List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Wow, That would mean the fenders are steel. I am positive the 02-10 trucks have aluminum fenders though.

I spoke with the dealer & was informed that the hood & door skins are aluminum & in one breath stated that he never her of this paint problem & in the next stated that they have been having these issues ever since they started using the aluminum in the mustangs.

They have submitted photos & my issue to Ford & now I wait for a reply. My question is are they going to paint over the defective hood hoping that the warranty runs out before it happens again or am I getting a new hood?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I spoke with the dealer & was informed that the hood & door skins are aluminum & in one breath stated that he never her of this paint problem & in the next stated that they have been having these issues ever since they started using the aluminum in the mustangs.

They have submitted photos & my issue to Ford & now I wait for a reply. My question is are they going to paint over the defective hood hoping that the warranty runs out before it happens again or am I getting a new hood?
In reading the other posts in this thread, I would say they are repainting the hood.

Peter

...They have submitted photos & my issue to Ford & now I wait for a reply...

Thanks for keeping us posted as things have progressed, Grizz593. I'm happy to step in and see how I can help; PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll check out options to assist.

Crystal

Thanks for keeping us posted as things have progressed, Grizz593. I'm happy to step in and see how I can help; PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll check out options to assist.

Crystal

I am set to have the hood painted on the 17th. This was the last straw for me. Once the good weather gets here I am cutting my losses with this POS & getting myself a beater to drive. WAY to much BS to have to deal with a brand new vehicle that cost me 48K.

Update:
The paint shop deemed that the hoods corrosion is to far into the seam & they would not be able to guarantee the work. The 3rd party had to make the call for the dealer & now they are replacing the hood. Now I have to play games with back & forth with picking up & then yet again dropping off the car to have it worked on. Like I have nothing better to do with my time. If they just had the balls in the first place to make a decision on their own I would not have to deal with the extra BS.

I had my hood repainted for bubbling all along the front edge just last fall with roughly 55k. I believe they repainted the area but then recleared the entire thing. Looks as good as new. I just wonder how long it will last considering my bumper to bumper just expired.

I had the same problem on my 13' Brought it in Tuesday to get fixed. Picked it up yesterday. Looks great. I had the same problem. 2 Bubbles in the paint on the edge of the hood by where the latch is. Fixed under warranty.

Paint on leading edge of hood bubbling.

My 2012 Explorer (bought new and now 2yrs and 3mo old) has four very distinct areas where the paint is bubbling up from under the leading edge of the hood and spreading up onto the front of the hood. I just rolled 40K miles and my local dealer told me since I've exceeded the 3yr/36K they can't help me. I'm a bit shocked that after only two years there is this much corrosion from under the hood. I have a 98 Taurus with 233K and not a spec of corrosion on the front edge of the hood. I've noticed 10 people on this forum alone that have mentioned this concern and I have two others where I work with the same issue but not near as bad as mine. There has to be something Ford can do with future models to rectify this issue. Is there a remedy for my situation?

Welcome to the Forum VicROs3.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one on the same issue.
I recommend contacting Crystal (FordService), the Ford rep that monitors this forum and see if there is anything she can do to help. You can use the following link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

My 2012 Explorer (bought new and now 2yrs and 3mo old) has four very distinct areas where the paint is bubbling up from under the leading edge of the hood and spreading up onto the front of the hood...

Hi VicROs3,

As Peter mentioned, I'll be happy to look into this to see how I can assist. Send a PM my way with the info he listed and we'll get started. :thumbsup:

Crystal

My 2012 Explorer (bought new and now 2yrs and 3mo old) has four very distinct areas where the paint is bubbling up from under the leading edge of the hood and spreading up onto the front of the hood. I just rolled 40K miles and my local dealer told me since I've exceeded the 3yr/36K they can't help me. I'm a bit shocked that after only two years there is this much corrosion from under the hood. I have a 98 Taurus with 233K and not a spec of corrosion on the front edge of the hood. I've noticed 10 people on this forum alone that have mentioned this concern and I have two others where I work with the same issue but not near as bad as mine. There has to be something Ford can do with future models to rectify this issue. Is there a remedy for my situation?

