Not another V8 swap thread (N2Ford) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not another V8 swap thread (N2Ford)

RangerSVT

Reaction score
City, State
Indian Mound, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 V8 Sport Trac 4x4
This is David's (N2Ford) 01 sport trac V8 swap thread. It will be getting a 4406 electric tcase installed at the same time. It will also be getting a disc brake upgrade as well as a limited slip carrier installed. My life has had some changes recently, so I'm limited to only a couple of hours or so per day during the week to work on this, so it'll be slow but hopefully steady. David is not in a rush to get this completed, so I won't be rushing this swap, it'll be done correctly and with detail, just as if it were my own truck. I won't go into detail on the removal from the donor, but I will mention what is needed from the donor, and will go into detail when installing the engine into the trac. Here is the donor explorer, a 98 AWD involved in a light front end collision, 98k on the clock...

IMAG1296.jpg

The engine...

IMAG1297.jpg

The recipient, a Job 2 2001 sport trac 4x4...

IMAG1298.jpg

I originally wanted to start the engine in the donor to make sure everything operated as it should. Since I was missing the radiator, the trans cooling lines were exposed. So I chose to skip this step, and started by removing the front clip. The core support had extensive damage, so removing the core support made it easier to remove the engine....

IMAG1299.jpg

Recently I had to change the heater core in my trac, and found you have to remove the heater box in the engine compartment to change it. I realized that it only takes 4 bolts to remove the heater box, and gives you ample room to pull the motor. My numerous previous swaps I've removed and installed the motor with the box in place, this is the first time I'm removing the box to perform the swap, and I think I'll be doing it this way from now on. It takes less than 5 minutes to remove all the bolts and wiggle the box out, and all the bolts have easy access. Here is a shot of the box removed, and the clearance I now have. Notice some mice have took residence inside the cab. I'll have to closely inspect the dash wiring harness when I go to pull it...

IMAG1301.jpg

After removing the heater box, I got a closer look at the passenger side engine bay, and I found this. I'll have to see if I can use the tube from the trac's 4.0, otherwise I'll need to order one...

IMAG1302.jpg

Over on the driver side, I removed the entire engine bay harness at the firewall. The engine harness stays with the motor....

IMAG1304.jpg

Here is the complete engine bay harness, from the driver side firewall connectors around to the heater box connections...

IMAG1303.jpg

Here is where I stopped for today, and how it looks.

IMAG1305.jpg

The fuel lines were disconnected, power steering pressure and return lines, the battery hold down brackets to the frame, the cruise module, and the heater hose lines. All thats left up top is the throttle cable from the pedal, as it'll be reused. Down under both driveshafts, the trans crossmember, shifter cable and the exhaust need to be disconnected and the motor, trans, and tcase can be removed in one piece. I plan to have the drivetrain and the rear axle for tomorrow's progress. Stay tuned...

SVT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im keeping a close eye on this. Progress looks great. Whats your expected turn around time for this swap ?

Looking good, your doing a great job, keep it up.

:popcorn::dpchug:

I'll be watching this closely as I'm doing a 351w/C6/1356 manual transfer case swap into my '03 ST. I know it won't be the exact swap but a lot of the detailed pictures and info will be greatly extremely helpful to me.

Great job so far man.

:popcorn::dpchug:

I'll be watching this closely as I'm doing a 351w/C6/1356 manual transfer case swap into my '03 ST. I know it won't be the exact swap but a lot of the detailed pictures and info will be greatly extremely helpful to me.

Great job so far man.

The 351w and the 302, iirc, share the same block mounting bosses, so you can use the stock explorer mount plates and motor mounts, your trans crossmember you will have to fab as the C6 is shorter. I'd run the E4OD if it were me...

SVT

Yeah overdrive would be a bonus with the 351w. As for the Sport Trac 5.0 swap are you eliminating Pats, or installing Pats B from the donor? I assume your going to be using a tuner with the donor ABS module/G-sensor to correct for gear ratio and/or tire size?

Thanks for that info, I'll look around and see if I can find a E4OD. I mainly bought the whole truck for the motor and transfercase, I would rather have a 4 speed overdrive trans so it's easier on the highway.

Well I guess I should chime in since its my truck. Thanks to RangerSVT for working on this project. I have had about ten Explorers/Mountys over the years. I have had 2 V-8 models and the rest V-6's. I had another ST a few years back and have come back to them about a year ago. I felt like the V-8 into the ST would be a great combo for size and power. I have had and have several F150's but they are a little big for my needs. I have bought another ST with a bad engine with the plans of the engine from the red ST that's getting the V-8 going into it also with RangerSVT's help. While the engine is out of the red one it will get chains, guides and fix any leaks. It runs good and does not use oil but does have a little of the chain rattle. The white ST is pictured below as I am getting the things I can do in shape while it waits for the engine. The engine broke the front chain it appears and knocked a hole in the valve cover and sounds like it has no compression when it turns over. Anyway thanks to all on this forum and ttbit for the ideas and helpful sticky thread.

Attachments

• 0215141758.jpg
    0215141758.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,313
  • 0215141757.jpg
    0215141757.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,265

Is that white Sport Trac a 2001 also? It looks like a Job 1 model.

It is a job 1 which will require some changes to the job 2 engine for proper fitment. Not exactly sure what all will have to be changed or upgraded for the job 1 truck to have the job 2 engine work. From what I can tell its mainly valve covers, intake and some wiring.

Yeah I would just swap the valve covers, intake, top end stuff over to the Job 2 engine, and keep the Job 1 pcm, that way your not having to swap from Pats B to E, or swap out transmissions for the one with the extra sensor that came mid 2001. Also keeping it Job 1 will make it easier later for a 5.0 swap if wanted. I rarely ever see Job 1 Sport Tracs makes me wonder how many were made before the switch to Job 2 mid year.

This was my first ST, I really liked it and opened my big mouth when someone said what would you take for it, next day it was gone. It was a job 1 also, I had to put a trans in it at 70k.

Attachments

• 100_0449 (100x75).jpg
    100_0449 (100x75).jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,229

Nice Sport Trac, I really like the Gen 1 and Gen 2 models, I wish the Gen 1 would have came with a V8 option like the Gen 2, but being able to swap in a 5.0, 4R70W is a bonus. Are you planning any mods to your 5.0 Sport Trac? Running true duals would be easy, plus you can get the dual in/dual out mufflers that act as a h or x pipe as well.

The muffler will be one of the first mods, I had a dual in/out on my Mounty with turn downs at the rear axle. It was a little loud but sounded good, I want people to know its a V-8. I will see from there, cold air intake, underdrives and other bolt ons at first.

Yeah the 5.0 H.O and 5.0 GT40-GT40P respond pretty well to bolt ons. I know Magnaflow, and Dynomax make dual in/dual out mufflers.There is another muffler company also called Jones Exhaust, there max flow series actually outflow the magnaflows, they are stainless steel and cost less as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Won't the dash harnesses be a little different? I know in the Explorer from year to year certain years the wiring changed, and also the Explorer has 3 bulkhead connectors at the firewall, where the Sport Trac has 2, the Gem modules will also be different, and the Explorer harness won't have the connectors for the 4x4 module in the passenger kick panel.

Unless your talking just about removing the Pats harness complete from the donor and swapping it in the Sport Trac which would make more sense.

Back