2013 Blinker / turn signal...am I the only one?? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Blinker / turn signal...am I the only one??

Anyone having this issue needs to go to the dealership. I am in the process of being refunded by my dealer. After asking them multiple times what was wrong, I found the post on how to fix it here, I bought one to fix rather then messing up the current one. Well, unbeknownst to me the new one doesn't have this problem. You can tell the product has been updated as some of the internal plastic had changed colors and it's now smooth as silk to use. When my wife tested it,I had to stop her from pushing because she didn't realize she already put it the whole way down. I noticed the number on the sticker was slightly different to. The one I got was manufactured on 8/2/13. Seems like another issue ford fixed without telling anyone. Thus was purchased from fordparts.com so it was right from their warehouse too. I will post pictures when I get them off my phone tonight. The dealership didn't believe me until I changed it in front of them, literally. The GM was not happy with hs service manager that day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone having this issue needs to go to the dealership. I am in the process of being refunded by my dealer. After asking them multiple times what was wrong, I found the post on how to fix it here, I bought one to fix rather then messing up the current one. Well, unbeknownst to me the new one doesn't have this problem. You can tell the product has been updated as some of the internal plastic had changed colors and it's now smooth as silk to use. When my wife tested it,I had to stop her from pushing because she didn't realize she already put it the whole way down. I noticed the number on the sticker was slightly different to. The one I got was manufactured on 8/2/13. Seems like another issue ford fixed without telling anyone. Thus was purchased from fordparts.com so it was right from their warehouse too. I will post pictures when I get them off my phone tonight. The dealership didn't believe me until I changed it in front of them, literally. The GM was not happy with hs service manager that day.
Welcome to the Forum 4sfactot.:wavey:
Glad you were able to get this resolved. As maliboo74 posted, the dealer should take care of this issue for anyone that has it. For anyone looking to get it changed, it might be an idea to print a copy of that post and take it with you to the dealer. Don't know what they did in the 2013 model to introduce this issue. It appeared to be fine in all previous model years. Don't forget to charge them for your labour as well as the part. ;):thumbsup:

Peter

Never

I don't think I've ever hit the high beams while hitting the blinkers but I do agree the half blinks should be longer depending on situation or driving style. I just fully engage blinkers if I can't make a move right away

I don't think I've ever hit the high beams while hitting the blinkers but I do agree the half blinks should be longer depending on situation or driving style. I just fully engage blinkers if I can't make a move right away

You don't hit your high beams because you are in a 2011.. This problem affects 2013's (and maybe late 2012's)

I am new to this forum and a new owner of a previously loved 2013 Ford Explorer. I have been having issues with "flashing" my brights intermittently while using my right turn signal. I've even had a police officer pull me over stating that he thought I was trying to signal to him that I was in distress. My car has 23k and is currently sitting at my local dealership. They cannot replicate the issue, nor can they find anything from Ford indicating this is an issue. So, for now, I have no resolution to the issue. I have sent the customer service rep. a PM with my info and forwarded the service department's foreman to this thread. Does anyone have any further advice?

I am new to this forum and a new owner of a previously loved 2013 Ford Explorer. I have been having issues with "flashing" my brights intermittently while using my right turn signal. I've even had a police officer pull me over stating that he thought I was trying to signal to him that I was in distress. My car has 23k and is currently sitting at my local dealership. They cannot replicate the issue, nor can they find anything from Ford indicating this is an issue. So, for now, I have no resolution to the issue. I have sent the customer service rep. a PM with my info and forwarded the service department's foreman to this thread. Does anyone have any further advice?
It is all in the way that you put use the lever. You don't want to put any kind of 'lift' pressure on it. In almost 3 years of driving my Explorer I have yet to run into this issue. It doesn't seem to be much of a problem. I think it is just a matter of getting used to the way it operates, which I don't particularly like.

Peter

I complained of the same issue, I explained to my service manager that this problem was being fixed by Ford, that numerous here have had it fixed. He contacted Ford who directed him to replace the indicator lever (multifunction switch). The new one is smooth like butter. PM Crystal (FordService) and have her get this done for you. It's a safety hazard, I explained it to the service manager as I've already been involved in a couple of road rage scenarios due to accidental flashing of oncoming traffic.

It's definitely a safety hazard, if they still refuse to do anything about it, threatening legal action usually will persuade them.

It is all in the way that you put use the lever. You don't want to put any kind of 'lift' pressure on it. In almost 3 years of driving my Explorer I have yet to run into this issue. It doesn't seem to be much of a problem. I think it is just a matter of getting used to the way it operates, which I don't particularly like.

Peter

Peter, the 2013 has an issue w/ binding on the lever from the factory. It's very stiff/notchy going into the second position. My 2011 didn't experience this problem, but my 2013 Sport caused many accidental flashes of oncoming traffic.

Peter, the 2013 has an issue w/ binding on the lever from the factory. It's very stiff/notchy going into the second position. My 2011 didn't experience this problem, but my 2013 Sport caused many accidental flashes of oncoming traffic.
Yes, I'm aware of that but the poster didn't say anything about the lever being hard to use since he didn't mention having an issue with a left turn. I therefore thought it was one that didn't have that particular issue.