I have started a conversation w Crystal and hope the factory will pony up with a new hood primed w zinc chromate and finished green gem.....

seems like improper prep and edge stressing during bending is leaving the metal susceptable to this corrosion...... the little metallurgy that I understand makes this a reasonable explanation.... just checked under the weather stripping and everyone here should check as well,,,,, the bubbling is more than half the length of the front edge underneath AND this isn't just the front edge seam. I see the underneath side of the hood skin is bubbling under the lightly painted surface in many locations....... lightly pull the edge weather stripping back and look up under there....

I am going to check thoroughly over the weekend and I expect it will be around the hinge fasteners as well.... will report back .....

RN

I bought a certified used 2011 Explorer and had the EXACT SAME bubbling issue in several spots on the tip of the hood.
I was told that since I was past my 36,000 mile warranty, it w/ be covered under the 5 year corrosion warranty, not to worry.
The catch was that I had to wait till the paint actually came off. Wonderful...
Well after a few months I see several new bubbles, and the existing ones grew in size until one finally did flake off, exposing the Aluminum underneath.
I took it back to my dealer and was told that FORD HQ wouldn't cover me because it wasn't "rusted through the hood" .
I explained that it's ALUMINUM and this is aluminum's version of "rusting"
as I was told from my local auto body guy ( he's in Business over 40 years and now owns a 2013 Explorer!)
Even the local dealership was sympathetic and I have several calls into FORD HQ and am awaiting a resolution as to why this is being deemed acceptable ( a 3 year old truck should not be losing it's paint, I don't care WHAT they say!)
All this is to say, have it taken care of BY FORD and have them warranty it for a min of 3 years ( my auto body guy didn't want to repaint it because he swore that it will come back). and this was his suggestion.
Good luck and keep us all posted as I will do too.

JR

Welcome to the Forum Pachanga22.:wavey:
There are quite a few members that have had this paint issue fixed by Ford. Most under warranty, some without warranty. Is suggest that you contact Crystal (FordService) as mentioned in some of the previous posts and see if see can help in anyway to get this looked after.
Good luck.

Peter

Ugg. I have 21000 miles on my sport and just noticed a paint bubble on the hood that chipped off. About the size of a dime. Chipped off Right to the metal.

Surprise, I have rust on the hood, and the clear coat is flaking off around the roof rack, on my 2011 Limited, with 57,000 miles. I'm now in contact with a Ford customer service rep, via my dealer, so we'll see what happens. Here are some pics.

i-ct8hj5Z-X2.jpg

i-TKsWSKW-X2.jpg

i-pdbMFdm-X2.jpg

i-GT83Jsb-X2.jpg

i-m3GCZp2-X2.jpg

i-CwB9Hdb-X2.jpg

i-qDCpm28-X2.jpg

i-2TSmx6f-X2.jpg

i-rJR9Mkp-X2.jpg

i-TKGmbDL-X2.jpg

i-hHnPr4t-X2.jpg

i-vJM35bR-X2.jpg

That's not good but I can assure you it isn't rust. Aluminium corrodes but doesn't rust. In any case that should b e addressed by the dealer and Ford since this has happened on quite a few Explorers. Good luck.

Peter

That's not good but I can assure you it isn't rust. Aluminium corrodes but doesn't rust. In any case that should b e addressed by the dealer and Ford since this has happened on quite a few Explorers. Good luck.

Peter

I found out the hood was aluminum later....rust, corrosion, which ever...still sucks the big one. Those pics are going to Ford today, so we shall see.

Really just INCREDIBLE for a truck so expensive and only 3 years old.... If it is rust or not it's just not acceptable.

There are members who had this (hood) repaired at Ford's expense even though they were out of warranty.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are members who had this (hood) repaired at Ford's expense even though they were out of warranty.

Peter

So far, as of today, Ford is offering to cover half the $2500 repair cost, my dealer is willing to pick up $500 of the other half, which would leave me with 700 and some change......I don't think so.

Back