SD Card for Navigation went bad??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SD Card for Navigation went bad???

bbundy

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Took Explorer to dealership for a separate issue yesterday. When we left the dealership, we got the message that said bad SD card. Not thinking too much about it, and since this has happened every now and then, we continued on. We also noticed that all the icons for all functions on the touch screen (radio, nav, climate control, and phone sync) were a little different, so I am assuming they upgraded our software while it was in the shop. This morning the card kept saying bad sd card. I ran it up to the dealership, they put a new card in, and the navigation popped right on. They diagnosed it as a bad SD card, and I bought a new one since we are out of warranty.

My question is did the software upgrade make our SD card not usable anymore, or make our SD card obsolete? It was working fine before yesterday (except a few isolated incidences), and then wasn't working?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What version of Sync did you have prior to taking it in? If they indeed updated to the newest version, a new A4 navigation card is needed. The old A3 card will not work with the new update.

If an update was done, Ford and their dealers are supposed to supply the new A4 card for free, regardless if you are in or out of warranty.

I believe the latest version is 3.6.2 which requires the A4 card.

That is exactly what happened!!!! I sent Ford and email asking about it. Sad to know there are dealerships out there doing this.

ls973800, thank you for the information.

I follow several different Ford forums (Edge, F150, and this one) and this isn't that common of a problem, but it does happen too often. Some dealers try to charge for the car which is supposed to be included for free.

Hope you get reimbursed and enjoy the new update.

Took Explorer to dealership for a separate issue yesterday. When we left the dealership, we got the message that said bad SD card. Not thinking too much about it, and since this has happened every now and then, we continued on. We also noticed that all the icons for all functions on the touch screen (radio, nav, climate control, and phone sync) were a little different, so I am assuming they upgraded our software while it was in the shop. This morning the card kept saying bad sd card. I ran it up to the dealership, they put a new card in, and the navigation popped right on. They diagnosed it as a bad SD card, and I bought a new one since we are out of warranty.

My question is did the software upgrade make our SD card not usable anymore, or make our SD card obsolete? It was working fine before yesterday (except a few isolated incidences), and then wasn't working?
If you required a new A4 card that means that you were 2 updates behind. Version 3.5.1 is the one that required the A4 card which also works with the latest 3.6.2 version. Warranty has nothing to do with the upgrades and you should not have had to pay for the card if it replaced the obsolete A3 card.

As indicated in my PM, I moved your thread to the IVT Forum. Perhaps Rebecca can help with this.

Peter

Thank you for the information. I will give Ford a couple of days to reply to me as well, then off to the dealership I will go.

The dealership called me this morning, and they are going to refund me the $100 for the card. Thank you Ford and Joe Cooper Ford service manager Darcy for taking care of this.

I believe the latest version is 3.6.2 which requires the A4 card.

Hey, ls973800,

Just to clarify, the A3 card also works with version 3.6.2. :)

The dealership called me this morning, and they are going to refund me the $100 for the card. Thank you Ford and Joe Cooper Ford service manager Darcy for taking care of this.

Sorry I'm late on this thread, bbundy, but I'm glad everything got taken care of. Don't hesitate to shoot me a PM if you have questions or concerns.

Rebecca

Hey, ls973800,

Just to clarify, the A3 card also works with version 3.6.2. :)

Rebecca
That is indeed interesting since the 3.5.1 upgrade required changing to the A4 card.

Peter

Yes, V3.5.1 required the A4 SD card, but v3.6.2 is compatible with both the A3 and A4 SD cards.

Rebecca
Thanks for the clarification Rebecca. Learned something new today.:biggthump

Peter

Does anyone happen to know if copying the contents from the OEM SD card to an Ultra Card or better would speed things up. I know that my SLR camera will write a 20meg image to an ultra card in less than a second. I was just curious if the system would even recognize a copy of the image and if things would run any faster.

Rebecca,

Thank you for the quick reply. So that means I can't even make a back up to keep in the car and the original in the house for safe keeping? Hmm..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back