• Register Today It's free!

Stereo/Radio Grounding out

Erek_97Sport

Reaction score
City, State
traverse city, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
when ever i take a right turn going over like 10mph my radio grounds out or when just my right tire drops like when going over a bump or hitting a pot hole. im defiantly not an electrical guy so i have no idea where to look. the turning made me think steering wheel but then with the bump i was thinking its by the shock or something. this gets really annoying so id like to get this fixed as soon as possible

so my questions are:

1. has anyone had this problem

2. where should i start my looking

any info is appreciated. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By grounds out, what do you mean?

The radio gets tons of static, it just turns off, please explain.

It kills the radio completely. Would those two things be caused by diffent things and by things I mean grounding out static and dieing completely

If it's static, it's the antenna.
If it actually turns off completely, ie, the display goes out and then the radio turns back on, you've definitely got a loose connection on the back of the radio.

Under the radio, above the heater controls there are two 7mm bolts. Take those off and you can pull off that entire black trim piece around the radio. That pulls out the radio with it.
Then you just have to check that the plug is nice and snug in the back of the radio, and make sure all the wiring in that plug is also tight, it may have fallen out from the harness.

yeah it completely dies so im gonna take the radio out and see if that works out. thats gonna have to wait a few days tho. my truck is stuck about 10miles away in a random parking lot. my brakes failed when i was slowing down going 70. everyone is safe and sound (thank god) but i couldnt borrow my friends truck and car dolly today. hopefully i can tomorrow. gotta love life lol

alright i pulled the sterio and looked at the plugs and they were all the way in. pulled eachone made sure the wires themselfs were in the plugs good and they were. checked the antenna wire on the back of the radio and that was also all the way on and looked like there was nothing wrong with it. i dont know how to get to the other end (where it goes to the bottom of the antenna) it looks like id have to take my fender off to get to it. or maybe the door?

alright i pulled the sterio and looked at the plugs and they were all the way in. pulled eachone made sure the wires themselfs were in the plugs good and they were. checked the antenna wire on the back of the radio and that was also all the way on and looked like there was nothing wrong with it. i dont know how to get to the other end (where it goes to the bottom of the antenna) it looks like id have to take my fender off to get to it. or maybe the door?

You need to take the inner fender off to access the antenna.
But if the radio is completely losing power, it's not the antenna.
I think it's still a bad radio connection somewhere.

its funny cause 90% of the time i use the cd player and when im using the cd player the hole thing shuts off and when im listening to the radio none of my chanels are coming in. so its all sorts of messed up

Do you have access to a new headunit? A scrap yard one that you can throw in and check if it works?

sorry what you mean by head unit? like the hole stereo (big cube lol)

if thats what you mean yes and in not yes lol imm surrounded my junk yards

Yes, the whole radio, lol.

I would grab one from the junkyard, same kind, hook it up and see if the same problem continues.

alright lol i was pretty sure.

and yeah thatll be my next place im headed... after secretary of state. some ****** bag stole my license plate and i have to go get another one. and the cop said that i should get it for free since im bringing in a police report but he cant guarantee it because its the secretary of state and they do what they want. i couldnt help but laugh

That's how the gov't works.

Just make sure you deregister those plates before someone uses them to commit a crime.

That's how the gov't works.

Just make sure you deregister those plates before someone uses them to commit a crime.

yeah i had that done at the same time the police report was filed.

i was getting ready to go to the secretary and now i cant find the police report... wasnt worried about that but i registration was with it. this is just my luck

alright well i ended up not going and getting a radio. i havent been using the cd player lately just the radio and im not having the problem. so i think it is the plug in the bottom of the 6cd changer in the center consol. when i bought the truck the cd player didnt work and the guy before me couldnt figure out why. the plug had come undone. so im hoping that it just wigled loose again.

alright well i ended up not going and getting a radio. i havent been using the cd player lately just the radio and im not having the problem. so i think it is the plug in the bottom of the 6cd changer in the center consol. when i bought the truck the cd player didnt work and the guy before me couldnt figure out why. the plug had come undone. so im hoping that it just wigled loose again.

Sometimes it's just the CD player that goes bad in general.

Sometimes it's just the CD player that goes bad in general.

yeah i hadnt thought of that. could be. but it plays fine other then when im turning right so idk

Back