LED turn signal how-to (front & rear) | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED turn signal how-to (front & rear)

Here is a link to the 25 watt leds:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Power-...Domain_0&var=530171323077&hash=item35c94f99e3

20140203_164029_3.jpg~320x480

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those still look a bit orange-ish. Is that just due to the camera?

I believe (or better said "hope") that in California no orange / amber lighting is required anywhere on the vehicle. The way I read the DMV code, this seems to be the case. So what I'm looking for is a very red light, matching the small 3 LEDs on the upper corner.

Those still look a bit orange-ish. Is that just due to the camera?

I believe (or better said "hope") that in California no orange / amber lighting is required anywhere on the vehicle. The way I read the DMV code, this seems to be the case. So what I'm looking for is a very red light, matching the small 3 LEDs on the upper corner.
From the California DMV

V C Section 24953 Turn Signal Lamps

Turn Signal Lamps

24953. (a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24953.htm

Peter

...white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.
Peter

Yes, I'm looking for the *red* part of that equation. And white for the front.

i.e. no amber anywhere.

It is definitely just the camera. The leds themselves light up red. I do not think you will ever match the color of those 3 small leds since they are behind a smoked housing it makes them appear a slightly deeper red. The turn signals are behind a clear lens so the color will be slightly lighter.

well, i think i'll be wrapping the taillight in a (transparent) red vinyl, so that should help with the redness. I might even throw a slight tint on to the white parts first.

i messaged the guy you bought the 25w leds from to see if he'd give me the same deal, but he just sent me the same link you posted (that are like ~$35). I'll probably just order em directly from China for half the price and wait a few weeks to get em ;)

p.s. is your explorer white, or is there just that much snow up in the northeast right now? :D

well, i think i'll be wrapping the taillight in a (transparent) red vinyl, so that should help with the redness. I might even throw a slight tint on to the white parts first.

i messaged the guy you bought the 25w leds from to see if he'd give me the same deal, but he just sent me the same link you posted (that are like ~$35). I'll probably just order em directly from China for half the price and wait a few weeks to get em ;)

p.s. is your explorer white, or is there just that much snow up in the northeast right now? :D
Red backup lights?

Peter

has anybody heard about these V3 triton from v leds?it includes the resistor already.

It will fit. They have v3 for the 7443-7440 just not in white. So if you like red or amber your all set.......:thumbsup:

I just replaced all turns and markers with Vleds platinums. They all worked and function great. NO RESISTORS REQUIRED IF YOU REPLACE ALL FOUR TURN LIGHTS. At first I just installed the front markers and turns. The signals hyperflashed. Then I installed the rears and blink rate returned to normal..... FYI

still no hyperflashing with these platinums without the resistor?

Front signals CREE

Has anyone replaced their front signals with CREE bulbs? I had 27 SMD LED bulbs in the front and they worked fine, no resistor needed. I put in brighter CREE+12 SMD bulbs and had flasher issues and scorched side markers. I didn't have extra resistors laying around, so I was wondering if the fronts need resistors with bigger bulbs?

These 4W bulbs
creesignals.jpg

caused this (they still worked):
frontmarkers.jpg

Hi all, a few questions regarding the swap

1. The original side marker bulbs are not amber, can I use a white t10LED to get a better light output compared to an amber T10 LED?

2. The front turn signal bulbs are amber, can i replace it with white T25 LED instead? and rely on the amber reflector to make the output amber?

I am thinking of going with this combo instead of the amber LED replacements with the expectation of getting a brighter light output.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

UPDATE:

Got the white LED's today and tried them on.

PROS: The white leds gave a brighter light output (WIN)
CONS: It made the color output yellow instead of amber (FAIL :)

Ordering my amber leds now.

Hi Again, could I use T20 LEDS for the front turn signals instead of the T25's?

Stick with what Harley used and you'll be happy with the result.

Stick with what Harley used and you'll be happy with the result.

Do the Crees that u and Harley installed for rear turn signals have bright enough light to illuminate the reflector housing instead of the just the dot look?

I have seen some with the dot look and not much in the reflector housing and they aren't as visible as having both shining the same brightness in the sun. The stock bulbs do a good job of lighting the reflector they just don't have that crisp on and off like the LEDs do. How would you rate the LEDs as for reflector illumination and overall brightness compared to the stock bulbs?

You mentioned you used red, I will stick with the amber for the contrast, but this will give me an idea on what these bulbs are like.

Thanks-tinner

The LED bulb does look like a dot and does not use the reflector. However it is bright enough to compensate for that. I also like that the rear lights are clear until they are activated. In my opinion the amber looks awful and I prefer the crisp on/off of the LED.

The LED bulb does look like a dot and does not use the reflector. However it is bright enough to compensate for that. I also like that the rear lights are clear until they are activated. In my opinion the amber looks awful and I prefer the crisp on/off of the LED.

I agree that the stock bulb doesn't look good with the clear lens when its not firing. I just want an LED that also uses the reflector for illumination also.

I'm planning on trying these out for the front signals; most likely the ones with the diffuser: elef LEDs

For the rear I used a pair of 50w Osram amber led bulbs with a total of 10 LEDs each. Slightly dot like in appearance but barely noticeable. They are plenty visible in direct bright sunlight. No resistor required.

I'm planning on trying these out for the front signals; most likely the ones with the diffuser: elef LEDs

For the rear I used a pair of 50w Osram amber led bulbs with a total of 10 LEDs each. Slightly dot like in appearance but barely noticeable. They are plenty visible in direct bright sunlight. No resistor required.

Thanks 33 for the ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all, Good topic and lots of good input. Our companies, DAYTIME BrightLites and DriveBright.com are in the process of putting together a couple of Ford Explorer specific LED bulb kits and have been hung up on finding a good performing amber LED for the rear turn signal. We have tested well over 15 different style LEDs and still haven't found one that performs well enough. The problem is finding a bright enough LED that fills the entire reflector area with light. We have tried high power LEDs (80W CREEs) to bulbs using dozens of small LEDs wrapped fully around the bulb. We haven't been satisfied with any of them.

The few LEDs that forum members said they were happy with on this thread, did these LEDs do a good job filling the reflector area with light? Our concern is that the Explorer taillight design is not a very good design, having the turn signal surrounded by the bright red brake light. The red brake light LEDs obscures the turn signal light. Filling the reflector with light is critical in making the turn signal stand out enough.

We are holding off on launching the Explorer LED kit until we can find a turn signal LED that we consider to be safe to use. Thanks in advance for any help.

(On a side note, check out our new Explorer LED Dome Light Upgrade. Our LED dome lights eliminate the stock yellowish LED light replacing it with a bright pure white color. Our new dome lights also produce 5 times the amount of light compared to the stock LED dome. Check it out by clicking on our company banner below or go to www.DriveBright.com)

ExplorerBanner_zps85c57fac.gif

Back