Thinking about removing chrome overlay | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking about removing chrome overlay

L05Tangel

Reaction score
City, State
Clearwater, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2013 XLT model in sterling grey and I am thinking about taking off the chrome grille and mirror overlays. My husband and I want to plastidip the stock grille black and possibly sell the chrome set to put towards a roof rack because I'm saving up for a paddleboard.

My question is it is mounted by 3M tape correct? We got it from the dealership so I doubt it's any sort of screws to attach it. Should we be concerned about any damage to the polished grill underneath? What is he easiest most effective way to remove it? We have a heat gun but I worry it may warp the chrome.

If we do this anyone interested in the pieces?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2013 XLT model in sterling grey and I am thinking about taking off the chrome grille and mirror overlays. My husband and I want to plastidip the stock grille black and possibly sell the chrome set to put towards a roof rack because I'm saving up for a paddleboard.

My question is it is mounted by 3M tape correct? We got it from the dealership so I doubt it's any sort of screws to attach it. Should we be concerned about any damage to the polished grill underneath? What is he easiest most effective way to remove it? We have a heat gun but I worry it may warp the chrome.

If we do this anyone interested in the pieces?
Perhaps it's just me but I find your post a little confusing. By chrome grille do you mean the FORD emblem?
I don't believe the XLT or any other model has a chrome grille. They have chrome bars that run horizontally from one side to the other. I don't really know what mirror overlays are. As far as I know, the mirrors do not have overlays of any kind.
If you are referring to the Ford emblem on the front grille, I'm quite sure that is held on with screws or some other fastener. There is a picture in one of the threads that showed the grille removed to that the emblem could be taken off. The back one I believe is just a stick on. You may also want to check out;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380840

FYI, in order to sell any items on this Forum, you have to be an Elite member.

Peter

Sorry for the confusion I was typing my post while watching my crazy 1 year old, it was a bit confusing after re reading it.

I don't know how to post pictures from my phone but what I'm talking about is an actual chrome grille that goes over the stock grille. Here is an ebay listing of what I'm talking about:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/200971695854

The dealership put this on the car as an option but it wasn't one I necessarily wanted but they didn't have any other sterling grey XLT on the lot so we figured why not it made it different. There is also chrome over the side view mirrors as well. From looking at the mirrors we can see what looks like tape to hold it on so I was wondering if it was the same for the grille as well.

My biggest concern is that the tape might ruin or peel off the stock polished grille that is underneath. Since it isn't a limited I know it's not color matched paint.

Also how do you become an elite member? Is it based of post count or do you contribute to the site? Been around forums for a while now just new to this one.

Also how do you become an elite member? Is it based of post count or do you contribute to the site? Been around forums for a while now just new to this one.
It is fee based. It is $20 per year but then there is sometimes a deal (Black Friday?) when you can get or renew for 2 years for the price of one. For membership info click on Elite Membership at the top of the page or use this link; http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo... "Serious Explorations"®&txt=Elite Membership

Peter

Sorry for the confusion I was typing my post while watching my crazy 1 year old, it was a bit confusing after re reading it.

I don't know how to post pictures from my phone but what I'm talking about is an actual chrome grille that goes over the stock grille. Here is an ebay listing of what I'm talking about:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/200971695854

The dealership put this on the car as an option but it wasn't one I necessarily wanted but they didn't have any other sterling grey XLT on the lot so we figured why not it made it different. There is also chrome over the side view mirrors as well. From looking at the mirrors we can see what looks like tape to hold it on so I was wondering if it was the same for the grille as well.

My biggest concern is that the tape might ruin or peel off the stock polished grille that is underneath. Since it isn't a limited I know it's not color matched paint.
Okay, now I know what you are referring to. Check out the following thread on the grille which appears to be a 'snap on' according to one post. Don't know about the mirror caps though.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381331&highlight=chrome+grille
It might be an idea to send the poster who installed his chrome grille a private message as to suggestions on removing it.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Peter

Thank you very much I'll send him a message =)

Back