection prior to release to the dealership. The inspection took place late last week.

We just found out there were no less than 20 cars Ford had on hold - one of which failed inspection. That was our car.

I have no idea, and neither does my General Manager, what the issue is. We don't know what will be done to fix the car. It might be something trivial, or it might be something major, but since Ford won't let it off the rail yard my presumption is the problem is major.

I've decided to wait until I have clarity on what the next step will be, but if this car needs to go back to Chicago, I will not take delivery of it. The dealer has already offered to submit an order for a new build.

Any thoughts?

edit: just received notice from my dealer that he's ordering a new one. The current car will not be sold to me, possibly not even accepted by the dealer.
back to square one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...just received notice from my dealer that he's ordering a new one...

Hi OKC_Explorer,

I'm glad to see that things are moving in the right direction. When you get your new order information from your dealer, shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to keep an eye on its status. :)

Crystal

TWO Explorers on order now

The saga continues:

Our first car, the one that was on the indefinite quality hold, did in fact get sent back to Chicago. We have no idea why. There were 20 cars here at the OKC rail depot that got held back for quality checks. Ours was the only car that didn't get released.

Our dealer immediately stepped up and ordered another Ex to exactly the same specs as our first. That car should be getting a blend date very shortly, with anticipated delivery sometime the first 1/2 of December.

Meanwhile... the first car got *something* rectified in Chicago and is now reportedly headed back to OKC again.

The upshot of all this is that we now have TWO Explorer Limited's inbound to OKC to arrive approximately the same time at our dealer. Today, the GM there told us to simply choose which car we prefer. Let me tell you, this is one fantastic dealership. (Joe Cooper Ford, Yukon OK)

So the plan now is to thoroughly test drive and inspect both cars. Perhaps the mechanics at our dealer can find out what got worked on. At any rate, its a win-win for us.

I'm guessing we're probably the only one here on Explorer Forum who actually have two cars spec built, and scheduled for delivery at the same time! Beat that!!

well.... our 2nd try at ordering an explorer is in process now as our XLT made it to the shipping spot in Atlanta before going on hold and then being returned to the factory for an unknown reason.

well.... our 2nd try at ordering an explorer is in process now as our XLT made it to the shipping spot in Atlanta before going on hold and then being returned to the factory for an unknown reason.

I've heard these can happen for all kinds of reasons. One example I was given years ago, was if they found that an automatic wrench on the line was supposed to torque some bolts to 50, but instead was only torqueing some of them to 40, they may hold all vehicles produced during the suspect time while they manually check those bolts.

Back