HID Install +Pics - Step by Step | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Install +Pics - Step by Step

The only thing I am unsure of at this point is the connector to the ballast(s). I don't know if they are using the same connector. I'm going to go to a local dealer and test drive a limited with HID's so I get a closer look. All together, I can do the factory HID install for about $275, probably a little less.

Thanks for finding out about this mod.

If this works I will duplicate it as well.

Please make a list of part numbers so we can do the same mod

Maybe a photo "How to" like Motoarzan's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keeping everything factory looking is nice but if people want a small budget HID kit that works perfectly fine i recommend DDMTuning. I have them in my 14 sport and i have run them for about two years in other vehicles. I also know several people who run them as well with no problems. The kits are MUCH cheaper in comparison.

As far as DRL's go. I installed the coolbulb kit. After I did that I went to the dealership and asked them to turn the orange hazard light on for DRL's. The Limited package with HID uses this setting. It uses the orange turning lights as the DRL's. Worked great. Now during the day my HID's are off and only turn on when the headlamps come on when it's dark. :)

Instructions I gave them from this forum:

1. Hookup laptop for BCM options
2. Verify VIN
3. Exterior Lighting
4. Daytime Running Lights
5. Ok to bypass warning about unauthorized changes
6. Option Daytime Running Lights - choose to enable
7. Option Daytime Running Lights - None/Parking Lamps(HID)/Headlamps(Halogen) - choose Parking Lamps

Did they charge you for this change?

Welcome to the Forum Canuckguy.:wavey:
Another member from Ontario.:):thumbsup:

Happy motoring.

Peter

Keeping everything factory looking is nice but if people want a small budget HID kit that works perfectly fine i recommend DDMTuning. I have them in my 14 sport and i have run them for about two years in other vehicles. I also know several people who run them as well with no problems. The kits are MUCH cheaper in comparison.

This DDM Tuning kit was it plug and play?

They were going to charge 45 dollars. Buy waived it when I questioned them on it. Seeing as we have just purchased over a 140k in vehicles in the last year they saw it my way.

Does the same coolbulbs kit work on the XLT or is it a different item #? I am fed up with the poor visibility of my stocks on these rural country roads. I need a change! I hope your step by step instruction's can help a gal who knows nothing about HID conversions.

This DDM Tuning kit was it plug and play?

Yes it was. Even the fogs are plug and play unlike the coolbulbs kit. Not sure why coolbulbs cheaped out on that considering the price and DDM Tuning is so much cheaper and it's just simple plug ins.

Yes it was. Even the fogs are plug and play unlike the coolbulbs kit. Not sure why coolbulbs cheaped out on that considering the price and DDM Tuning is so much cheaper and it's just simple plug ins.

Just want to confirm what you purchased since we both have 2014 SPORT's

55W
HB3

None of the other harnesses or brackets

Good to go?

Just want to confirm what you purchased since we both have 2014 SPORT's

55W
HB3

None of the other harnesses or brackets

Good to go?

No, you can run the 55w if you want them extremely bright but i went with the 35w. The 35w is already a good bit brighter so i didn't see the need.

If you go 35w or 55w is up to you. All you need is the kit, no extras. You can mount them with simple 3m double sided tape so no need for the brackets.
The harnesses are only if you fear the stock wires not being able to provide the power to run them. Seeing as how the explorer has hids on some models it is not needed as they all run the same wires and there are no issues.

Last the bulb you have selected is incorrect. You need a 9005 bulb.
This is exactly what i ordered.
DDM HID Kit With Slim Ballast
DDM HID Kit, 35W, 9005, 4500K
Wattage: 35 Watt
Bulb Color: 4500K
Bulb Type: 9005

Are you guys happy with the quality of the DDM kits, I had them on my Volvo C30 and ballasts/bulbs went every 6-8 months. I do think voltage issues etc had something to do with it but my wife is nervous about me buying the same kits again.

Don't go 55W. The 35W HID's are already 300% brighter than stock halogen.
Plus, as touchofevil said, the OEM wire harness and circuit may not be able to handle the increased current on 55w whereas we know the Ex will handle 35w as some have HID already.
I got the Coolbulbs and are very pleased with them as they have the slim "digital" ballasts and were all plug and play for the headlights on a 9005 bulb. The fogs are an H11 and coolbulbs doesn't have the one plug and play connected connect that attached to the OEM harness...only the spade terminals you jam in and wrap with electrical tape. For me is wasn't a big deal, for others that might be a deal breaker on the fogs.

One thing though. I went with a 6k color temp bulb as this is pure, pure white and has that crisper effect and will also stand out from other vehicles. 4.5k will have yellow in the spectrum and look like every other stock bulb out there only brighter.
I also went with 8k on my fogs (not for actual superior visibility in fog for the 1% of driving, but more for aesthetics). The slight blue in the spectrum really stands out and creates a nice contrast to the headlights. See my other write up.. HID Fog Install step by step +picks.
To each his own but I'm please with what I got.