Peter

...I have sent the customer service rep. a PM with my info and forwarded the service department's foreman to this thread...

I got your PM and responded, poppylove2013; let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I met with the service manager today to drive around and "replicate" the problem. Of course it only happened once & he insisted it was my technique. (I've been driving for well over 20 years, w/o this problem). So no resolution until the service department can replicate themselves. I'm unhappy with that "resolution" as it's clearly an issue. Just switch it out with a 2012 switch & call it good. Incidentally, my husband drives a 2012 F350 with the same mechanism and we've NEVER had an issue.

I met with the service manager today to drive around and "replicate" the problem. Of course it only happened once & he insisted it was my technique. (I've been driving for well over 20 years, w/o this problem). So no resolution until the service department can replicate themselves. I'm unhappy with that "resolution" as it's clearly an issue. Just switch it out with a 2012 switch & call it good. Incidentally, my husband drives a 2012 F350 with the same mechanism and we've NEVER had an issue.
I'm afraid I tend to agree with the service manager that it is the 'technique'. I've been driving over 50 years and this is the first time I've had this type of signaling system. As I've posted several times, I don't like it.

Peter

I'm afraid I tend to agree with the service manager that it is the 'technique'. I've been driving over 50 years and this is the first time I've had this type of signaling system. As I've posted several times, I don't like it.

Peter

This just isn't true. The 2013 switch binds significantly causing the described issue. If some of us have had it replaced and the issue is resolved how can it be considered a driving technique problem.

You don't drive an affected vehicle, so you can't really make that judgement in regard to the posters technique. They said it did happen once during the test drive, that should be enough to apply the known fix.

I would go to another dealer, flashing brights accidentally is a major safety hazard

This just isn't true. The 2013 switch binds significantly causing the described issue. If some of us have had it replaced and the issue is resolved how can it be considered a driving technique problem.

You don't drive an affected vehicle, so you can't really make that judgement in regard to the posters technique. They said it did happen once during the test drive, that should be enough to apply the known fix.

I would go to another dealer, flashing brights accidentally is a major safety hazard
As I have said before the poster has not mentioned anything about a binding or 'notchy' lever. Not all 2013 models had the issue anyway so you are also possibly jumping to an incorrect conclusion. Given the current info supplied by the poster, I stand by my statement that it is like the technique being used.

Peter

As I have said before the poster has not mentioned anything about a binding or 'notchy' lever. Not all 2013 models had the issue anyway so you are also possibly jumping to an incorrect conclusion. Given the current info supplied by the poster, I stand by my statement that it is like the technique being used.

Peter

Hmmm the poster describes the same symptoms as the rest of us (accidentally flashing brights while trying to use the indicator), and drives a known affected model,but I'm sure it's totally unrelated.. Cause that makes perfect sense. I'm sure the poster doesn't know how to use a blinker, and there's absolutely no way it's the same issue we are experiencing, I must be jumping to conclusions.

To the original poster. go to another dealer or follow up with crystal. I can provide you with paperwork showing the fix for the issue of needed. I wholly believe you know how to drive :)

Hmmm the poster describes the same symptoms as the rest of us (accidentally flashing brights while trying to use the indicator), and drives a known affected model,but I'm sure it's totally unrelated.. Cause that makes perfect sense. I'm sure the poster doesn't know how to use a blinker, and there's absolutely no way it's the same issue we are experiencing, I must be jumping to conclusions.

To the original poster. go to another dealer or follow up with crystal. I can provide you with paperwork showing the fix for the issue of needed. I wholly believe you know how to drive :)
There are plenty of posts in this thread that mention the accidental flashing of the hi beams that have nothing to do with a binding or sticking lever. This signal setup is a new design to me and I'm sure, to many others as well. It takes a bit of getting used to. Just because the poster describes symptoms similar to what you believe to be the issue doesn't necessarily make it so.

Peter

After a 2nd visit amd a nice convo, theybreplaced it. It is like butter now. Much much better

After a 2nd visit amd a nice convo, theybreplaced it. It is like butter now. Much much better
Now that it moves so smoothly be careful that you don't snap it off.:D:thumbsup:

Peter

Thats exactly what happened on the first day. I foound my self not using my left turn signal as it was so hard to ise. Then I remebered it was all good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, maybe its cuz I'm a girl and my hands are small, but with the blinker on the 2013 (and maybe previous models, not sure because I have never driven them) it has the two "settings" for lack of a better word...half way pushed and it blinks 3 times and then you actually click it up/down and it stays on until you turn... Am I the only one that flashes my brights at people all the time trying to turn it all the way on!! LOL. I have only had it a couple of weeks and I LOVE my Explorer, but I'm sure half the town is always wondering why I am flashing my brights at them, LOL!!
I've had my 2013 for 9 years and the turn signal lever has been worked on 3 times and it still seems jacked up to me.

Back