First Time Chain Rattle on Start Up, 2004 4.6L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First Time Chain Rattle on Start Up, 2004 4.6L

Exploder141

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
For the first time since I owned the vehicle (been a couple of years). I noticed a chain rattle. It was only 1-2 second on start up. The weather was warm and the oil level was lower than it should be (was just before an oil change, its has a slow oil leak from a small hairline crack on the timing cover; the crack is from an old belt pulley going bad not from the chain or anything like that). Other than this one time on start up I have never noticed rattling.

How worried should I be about this?? Is it normal to get a bit of a rattle on start up if the oil level is running low or is this a sure sign the guides are wearing out. Right now the engine has right about 100k miles and has been running perfectly (other than the slow oil leak from the timing cover). Any thoughts on this?

Also wondering if the timing cover is aluminum? And any suggestions on the best epoxy to fill in a hairline crack.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Change the oil and see how it is then.

Change the oil and see how it is then.

I changed the oil and it hasn't happened since. Maybe I'm being too paranoid here. Like I said it only happened once on start up for 1-2 seconds....just wondering if its really a sign of wear or just one time thing. Can I tell anything from a one time rattle? lol

Is the 4.6l suppossed to be better on this issue or are they both the same?

thanks

the cover on my 02 4.6 is aluminum. I had to replace it after the timing chain ate a 3inch hole in it(from previous owner). bought a nice replacement from e-bay for $60. when it starts to grind/rattle all the time I would be worried. till then your probly ok.

If its only at start up its most likely your lifters (lash adjusters) leaking down when the engine is off. They fill up with oil pretty quickly. The check valve ports are probably dirty with crud and not sealing properly. You can try an oil flush with a tarnish remover (SeaFoam or similar) to break up the sludge, or install new lifters.

Back