• Register Today It's free!

First Post Here, tonneau question

daChurchPcGuy

Reaction score
City, State
Longmeadow, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Sport Trac
I pick up my new to me 2005 Sport Trac XLT next week and it doesn't have a tonneau cover. I found a couple OEM covers on CL, one with hardware.

My question is: how waterproof are these covers? I plan on keeping tools in the bed so I'd like to keep the dry.

thanks for any input

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not too waterproof

I have a 2004 XLT that came with a cover, I keep my offshore bag in the bed with the tools for my job. It never gets wet in the bed. If you do put a cover on it put a thin rubber gasket down before the cover. I think that helps keeping gear in the back dry.

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the cover off the vehicle? I need to figure out if it will fit in my wife's trunk. (Car trunk)

If I can't get one I'll make one out of aluminum diamond plat, it's been done before but I like the way the OEM looks on the truck.

I can't get measurements myself right now but when I bought mine, the guy I bought it from brought it in the back of his new Fusion with the rear seats folded down.

Argh! Neither cover has the bed hardware. Both sellers assumed the hardware was on all Sport Tracs when they removed them. Well, I made them both an offer so we'll see. They're both on the other side of the state, near Boston.

I'm headed that way for something else anyway.

I've had aftermarket vinyl tonneaus on both my Tracs and they are virtually waterproof.
In my case I actually use it like a pickup truck frequently and need the whole bed open, so a hard cover wouldn't work for me.

I'm in the same boat as JohnnyO and I needed easy access to the bed often but wanted to keep all my tools dry and out of sight like you do. I had a soft snap on cover on but it was a pain in the winter and easy to break into. So I got an Advantage Hard Hat try fold cover and the bed has been waterproof/theftproof since. Its a hard aluminum skin wrapped in vinyl like snap on covers so it keeps the look I want.

Wow, the Advantage Hard Hat looks great, it's just about $400 over my budget.

The first seller wouldn't budge from his $200 price without hardware and the second left it at work so I came back empty handed.

Once I get the truck I'll measure it and see if I want to tackle fabricating a cover from aluminum plate. My favorite scrapyard keeps a good stock of various sizes that he sells for 2X the scrap price. It's been done a few times, I've seen picks on the net.

I may also troll the local boneyards just in case they have an ST.

I can't remember where I got mine but it ran me about 400. It was quite a while ago I picked it up.

I got my factory one with hardware and in great shape for $150.

I got my factory one with hardware and in great shape for $150.

So did I! I had to drive 2.5 hours to New Hampshire but it was worth it. The PO had already removed it from his wrecked 2002 and helped me install it. Now I need to re-key it to match my truck.

I think I gained between .2 and .4 MPG with the tonneau, not much but it's something. I was running my torque app with a bluetooth adapter on the OBDII port and monitored MPG going and coming back.

It's nice to be able to secure my tools. Now I gotta find out how to remove the locks, I'm sure it's been addressed here or at mysporttrac.com. Both sites have been very helpful.:D

Back