• Register Today It's free!

Dashboard cleaning 101

roamingphantom

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 EX Limited, 302A
The carwash put Armorall on my dash, now it reflects like a christmas tree. What do you recommend i use to clean it?

Below was taken from the manual - i cant find something to "dull" the reflection.

• Avoid cleaners or polishes that increase the gloss of the upper portion
of the instrument panel. The dull finish in this area helps protect the
driver from undesirable windshield reflection.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just use 409 or Windex and a microfiber towel. I use Meguires natural look protectant as it does not make the surface shiny. It looks like the day you drove it home!

Armorall is the worst stuff out there to use!

I use Vinylx protectant, no raw silicone oil which can damage a dash after a while.
(409 or Windex-bad idea-also any chems that may off gas or are too harsh).

Its buffed in after application, and this one is the low shine/mat finish.
...not antistatic - look for antistatic especially if your car is black.

..but after all that elbow grease it has a dark low shine & looks new inside, but no greasy or oily residue, provided you buff it good and let it sit for a while in normal temps - like 40* and up,
and maybe buff again if you notice any residue. But I havent had to do that.
(dont apply in direct hot sunlight or when its below freezing.)

Use it on any hard textured black surface and plastic on outside and inside;on the doors, dash, console, center stack, door seals, all other seals(especially windshield & sunroof), liftgate, 3rd row, rockers, bumpers, valiance, etc, leaves everything nice and new looking & UV protected until the next application - for external-approx after every car wash or at least every season.

I did the dash too.
There is some reflection but not any more noticeable after a few days, I lightly laid it on and buffed it out well.
I think it would be a problem while driving if you put on too much for sure.
You need to buff it in good, applying it then leaving it is a disaster.

Do not use these type of items on the inside on the pillars or cloth-like sections around the dash, pillars, cargo area, and doors. It cant be buffed in as the texture is too deep and tends to pool in shiny areas on these surfaces. Stick to any hard plastic.

DO NOT put on the door step areas and hand grabs. Regardless that it says not shiny or slick, all these products will be slick until enough use, feet, etc dull it again. Its slick right after applying. Use non acidic soap and water for these areas. (baby soap is usually PH balanced.)

also in the manual in the Fluids and Measures
Motorcraft Vinyl Cleaner (Canada only) (CXC-93)
what about :usa:???

The Windex is only to get the Armorall off not to be construed as a protectant!

I would agree with you there, not easy to clean off any of these chems...
also I wouldnt use any RainX products made for the interior...

I would agree with you there, not easy to clean off any of these chems...
also I wouldnt use any RainX products made for the interior...

I made this mistake too. I used that antifog crap and it was like looking through a prism at night, during the day it wasnt bad. Anyway i took care of the dash and windshield with one of the Turtle Wax products for glass and vinyl. All is back to normal now, just waiting for a nice warmer day to use the Lexol cleaner and conditioner on the seats and maybe some of that Zaino stuff that i picked up.

I wish I could remember the name of the stuff I use on the dash, honestly it's the best thing I've ever used. It gives a slight shine to the dashboard but it doesn't glare, it repels dust, dirt, etc (as a smoker it's great, no ashes) and it lasts a long time...last time I cleaned my dash was probably 3 months ago and it still looked new. All I can remember about it was it comes in a green bottle and smells like coconut. When I get my explorer back from the body shop, hopefully this week, I'll post up the name.

What ??? !!!
I Googled " Vinylx " and all that came up was nail polish !
-
Did you use the "Ruby Red Chromelux Metallic" color on the dash?

Pics ??? !!!

:^O

...comes in a green bottle and smells like coconut. When I get my explorer back from the body shop, hopefully this week, I'll post up the name.

Could be the Turtle Wax interior thing with coconut scent. I saw it on their website. I think we used the same thing, mine didnt have a scent. Trying to maintain the new car scent after 1yr and 7k miles and its going strong still.

Could be the Turtle Wax interior thing with coconut scent. I saw it on their website. I think we used the same thing, mine didnt have a scent. Trying to maintain the new car scent after 1yr and 7k miles and its going strong still.

That might actually be what it is. My new car scent lasted about 2 weeks, but my mother fusion that's 2 years old still smells new.

What ??? !!!
I Googled " Vinylx " and all that came up was nail polish !
-
Did you use the "Ruby Red Chromelux Metallic" color on the dash?

Pics ??? !!!

:^O

VinylX is in the Lexol family of products.
All the different wipes shown here are awesome, and if you baggie them up when not in use and dont let them freeze or sit in a 100* garage, they keep for a long time.:thumbsup:
http://www.autogeek.net/lexol.html?gclid=CMicrbvCrL0CFYFQOgodaQQArwhttp://www.autogeek.net/lexol.html?gclid=CMicrbvCrL0CFYFQOgodaQQArw

Can you get VinylX at Pep Boys, AutoZone, or any other automotive Supply Store?

Can you get VinylX at Pep Boys, AutoZone, or any other automotive Supply Store?

Yes, and O'Reilly as well.

It is great stuff... I use it on all my cars...

Yes, and O'Reilly as well.

It is great stuff... I use it on all my cars...

Been to 3 AutoZones, 2 O' Reilly's in Riverside County and none have any of it.

Gotta go north Im guessing.

Check Walmart stock, they carry
Lexol Leather Cleaner and Conditioner
Lexol VinylX

If you buy it in bottles check them first, the bottles can leak from the seam or the top and it can be a mess.

The wipes are great but if the can is tipped the fluid can settle and that can be a mess too(like sitting at the top). Its got a lot in the bottom as it is.

Been to 3 AutoZones, 2 O' Reilly's in Riverside County and none have any of it.

Gotta go north Im guessing.

It's in a baby-blue bottle with white spray-top... It's nearly everywhere here!

It's in a baby-blue bottle with white spray-top... It's nearly everywhere here!

I asked at every store, employees looked it up.....NO JOY!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back