..........One thing though. I went with a 6k color temp bulb as this is pure, pure white and has that crisper effect and will also stand out from other vehicles. 4.5k will have yellow in the spectrum and look like every other stock bulb out there only brighter.
Are you saying the bulbs on Explorers with HID look like every other stock bulb? It is my understanding the stock HID is 4300k and I don't notice any yellow at all. Most charts state that 4300k is as close to natural daylight as you can get. Going up from there the light becomes slighly more blue with each level.

Peter

No, you can run the 55w if you want them extremely bright but i went with the 35w. The 35w is already a good bit brighter so i didn't see the need.

If you go 35w or 55w is up to you. All you need is the kit, no extras. You can mount them with simple 3m double sided tape so no need for the brackets.
The harnesses are only if you fear the stock wires not being able to provide the power to run them. Seeing as how the explorer has hids on some models it is not needed as they all run the same wires and there are no issues.

Last the bulb you have selected is incorrect. You need a 9005 bulb.
This is exactly what i ordered.
DDM HID Kit With Slim Ballast
DDM HID Kit, 35W, 9005, 4500K
Wattage: 35 Watt
Bulb Color: 4500K
Bulb Type: 9005

Thank you I will order the exact same kit, I have no need to use 55W, just wasn't sure. I will stay 4500K as my goal is to stay as close to stock Limited HID's as possible.

Where I go its urban well lit, I think if you travelled through dark unlit rural areas you would need brighter.

Are you saying the bulbs on Explorers with HID look like every other stock bulb? It is my understanding the stock HID is 4300k and I don't notice any yellow at all. Most charts state that 4300k is as close to natural daylight as you can get. Going up from there the light becomes slighly more blue with each level.

Peter

4300 is "not" natural daylight. 6k is the color temperature on a cloudy day and 10k is the color temperature of direct sunlight from the sky, no clouds.
However; what we see and "perceive" is different based on many variables such as at night, during the day, inside outside environment ect.
Everyone is stuck on this 4300...only because that's what we are used to! We are accustomed to seeing lots of varying degrees of yellow between 2500k to 4500K in our offices, home and factory light fixtures for our entire lives.
Let me ask you, what's the first thing you do when you're trying to read a page or look at a picture properly? You go to the window instinctively. This is because you get the best color rendering from your rods and cones in the natural daylight… The daylight we evolved in over 10's of thousands of years which is 6K+
Fact: humans see better under the color temperatures of daylight that we evolved in far better than the artificial yellow spectrumed light we've been accustomed due to the limitations of technology and cost.

4300 is "not" natural daylight. 6k is the color temperature on a cloudy day and 10k is the color temperature of direct sunlight from the sky, no clouds.
However; what we see and "perceive" is different based on many variables such as at night, during the day, inside outside environment ect.
Everyone is stuck on this 4300...only because that's what we are used to! We are accustomed to seeing lots of varying degrees of yellow between 2500k to 4500K in our offices, home and factory light fixtures for our entire lives.
Let me ask you, what's the first thing you do when you're trying to read a page or look at a picture properly? You go to the window instinctively. This is because you get the best color rendering from your rods and cones in the natural daylight… The daylight we evolved in over 10's of thousands of years which is 6K+
Fact: humans see better under the color temperatures of daylight that we evolved in far better than the artificial yellow spectrumed light we've been accustomed due to the limitations of technology and cost.
Not being an expert in this field I can't argue the facts. I only go with what I read. After doing some more searching it seems that most articles agree that 5500k is the whitest possible light. Comparable to mid day sunlight.
http://blog.accessfixtures.com/kelvin-temperatures

Peter

The only thing I am unsure of at this point is the connector to the ballast(s). I don't know if they are using the same connector. I'm going to go to a local dealer and test drive a limited with HID's so I get a closer look. All together, I can do the factory HID install for about $275, probably a little less.

I've been thinking of doing this myself. I have a 4300k aftermarket install and not very pleased with the output. It seems as though they're weak. If you happen to get more info and end up doing this mod, please PM me and/or post it here.

One thing I did notice is that some people say its a Phillips D3S bulb, but I've seen it say Osram. Which are the OEM D3S bulbs used in the limiteds?

I've been thinking of doing this myself. I have a 4300k aftermarket install and not very pleased with the output. It seems as though they're weak. If you happen to get more info and end up doing this mod, please PM me and/or post it here.

One thing I did notice is that some people say its a Phillips D3S bulb, but I've seen it say Osram. Which are the OEM D3S bulbs used in the limiteds?
The Owner's Guide doesn't mention that. It just shows D3S.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you guys happy with the quality of the DDM kits, I had them on my Volvo C30 and ballasts/bulbs went every 6-8 months. I do think voltage issues etc had something to do with it but my wife is nervous about me buying the same kits again.

I have them on three vehicles now and i know ALLOT of people with GM's running them. It's the go to kit for most GM owners.
I can count at least 5 people i personally know who has been running the DDM kits with no problems myself included. The longest i've had a kit so far is just over 2 years.

Back