Gas Mileage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas Mileage

jchrysl

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford explorer xlt
yes I have a 2005 explorer with the 4.0 and was wondering if there is an tips to better gas mileage im getting about 16.6 and my egr valve needs replaced im guessing once I do that it will help and it has a new oil change and new air filter any other tips?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes I have a 2005 explorer with the 4.0 and was wondering if there is an tips to better gas mileage im getting about 16.6 and my egr valve needs replaced im guessing once I do that it will help and it has a new oil change and new air filter any other tips?

I'd be thrilled with getting 16.6 MPG in a 4.0L Explorer. Just keep up with your general tune up maintenance and take that good gas mileage and run with it.

I am hoping it's because of the cold weather but I have been getting around 8-9 mpg. My truck is lifted with 32" tires but it is down from 12-13. I am hoping nothing is wrong. Everything seems to be working and it is driving fine.

My 05, 4.0, gets 17 on the freeway and 15 around town, if I drive it. Wife, she gets 13 because she thinks it's a race between stop signs.

With mud boggers for tires, I'd expect around 8-10.

Sounds like you are driving cautiously, I'd be happy with your mileage. These are heavy rigs. My 05 weighs almost 1000 lbs more than my 94.

I don't understand why Ford ever made a 4.0L V-6. I had one in a '00 Ranger, got about 16 mpgs, traded it for an F-150 with a 5.4L and still got about 16 mpgs. I now have a Mountaineer with a 4.6L and get 17-18 all day long, and 21-22 if I keep it on the highway.

Might want to check your mileage again after the summer blend gas is introduced in a few weeks. Mine always gets better mileage in the warm months, then drops to about 14mpg during the winter months.

Might want to check your mileage again after the summer blend gas is introduced in a few weeks. Mine always gets better mileage in the warm months, then drops to about 14mpg during the winter months.

I second this notion. Also, remember that when you are warming up the Ex to get the heater nice and toasty, you are getting 0 miles to the gallon.

. Also, remember that when you are warming up the Ex to get the heater nice and toasty, you are getting 0 miles to the gallon.

That's my problem. I sit and idle too long (On weekends, drinking coffee, staying warm while waiting for the gym to open) and my Explorer thinks it's drinking thru an oversized crazy straw when I do this. :chug: It just guzzles it down.

ok I just was not sure what everyone was getting for mileage but sounds like im doing pretty decent thanks everyone

Another confirmation on the mileage.

I've been getting 16 city and 20 highway with my 4.0L XLT since I bought it in 2003.

So, you are on the money. That's about as good as it gets!

I think my m.p.g gauge may be a little off perhaps. At times going down the highway around 70 mph it will read up to 31mpg but usually averages around 21 or 22mpg. I think I need to replace a few of these type sensors to get the correct readings. Also my external temperature always reads 127 degrees and here in Indiana it has been no where near that.

I think my m.p.g gauge may be a little off perhaps. At times going down the highway around 70 mph it will read up to 31mpg but usually averages around 21 or 22mpg. I think I need to replace a few of these type sensors to get the correct readings. Also my external temperature always reads 127 degrees and here in Indiana it has been no where near that.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Here is the thread for replacing the Ambient Temperature Sensor:

How To: Replace 3rd Gen Ambient Air Temperature Sensor

Good luck getting it sorted. :thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

summer blend is the answer! I drive a 2005 4.0 like all of you. All winter my average was 17.3. This week its 20.5.

Back