Weird problem, I'll try to explain it, any help appreciated | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird problem, I'll try to explain it, any help appreciated

jdog0411

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT V-8
Hello all,

I have a 2003 Explorer XLT V-8. I have a strange problem with it that first manifested itself last winter, and then went away and now has manifested itself again.

A couple of weeks ago, during the first bout of colder weather around here, I started the Explorer and it did it's usual thing in colder weather where the engine just sounds "louder" from inside the cabin then it normally does for a short while until the engine warms up and it goes back to normal.

Well, since last week the engine "whoosh" under acceleration never goes away, it's there whenever I accelerate from a stop, downshift a gear, etc. The vehicle doesn't appear to be performing abnormally, no issues, no warning lights, etc. It is just noticeably louder from the engine bay into the cabin environment. It sounds like a loud whooosing noise that increases as the rpm increases. Usually, the sound is much more muted, and sounds like normal engine accelaration. Right now it sounds like a jet engine ramping up.

This is really bugging me, and even as the weather has warmed into the 50's it is still doing it. Has anyone seen this or know what may be happening? I don't even know how to explain it to a service tech if I had to.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your V8 has a fan clutch, it may need to be replaced.

How do I find out if I have one, and if it is defective?

Just so you guys know, it was the fan clutch. I replaced it tonight and the problem is fixed. For future reference, if any of you ever experience a condition where there is a loud wind noise coming from the engine compartment on acceleration, it is most likely the fan clutch that needs replacing.

On an aside has anyone replaced the mechanical engine driven fan with a thermostaticly controlled electric fan set up?

Dr Plastic said:
On an aside has anyone replaced the mechanical engine driven fan with a thermostaticly controlled electric fan set up?

Tons of people have. Run a search for "electric fan" and you'll get more info and opinions than you can shake a stick at.

-Joe

Just so you guys know, it was the fan clutch. I replaced it tonight and the problem is fixed. For future reference, if any of you ever experience a condition where there is a loud wind noise coming from the engine compartment on acceleration, it is most likely the fan clutch that needs replacing.

Could this also pertain to a 2003 4.0? I just swapped vehicles with my daughter and "received" the '03 (with lots of issues). It has had a loud noise upon acceleration just like you described.

Could this also pertain to a 2003 4.0? I just swapped vehicles with my daughter and "received" the '03 (with lots of issues). It has had a loud noise upon acceleration just like you described.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

This thread is over 8 years old and you probably won't get a reply. Check the date of the last post right above the user name on the left to see how current the thread is. Having said that:

Be sure to check out the 3rd Generation Sub-Forums:

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Questions related to modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. For Sport Trac and Sport models use the 1995-2001 forum. Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

Good luck and Happy Exploring!

In my experience, a bad fan clutch is similar to a bad pulley. Spin the blade, if it's bad, it'll spin freely and a rotation or two if not more. Giving the blade a spin on a good fan clutch should not yield a single rotation. In other words a good fan clutch should have resistance to being spun by hand..

Again, that's my experience.

Thanks for the replies. I realize the thread was old but I was hoping someone may stumble upon it. I just got the Explorer and now finding a multitude of issues. This site is a great source to find suggestions and solutions. Number 4: I tried the spinning fan idea, and it had resistance. So, I guess I'll have the PCM checked next. I'll be sure to post any updates/progress. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Number4, I appear to have a similar issue, but the fan clutch on my truck won't freewheel at all when you spin it by hand - it stops immediately. I'm leaning on the possibility of a seized clutch on mine, which is always locked. Any thoughts? My truck won't warm up at all, unless I put a block in front of the grille and bumper. Looks like heck but it works a little!

If I try to spin the blade with the belt still on, it rotates only to the next blade position before stopping. This is a properly functioning clutch. This was also after the car had sat over night.
If the thermostat failed, it will have done so in the open position, this means the coolant would be circulating from the get go. This would result in the engine running cold and taking a long time to warm up.

Update! It was the fan clutch. Took a chance and had it replaced and it stopped the loud roaring noise upon acceleration. Thanks for all the feedback/suggestions. The forum is great!

Good to hear, or not I suppose. Lol

Back